Does a cold air intake actually offer any horse power to a diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've seen these performance intakes and cold air intakes for diesel engines, yet a lot of posts talk about the grid heaters and heating of the intake to get the fuel to the correct temp it needs to be at to burn effectively.

Seems contradictive and confusing.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I was talked into an S&B cold air intake for my deleted 2011 Cummins and I can tell you their was no added performance. I wish I had left the factory air box in place, and may re-install my factory setup. The factory air filtration system allows plenty of air through it for the ISB Cummins to run properly with moderate power upgrades. When my truck was running the H&S MiniMaxx it was running 495hp on the "hot" setting and the factory system worked well.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory setup is a cold air setup and the filter is quite large and flows well. The only benefit you get from any air intake system is better airflow if the filter is larger than the stock filter. Most circumstances your air filter is not the biggest restriction off the bat. Also if you keep your air filter clean that helps too.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I've seen these performance intakes and cold air intakes for diesel engines, yet a lot of posts talk about the grid heaters and heating of the intake to get the fuel to the correct temp it needs to be at to burn effectively.

Seems contradictive and confusing.

I can see that, but the heat grid is for starting only.

colder air is more dense then hot air, so its always better to feed outside air in.

I would recommend a CAI with a Donaldson air filter as it the best keeping dirt out but still breaths !!

I run a Donaldson filter in my CAI in my 14 SRT 8 6.4 and love it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
No, the Cummins uses the grid heater during engine warm up to temper the incoming air. Ask any owner that has had weak batteries in a CTD and their headlights flicker while the grid heater is cycling.

CAI don't make much of a difference on a turbocharged diesel with intercooler, lots of the CAIs actually suck air from under the hood which is warm air.
The stock filter on the CTD will outflow what the turbo can cram into the engine. A slightly lower resistant air filter doesn't make much difference on a VGT that runs between 5 to 20 psi while normal driving, while towing it's upwards of 30 psi.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Google cai testing and see what a waste of money they are.

U can not read, some systems use a BETTER filter. Catch up !!!

Doing this for over 40 years, guess been doing it wrong !!! NOT

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
No, the Cummins uses the grid heater during engine warm up to temper the incoming air. Ask any owner that has had weak batteries in a CTD and their headlights flicker while the grid heater is cycling.

CAI don't make much of a difference on a turbocharged diesel with intercooler, lots of the CAIs actually suck air from under the hood which is warm air.
The stock filter on the CTD will outflow what the turbo can cram into the engine. A slightly lower resistant air filter doesn't make much difference on a VGT that runs between 5 to 20 psi while normal driving, while towing it's upwards of 30 psi.

Well after 40 years my data says cheap **** is that, there is system that work but cost $$$$$$

U say my diesel filter on my SRT8 does not work U prove it does not !! Sick of having to prove what works when R&D cost me money and time..................

Forums are about sharing findings for FREE, take it with a grain of salt.....

No have to prove it works for u, works for me and well I live this life.................

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
U can not read, some systems use a BETTER filter. Catch up !!!

Doing this for over 40 years, guess been doing it wrong !!! NOT

I cant read but reading your post it looks like you may be illiterate. CAI's make little if any power, especially without a tune, additional fuel pressure and supply and other modifications. A lot of money for very little return IMO. That little bit of additional noise may make your butt dyno think you really added some HP.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
OK I think there is some apples to oranges discussion here. On a Gasoline engine I'm sure a CAI would have a performance advantage over a factory setup that's also tuned for noise control. I don't dispute that.

But my question was specific to diesel. As I said in the original post I'd read a few threads that talked about diesel fuel apparently having to get much hotter to atomize effectively, so I was just wondering if it responded the same way or if it even mattered in a diesel.

And just for clarity, I'm not talking more volume from a bigger filter, I'm talking cooler denser air of the same volume. In a diesel.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
OK I think there is some apples to oranges discussion here. On a Gasoline engine I'm sure a CAI would have a performance advantage over a factory setup that's also tuned for noise control. I don't dispute that.

But my question was specific to diesel. As I said in the original post I'd read a few threads that talked about diesel fuel apparently having to get much hotter to atomize effectively, so I was just wondering if it responded the same way or if it even mattered in a diesel.

And just for clarity, I'm not talking more volume from a bigger filter, I'm talking cooler denser air of the same volume. In a diesel.

Um, HELLO. Does a big rigs filter INSIDE the engine bay ?? Is it REALLY big ??

Come on now, trying to be real nice here. Just get a COLD air kit, Dry Donadlson filter and be done.

Cool CLEAN air is always good. Not caring about HP here, speed limit is only 60 MPH here

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I cant read but reading your post it looks like you may be illiterate. CAI's make little if any power, especially without a tune, additional fuel pressure and supply and other modifications. A lot of money for very little return IMO. That little bit of additional noise may make your butt dyno think you really added some HP.

Um ok, U need to read better. NEVER said ONCE in 25 years on the web that CAI makes power. Cleaner, COLDER air is the goal.

Proof is the RAM air on MANY stock cars back in the day, it works better cold.

BTW, bad filter adds dirt to engine oil...............THINK about it !

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I already have a huge conical filter attached to an equally huge aftermarket intake pipe feeding the turbo. It came with the truck. My question was specific to what gains if any would there be by getting cooler air to said filter.

Appreciate everyone's responses.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
So I already have a huge conical filter attached to an equally huge aftermarket intake pipe feeding the turbo. It came with the truck. My question was specific to what gains if any would there be by getting cooler air to said filter.

Appreciate everyone's responses.

What i have seen is ruined turbo inlet wheels due to oil gauze filters. I hate dirt, hate dirt in my babit main bearings also !!! LOL

JUst look for a kit with a Donalson filter, not gonna be cheap sadly.

My Rebel intake CAI was $750 with washable dry filter

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

colder air is more dense then hot air, so its always better to feed outside air in.

I would recommend a CAI with a Donaldson air filter as it the best keeping dirt out but still breaths !!

I run a Donaldson filter in my CAI in my 14 SRT 8 6.4 and love it.

Big difference between a Cummins and a 6.4 SRT. Comparing apples to oranges.

CIA will be a complete waste of $$ on a Cummins. A Cummins will probably never see 3,000rpm as opposed to a 6.4.

absolute-hogwash.jpg

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Big difference between a Cummins and a 6.4 SRT. Comparing apples to oranges.

CIA will be a complete waste of $$ on a Cummins. A Cummins will probably never see 3,000rpm as opposed to a 6.4. (********)

View attachment 233759

CAN u read ?? ALL about CLEAN COLD air, pull your head out.....................

AGAIN for the non readers, INSTALLED a CAI, cold air on a 6.4 with a diesel filter, cause they WORK on a DIESAL. SO Same DAM setup will work on a diesel.

whERE i live, I wash my rides they are covered in dirt within 30 minutes. GUESS what a car/truck BREATHS AIR !!!

The Mechanic

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For a stock 4th Gen, the factory air set up is good to around 500hp. I run a Napa Gold air filter, in my 11’, my 99’ had BHAF...Donaldson if I remember correctly. Sold it to my cousin to keep it in the family (belong to our Grandpa, WW2 Veteran) a year ago. He put on an S&B.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
CAN u read ?? ALL about CLEAN COLD air, pull your head out.....................

AGAIN for the non readers, INSTALLED a CAI, cold air on a 6.4 with a diesel filter, cause they WORK on a DIESAL. SO Same DAM setup will work on a diesel.

whERE i live, I wash my rides they are covered in dirt within 30 minutes. GUESS what a car/truck BREATHS AIR !!!
(typing really slow... for the reading impaired)
The only thing a CIA with a Donaldson filter installed on a Cummins or EcoDiesel does for either is separate extra money from your wallet.
The parameters for building horsepower with a gasser and diesel are different so stop bringing up your 6.4, the OP doesn't care and neither do the rest of us who read this post...

Last edited: