Do you like power deployable running boards?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see a ton of them stuck down up here in northern mn.
If you keep them clean and spray the hinges once a month with lithium grease lube or even wd40, they won't stick open. We get a ton of snow, ice, mud and they use lots of salt. Never had a problem and u rarely see any stuck down on trucks moving. You do see a lot deployed in parking lots to keep other vehicles from dinging your doors. I do it with mine.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
must be the lazy ******** who don't take care of them then. good to know. might spring for a pair on my new wagon.

mikeru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You do see a lot deployed in parking lots to keep other vehicles from dinging your doors. I do it with mine.
I do this too. Raise suspension to OR2 and deploy the steps. Works great, especially at work. Most of my co-workers drive lower profile cars, so their doors will hit the steps if they aren't paying attention.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys & gals, been awhile since being on here. I have gone through 2 winters with my 2019 and deployable steps. No issues with the steps but zero protection for underside of truck. My rear fender flares have been repainted twice under warranty and the truck is going in on Monday to have them repaired again. I just ordered wheel to wheel from dealer and I'll be selling the power steps. Looks great, functionality great, but absolutely zero protection for rockers and fender flares. I've checked trucks with power steps and no fender flares and there's no issues.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Hi guys & gals, been awhile since being on here. I have gone through 2 winters with my 2019 and deployable steps. No issues with the steps but zero protection for underside of truck. My rear fender flares have been repainted twice under warranty and the truck is going in on Monday to have them repaired again. I just ordered wheel to wheel from dealer and I'll be selling the power steps. Looks great, functionality great, but absolutely zero protection for rockers and fender flares. I've checked trucks with power steps and no fender flares and there's no issues.
you could just remove the flairs and keep the steps lol

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found a RAM truck that I like but that has power deployable running boards. I inquired about swapping the power running boards for the Mopar wheel-to-wheel length stationary running boards. The dealer kindly offered to order the stationary boards for me and even do the swap, but unfortunately they will charge me full price, plus labor, and not buy back or give any discount for me leaving the power running boards with them. The removed power boards would essentially still be mine.

I have never owned a truck with power deployable running boards, but I have been around them and of course ridden in vehicles with them. I'm initially not a fan. Here are reasons why.

1. They are one more moving part that can break.
2. They do not offer protection on the rocker panel or lower door exteriors when in stowed position.
3. I have small kids. When my daughter was two she put her hand on my step-mom's power deployable step bar when it was out and someone closed the door which made the board retract and my daughters hand got caught in it. She did not get hurt or even pinched, but her hand was definitely caught and it scared her as well my wife and I. Our daughter is 8 now, but we have a 9 month old so we're still in the same boat of having small kids around those robot running boards.

Reasons I like the fixed wheel-to-wheel boards.

1. They provide rocker panel and some lower door protection against rocks and chips.
2. You can stand on them when washing the vehicle to reach the wind shield and roof without having to open a door to make a power deployable come out to stand on it. (I'm sure you can program the power running board to stay out if you close the door to wash the roof and whatnot. That way you can keep the door closed so you don't get water in the truck. ) But that's a chore every time you wash the truck to make sure the settings are right.
3. And lastly, I wanted the wheel-to wheel length running board because often enough something in the bed of the truck is near the front bed wall and right in the middle left and right. I'd like a long running board to be able to stand on and reach into that hard to reach spot.

So can anyone tell me if they didn't like power deployable boards at first and then they grew on them? Do you prefer them now?

Or

How simple and likely would it be for me to sell power deployable running boards that were removed from a new Ram 2500? And then I would just install some NFAb's or Mopar stationary running boards myself.

I'm on my 2nd Ram with power running boards and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the old fixed running boards . I will never purchase another truck without the power running boards or if I have to I'll have after market ones installed if I can't get a truck with them from the factory!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on my 2nd Ram with power running boards and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the old fixed running boards . I will never purchase another truck without the power running boards or if I have to I'll have after market ones installed if I can't get a truck with them from the factory!
I agree, but I will also say, I would get OEM and have them installed. They are far better boards than the after market ones I have seen.

CheechDogg.0n37s

@CheechDogg.0n37s @southerncalrams
Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I agree, but I will also say, I would get OEM and have them installed. They are far better boards than the after market ones I have seen.
No way you can honestly say that the OEM power boards are better than RBPs Stealth Power Running Boards or the AMP steps lol ..seriously dude

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No way you can honestly say that the OEM power boards are better than RBPs Stealth Power Running Boards or the AMP steps lol ..seriously dude
Never had RBPs but I for sure can say they kick AMPs butt, DUDE.