Does anybody know that if their RAM 1500 was built before July it's not as safe as newer ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Woo hoo, mines good, built in November!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're good. What was unsafe was my 1963 VW Bug with a 1913CC engine sitting 1" off the ground hitting 120 (I think) on the freeway with no seatbelts! I'm still alive.....

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I'm surprised that there are this many of you that drive a 4x2.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Improvements are made all of the time. Should I throw away my 2017 because they made a bunch of improvements in the following years?
Vehicles are safer now than they ever were, and they will continue to improve. It is completely ridiculous to worry about a new new improvement that happened after your vehicle's manufacture date. Do you have any idea how unsafe our parent's cars were when we were kids?
Spoiler alert - none of the 2019's, even the ones built at the end of 2018, will have ANY of the safety improvements that they make in 2022. The horror!

Cbrill99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He mi 5.7
They've done it once before....I forget what year added it, but there is a brace under the drivers front floor panel that will interfere with running boards that were meant for pre-change build dates.

IIRC they only added that bracing to improve grades on a crash test that did not exist when the truck was first designed.

Cbrill99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He mi 5.7
That was 2015 mine had the brace. It was a pain getting running boards because of that. Was unaware of the change and everything was before June 2015.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
You're good. What was unsafe was my 1963 VW Bug with a 1913CC engine sitting 1" off the ground hitting 120 (I think) on the freeway with no seatbelts! I'm still alive.....

I remember when a buddy back in the day, got his *** handed to him by a beetle, he was in his new 1979 Z28, he just couldn't believe it! Another guy in town back then, had a lavender Karman Ghia that was nasty! He spanked many a muscle car in his day.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Improvements are made all of the time. Should I throw away my 2017 because they made a bunch of improvements in the following years?
Vehicles are safer now than they ever were, and they will continue to improve. It is completely ridiculous to worry about a new new improvement that happened after your vehicle's manufacture date. Do you have any idea how unsafe our parent's cars were when we were kids?
Spoiler alert - none of the 2019's, even the ones built at the end of 2018, will have ANY of the safety improvements that they make in 2022. The horror!

Hell if your 2017 is that bad, I better get rid of my 2014 deathtrap!!!!

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Not a troll. Just trying to be funny. If you remember your automotive history, you will recognize the "unsafe at any speed" line as a reference to Ralph Nader's book from the 1960's and his issue with the Chevy Corvair, which was a whole lot of nonsense about a non-issue.

I enjoyed the Corvair and the throttle induced oversteer.
I even had two Pontiacs with the Corvair style transaxle, and they also oversteered with lots of throttle.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember when a buddy back in the day, got his *** handed to him by a beetle, he was in his new 1979 Z28, he just couldn't believe it! Another guy in town back then, had a lavender Karman Ghia that was nasty! He spanked many a muscle car in his day.

Those cars were so light. Kharma Ghia and beetles were what most of us were doing when I was young. They were fun!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Those cars were so light. Kharma Ghia and beetles were what most of us were doing when I was young. They were fun!

Yes they were! Owned 4 Beetles, 1 squareback and 1 bus back in the day. Would love to have another bus one day, but dang they are expensive now!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they were! Owned 4 Beetles, 1 squareback and 1 bus back in the day. Would love to have another bus one day, but dang they are expensive now!

Yep, seriously wanted to get one last year and after looking into it, I was like wtf...wish I would have kept mine. Sold it for like $1500.. Can get one now that really needs a complete rebuild for like 8k. And parts are more expensive. So much for that idea .

pcguru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the All New 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got an all new 2019 Ram Laramie 4x4 Hi 5.7. Love it so g get yours!! BtW I see where you are from so how about going to Staley"s on Hanover Ave and send me down some cheesesteaks

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is on the IIHS website. My truck was built before July 2019 (May to be exact) and I'm very concerned that my truck might not be safe for my family in the event of an accident. I've been on the phone with FCA trying to find out how they can retrofit my truck to bring it inline with currently made vehicles, but they're telling me they can't and it's just as safe as trucks made after July. That's not the way this reads. Anybody else concerned?

bgFv5ym.png

Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread- I have done some research across all brands- no one is perfect, they all have their issues, unless of it is a Tundra... those things pull space shuttles for a living...

Let’s really get this party started... what manufactures have “IHS” in their pocket?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Crew Cab - Flame Red
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread- I have done some research across all brands- no one is perfect, they all have their issues, unless of it is a Tundra... those things pull space shuttles for a living...

Let’s really get this party started... what manufactures have “IHS” in their pocket?

None. They are truly independent. My old company used to sell them cameras. I’ve been there. Pretty incredible place.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tundra's are the least safe (oldest body and frame design going back to 2005. New body design coming and sharing it with tacoma in 2020), Ram earned their ratings last year and Ford finally joined them this year as did the Titan. Honda Ridgeline scored the best. Chevy's and GMC's are the lowest along with toyotas! BUT the ridgeline only won when equipped with some extra goodies!

Here spin doctor away :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronl...-pickup-side-overlap-crash-test/#22db04ca74f6

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/mo...-overlap-crash-test-watch-all-the-tests-here/

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
None. They are truly independent. My old company used to sell them cameras. I’ve been there. Pretty incredible place.

Mmmmm I’m pretty sure there is some shenanigans going on there, besides the next deposit made after the IHS is probably to consumer reports. Lol

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check for a recall. I just had my 2015 1500 in for the three recall repairs and including the tailgate fix they did an software upgrade to the occupant restraint module. I feel my truck is way safer than the 2006 Honda CRV I used to drive.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Everyone has a price.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4