Dodge/Ram needs a full size suv suburban competitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Let’s start a petition! The possibilities of this platform has so much potential. Just think, 5.7 hemi 1500, 6.4 2500 and even a Cummins option. I have 4 kids. I have a ram mega cab, but since my 4th baby born, even the mega doesn’t fit us all comfortably. I am so happy with my ram truck I was ready to buy a Durango, but it fell short in cargo space. My only option really, was a suburban. It’s a nice vehicle really, and it gets the job done. But it rattles like a bucket of bolts and it’s only 4 years old. My ram is also 4 years old and doesn’t have the same rattles. Style, fit and finish, and overall quality I think FCA has GM beat by a landslide. If Dodge/ram/Chrysler offered a full size suv, there would have been no question, I would have gotten one in a heartbeat.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It's coming. The durango is going body on frame when the wagoneer twins come.

They spied them in production spec already, with camo of course.

Your wish will be granted. (Well maybe, FCA is known to change things)

That said the current durango has beat the Tahoe in a number of tests. So the Jeep and the Dodge going after the suburban and expedition will be fun.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It's coming. The durango is going body on frame when the wagoneer twins come.

They spied them in production spec already, with camo of course.

Your wish will be granted. (Well maybe, FCA is known to change things)

That said the current durango has beat the Tahoe in a number of tests. So the Jeep and the Dodge going after the suburban and expedition will be fun.

Got a link to anything interwebs on this? Interested

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I like the 3rd concept, like original Ramcharger, more Blazer-like.

That's why I like my RCSB with camper shell

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The 3rd one was an April Fool's Day article 4wheeler magazine put out.

The top one is a render from a member at Mopar insiders.

The 2nd one is just someone's photo shop.

OP
OP
DarthMegaHD

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
So apparently it’s true that the next Durango will be body on frame. But that doesn’t tell me how big it will be. Same size? Full size? Extended suburban length available?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a limited number of customers for an SUV in that class, you’ll have to take them away from GM (mostly) and Ford.

And I think FCA could do it. Ford dropped the ball when they canceled the Excursion. I’d do it on a 3500 SRW chassis with the Cummins option and you’d own the market for SUV buyers wanting to tow.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ford dropped the ball when they canceled the Excursion. I’d do it on a 3500 SRW chassis with the Cummins option and you’d own the market for SUV buyers wanting to tow.
I was bummed when they stopped making the. Excursion, looked into used ones but they were just that.
As much as CTD 3500SRW chassis under an Suburban type SUV sounds good but it's shear overkill and too niche. It will probably still get slaughtered sales wise by GM latest four wheel independent suspension going under the '21 models. Ram would need to launch off a full sized SUV lineup based on the 1500 platform following the same 4WIS and then push into HD capacity.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There has been no recent updates on this...but at one time it was believed the wagoneer would be 1500 based (which it is) and the Grand wagoneer would be 2500 based.

So far they have only showed the wagoneer in camo...so maybe the Grand will be

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I kept staring at the article. Kept hoping it wasn't wrote on April 1st...I have owned so many Ramchargers and trailduster that I would have been at the RAM garage the next day putting in my order for a 4th Gen ramcharger.

I wouldn't be opposed to a four door 1500 based one either.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, they got one now, albeit an expensive ass one. These things are Ram chassis with independent rears....I'm waiting to see how long it takes for someone to try to figure out how to take the IRS out of the Wagoneer and fit it to a Ram....