Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge/Ram/Jeep Canada Dealerships and the 'Virus'

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by bmans5, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:17 AM.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. bmans5

bmans5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic Warlock
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI VVT V8 w/FuelSaver MDS
    So Covid-19 is taking hold, people are acting strange (you can't buy Toilet paper, Tylenol, or bullets around here) and it's general crazy, I cancelled my Running board order due to the uncertainty and wanting to keep as much money as I could stockpiled in case of emergency.

Wife gets a message out of the blue from the local dealership, hey, what can we do to help.
    This was very odd as we were looking into what we could do with her Jeep payment, my truck payment, the house payment as with everything that is happening my job is basically dead (I sell alarm systems and NO ONE wants me to come by, understandably), she is now Monday to Friday, kids aren't in school so I am stay at home dad.

We took them up on what they could do, she Now has a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, for literally the same payments as before (ok $12 more) and no payments for 90 days. She had a 2019 Cherokee North that was almost a year and a half old and was a little rough (some parking lot dings, tires with 20k on them that where pretty crappy to begin with, and had gone thru the shop about 3 times for warranty work), she lost 1 features (power lift gate) she liked but gained IMHO a better ride height and a few better creature comforts.

So now they are looking to see about my Truck, they are trying for same bi-weekly payment and 90 days (possible 180 days) no payments.
    I made it clear I hunted my warlock down specifically for the specs it had so if I move to a 5th gen it HAS to have the same specs and cost the same. I am not sold on the 5th gen, I like certain things, but I am not sold on other features...and the looks in certain cases...the Rebel and Sport, yeah they look good...the Bighorn and Tradesman look kinda 'blah' IMHO.

Has anyone else had Ram reach out and make offers? Would you trade in your 4th gen for a 5th gen if your payments stayed the same? I am only 6 months in so extending my payments 3 months or 6 months really isn't a big deal.
    I assume that they are desperate to keep the sales figures up during this time and are willing to bend over backwards to make a deal.

2. dexter

dexter Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Back in the day there used to be people who bought a new car every year. You sound like one of them.

I'm on the other extreme. I hold onto a car until it dies.

Good wishes on the work picking up.

3. dexter

dexter Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Back in the day there used to be people who bought a new car every year. You sound like one of them.

I'm on the other extreme. I hold onto a car until it dies.

Good wishes on the work picking up.

4. bmans5

bmans5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic Warlock
    Engine:
    I didn't own my first New vehicle till I was 38 and the only reason I bought it was my Work van's engine exploded in a dramatic fashion and I had to get back working ASAP as no workie, no money.

Before that it was either a clunker A to B car, or something very old I put far too much money into customizing or only a few years old that I put far to much money into making stupid fast.

I would drive them till the wheels fell off, but when I hit 40 I didn't relish playing the game of 'I think it will make it 400km to Kelowna...sure the CV boot is split and she is eatin' a little coolant but she'll make it'.
    And sure on a few occasions I inspired myself my Macgyver'ing a fix road side by the light from a lighter at 10pm in -1 weather on the Connector (True store...elastic band, a twist tie and shrink tube), but as I said, hit 40, just want to get in, start it and drive and be damn comfy.

The wife was the same up until the minivan before the Jeep was her first new vehicle, and again only traded it in because it was
    A. a minivan
    B. a minivan
    C. a Dodge Caravan

So the first time it was a pure 'get rid of the minivan trade in', This trade in was purely financial, and mine would be too

5. bm02tj

bm02tj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    What dealer is that

6. bmans5

bmans5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic Warlock
    Engine:
    Nanaimo Chrysler

7. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    My neighbor did something like this (long before the covid thing). "My new payment is only ... more than my old one but I have a brand new truck"

Yes, but you started a brand new loan, too.

No problem as long as you know it. If you had a loan on the original Jeep, the 1.5 years you paid were mostly interest. Now you started that counter over.

Some people do it that way, I never would. To me it's not the payment staying the same, it's the fact that I would be starting over again that I don't like.

As far as the deals in general, they are handing these out in desperation IMHO. There will be much better deals to be had when the covid thing is over.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8. wiggy999

wiggy999 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I am considering giving a REALLY low offer on a 2017 SXT..has no km's but has been sitting for years obviously. But...6 -speed,black, 3.92 gears.hmmm. Does have the hemi and a couple of options. Thinking of trying $20,000 Canadian... Worth it? Not sure. Would be via emial, phone etc.. they will deliver it for a test drive.

9. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I "might" trade in my 4th gen for a 5th gen for the same monthly payment.

Plus side - as my 16 is paid off, getting a new 2020 for $0 monthly would be tempting
    Con side - I have the mopar lifetime Maxcare warranty that is no longer sold on my 16., not sure if my hard toneau cover would fit, nice wheels wouldn't fit, other minor mods also done.

Would be a tough call indeed.

10. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I think Id be happy to have a truck for $0 monthly too :)

They are deferring payments for 90 days....its not like you dont still owe the $$$, they are just letting you wait up to 3 months to start the payback.

GM is doing the same thing, 0% for up to 84 months and I think 120 days to defer.

Honestly 0% was available at times even without a health emergency...the only thing you are gaining right now is the deferral of payments. Which, at 0% interest, saves....I dont think anything.

tidefan1967 and pacofortacos like this.
  11. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My wife gets these mailers for the same thing on her 12 mazda, Come in we have great deals and I am pretty positive that I can get you into a new car for the same monthly payment you currently have!

One of these days, I may take them up on the offer. New car for $0 is my kind of deal :)

tidefan1967 likes this.