Does a cold air intake actually offer any horse power to a diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
CAN u read ?? ALL about CLEAN COLD air, pull your head out.....................

AGAIN for the non readers, INSTALLED a CAI, cold air on a 6.4 with a diesel filter, cause they WORK on a DIESAL. SO Same DAM setup will work on a diesel.

whERE i live, I wash my rides they are covered in dirt within 30 minutes. GUESS what a car/truck BREATHS AIR !!!

The Mechanic

Obviously YOU'RE the one who can't read or comprehend. The fact that you have a diesel air filter on you 6.4 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's question about a CAI on diesel.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what is it about the newer diesels not being able to take advantage of a CAI like the older ones did? Back in the day, I knew two guys who had fairly stock trucks; one had either a 99 or 00 2500 QC 4x4 automatic, and the other was an 01 3500 dually QC 4x4 with the 6th-speed; the dually had the K&N CAI and if I’m not mistaken, the other truck either had the Airrad one or the K&N and, they both felt a lot peppier. Not sure about the guy with the 2500 because he hardly ever drove it but the guy who had the dually was claiming 24 miles per gallon out of it and the truck was barely a year and a half old.

Is it because these trucks didn’t have all the emissions stuff or that variable-vain turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Obviously YOU'RE the one who can't read or comprehend. The fact that you have a diesel air filter on you 6.4 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's question about a CAI on diesel.

Really, clean air does not matter for turbo's ???? what ever, read again. A CAI is only good as the filter. AS the filter is the clean, the pipe is the cold. My 6.4 gets both. NEXT bash................

COLD AIR yes with ANY system.

DRY filter media, Donaldson would be best.

Diesel has no THROTTLE body so it runs wide open all the time, just waiting for fuel.

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
I gutted my stock intake and run a 4 inch wix filter in the stock house. Love it, great filtration. The only CAI I would look at is a S&B as its a sealed unit. Only benefit would be a cleaner engine bay. Grid heater is only for starting in cold temps. Like glow plugs.