Do you take off as soon as the engine starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It amazes me how many people I see start a cold engine and immediately put it in gear and take off.

I don't let my vehicles "warm up", to full operating temperature, but at a minimum I wait until the fast idle goes down before I take off after a complete cold start.

I worked with a guy that jammed his vehicles into reverse the exact second the motor actually started, like it was a game to see how many milliseconds it took for him to get it in gear and take off after the motor started.

Maybe it isn't necessary, but I always waited for the fast idle to go down with my 06 Magnum R/T and it still runs fantastic. I do the same with my 2000 TJ Wrangler as well as my new Ram.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I usually remote start the truck when I'm walking twords it, so you could say I let it run for about a minute before I drop it in gear. First start of the day I'll let it idle a little longer, especially when it's colder out.

Ogrodii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question fellas I’m running Cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust straight pipe no cats, My auto starts turns on but then shuts off after 10 seconds because of check engine light for no cats. Is there a way to bypass this, I heard it shuts off because off the check engine light?

Ps: I also wait 45 sec to 1.5 min before I take off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm old school and let it warm up a little. Want to see the temps rising before take off and then take it easy for a few miles.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Depends.

SOemtimes, I love my truck and let her get going b4 I rev up to speed.
Sometimes, it's damn cold. Could care less about teh turck and I want that engine to redline, if it gets my Butt warmer, quicker.
It's about this time that I remember I could have remote started the damn thing.

Even other times, I am in a hurry and could care less about the drivetrain, I got crap to do.

WOrst time is when I go fishing and only thing I can think of is GETTING TO THE LAKE.
Screw the truck, TO hell with the Boat, Lets go...the fish are waiting.

flyingron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I usually start and then buckle my seat belt and make sure the mirrors are set. Unless the windshield is frosted over or something (less a problem down here in the south), I just out and go.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question fellas I’m running Cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust straight pipe no cats, My auto starts turns on but then shuts off after 10 seconds because of check engine light for no cats. Is there a way to bypass this, I heard it shuts off because off the check engine light?

Ps: I also wait 45 sec to 1.5 min before I take off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A custom tune to turn off the check engine light. Problem solved and it will run better.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My daughter has a Durango RT. She drives 5 miles to and from work 6 day's a week.

She starts the 5.7 hemi then drive and hammers the throttle.

I have taught her to remote start under the guise that if she does her seats will be warm or cool depending on season.

That has worked out and usually let's the oil circulate once before max speed is reached.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely don't do immediate put into drive. I usually wait about 30 seconds to a minute before taking off. Either way, I drive nice and easy until the coolant, trans and oil have had time to heat up. Doesn't take too long in FL :)

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
When cold, I remote start. When not cold, I just get in and like others, just put on the seat belt, wait for my wife to get situated (which can take a while....) and go. That being said, I live in a rural 30 mpg area with pretty much zero traffic so I drive a while before I ever have to stress it at all. I've always felt that warming an engine under a light load is best. Maybe it is....maybe it's not, but that's what I do.

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Start engine put on my seat belt and go just slow till warm

This has been tested to be the best method. Prolonged idling has show excess deposit build up in engines. In the study I read it suggested to start the vehicle and let it run for 20 to 30 seconds then to drive normal until full temps are reached. I assume normal means not to hammer it but to drive in lower RPM range.

That said, I more often then not use the remote start on cold days. However, I don't believe it necessary to let the engine idle up to normal temps.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When its cold out I usually let it warm up for 5 minutes in the morning (mainly so my seat is warm when I get in) and then drive slowly till I'm out of town (another 5 mins).

Now on my way home from work I'll give it 10 minutes to warm up since I work on the edge of town and its right to the highway for my 15 minute commute.

Call me old school but I was taught to always warm up any engine when its cold out. JMO.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I park in a heated garage so in the morning I start it, put my seatbelt on then back out into the alley. I put it in neutral to let the trans circulate its fluid while I wait for the door the close then I am off. I drive easy until it is fully warm.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Hell no! I wait about 3 seconds... That's about how long it takes to get my seatbelt on and oil pressure up.

Most of my vehicles have 200k mi by the time I get rid of them, never had an internal engine issue

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I let it run a few seconds for the oil pressure to rise than put it in gear, but I have a few miles of 25-35mph roads to go until on the freeways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963