Dodge D100 Sway Bar Link - impossible to find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
Well Dodge Trucker a post that reads LMC Sucks. Is wasting people's time, the folks who offer this web site's money. You did offer an explaination, there are many ways to help correct you complanit with LMC. Why wait 14 years to hear back about a catalog. A call from you or a E-mail, would have fixed that ages ago. But as alot of others you would have been disappointed in the catalog and its lack of content.
Given LMC hasn't given 1st Gen Dodge trucks much time, compared to 2nd and 3rd Gens'
And the other brands of trucks it reproduces part for. But looking at it from a business side its smart business. Given the number of 1 st gen Dodge trucks on the road today. And the market research that LMC must have done, probably showed not a profitable business model. To invest in the 1st gen Dodge's(and Canadian Versions).
In the real world Dodge, Plymouth(which is dead) Chrysler and (Jeep). They are the red headed step children in the aftermarket parts supply. Except for Jeep which if wasn't for the aftermarket world Jeep would have dead years ago. Yes the Hemi car's have a good following and the 68-70 Dodge Chargers and the Callengers/Cuda's.
Everything else you rely on somebody's parts stash. Swap meets, E-bay, Amazon, Craigslist ect.
But posting a company sucks is unproductive, and makes said writer look bad.

Ken

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Thank you all. Yes, I'm going to all the inspector and ask him if he'll still pass the truck without the anti sway bar. I believe that one of the reasons the links are not availbe anymore is because they are not needed. The rebulid kit appears to represent a new way of accomplishing the original result. I'll also ask if the shop is willing to replace the antiwsay bar using the new hardware. If I get a yes to the first question, I'll skip the second question.

The inspector is being picky. My concern about removing the antisway bar is that I'm guessing he'll say that removing a factory part does not fix the problem (even though there is a slight chance it may not be factory). Just because he is an inspector, I'm not sure he understands what a sway bar is and how it works...but I could be wrong. I frequently am.

Thanks again all!

I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for proving this is a good forum to be part of.

-Rick

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
I have 4 old dodge trucks. I definitely don't think the pic you posted is OEM. not enough rust and dirt. :p

are those restoration pics? seems concourse level of clean
My pics included plenty of dirt and rust but they sure look like what are on my truck. :) Mine is a "preservation", not a "restoration"

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
I have 4 old dodge trucks. I definitely don't think the pic you posted is OEM. not enough rust and dirt. :p

are those restoration pics? seems concourse level of clean
The parts he needs could be made in the home shop. With a little welding and metal forming. I know I could pull it off. Or even repairing the old part, way can't another threaded pin portion be added . I would buy a less exspensive GM sway bar link, cut to size. Weld it up, and be done. Or mock it up and take it to who ever in your area that can TIG weld it for you.

Ken

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
I wish I could do all that. I totally understand what ou are saying. The part is not complicated. Nothing like have skill and the right tools. I lack both.

Maybe there is a business opportunity here! End links for Gen 1 Dodge truck swaybars. I have checked out every person's response. Now I have more options than when I started. Thanks again!

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
These dodge trucks were not popular enough in their day to create the strong aftermarket experienced by the other makes.

Where's all the repro Edsel and Studebaker parts? Same reason....

25 years ago, I'm pretty sure LMC only carried Chevy parts. I was having their catalogs mailed to me.

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
The parts he needs could be made in the home shop. With a little welding and metal forming. I know I could pull it off. Or even repairing the old part, way can't another threaded pin portion be added . I would buy a less exspensive GM sway bar link, cut to size. Weld it up, and be done. Or mock it up and take it to who ever in your area that can TIG weld it for you.

Ken
I just re-read your post here Ken. Thank yoiu. I may pull the old part to see if somone can fix it! Thanks. I am also pursing replacing the entire antisway bar with the replacement with different links. Then I would take it to another inspector. My current inspector is not cooperating.

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
The shop where I took my truck is willing to install the Addco part #134 sway bar and bushing replacement kit including modified end links. They refused by pass the truck if I simply remove the front sway bar. If they install it, they should pass it. Will keep you posted.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
sounds like a great way to drum up business. Hopefully they're being legitimate with you.

the Addco part is about $250 or so. Not a tough job as long as you can get over the anxiety of drilling your frame. depending on how much they're charging, may want to consider installing it your self. It should only take you an hour or two.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of the older cars used a very similar if not identical link.
If you still have the old one, I would just have a new stud welded onto it and new bushings.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

OP
OP
L

Larsonrjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Hey, I found a solution to my problem. I purchased a full replacement from SD Truck springs for my front anti sway bar. The "end links" were re-designed. all the apprpriate hardware was included from Addco (#134). The parts cost $250 with $250 labor and the truck passed inspection! Two holes had to be drilled - very easy. I used the same shop and their inspector. Thanks for all the support and advice.