Does anyone else but me think there are way too many electronics in today's vehicles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighDesertRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I am not a technophobe, but I think there are just way too many electronics in today's vehicles and they are the source of a lot of the issues discussed here. My wife bought a 2021 Outback after her previous 2014 Outback was rear ended in a freeway accident. She loved her previous vehicle, but hates the new one as there are just too many "nanny state" electronics that drive her crazy, that she cannot turn off.

On my 2022 4x4 Diesel Ram, I have all the annoying stuff turned off, but the truck regularly hiccoughs with some type of electronic issue. Last week, the touch screen system was blank for a day. Now it's back. Yesterday, Car Play stopped working for some unknown reason.

Short of buying an older used vehicle, there's just no way around this garbage that I can discern. It's extremely annoying.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
110% agree I purchased a New car March and still finding things and most I do not need!
Many I can shut off and use it like a car not a tech driving car lol

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The first thing I attempted to disable was the back-up camera as it irritates me coming on all the time, even when I have the Uconnect turned off. I use my mirrors to back up. Apparently there is no way to do that unless I unplug it at the tailgate, and doing that disables the tailgate light which is kind of useful. There are also a dozen things I will never use - Bluetooth, GPS, Compass, etc. - as I'm a real low-tech guy.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I agree, however these newer vehicles were not part of their thought process for design and of the times for us older folks. I'm happy with my 2017 RAM 1500 RCSB Express ... nothing fancy just the necessities, ie power locks/windows/steering and an much easier simplified radio without SeriusXM radio ... I didn't renew that, because I have my "Star Trek" phone and earbuds, Bluetooth, etc. for music listening pleasure and also for yaking/texting purposes ...for Pete's sake, lol.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2004 Jeep is my favorite ride. 202,000 miles on it. Crank by hand windows. Tops off and 99% of the trips are in it. The Ram gets the long comfy drives.
It still has too many electronics. I miss my old Gremlin with points and a cassette radio.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I agree to an extent. My '17 has just the right amount of gadgets for me. The heated/cooled seats are awesome, the radio/backup cam are nice. The blindspot monitoring/door is open so it slams into park/etc is annoying but not the end of the world. But the loaded up '19+ trucks are another level of complex. I have my '85 GMC to run around in when I feel like going back to a simpler time lol

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a technophobe, but I think there are just way too many electronics in today's vehicles and they are the source of a lot of the issues discussed here. My wife bought a 2021 Outback after her previous 2014 Outback was rear ended in a freeway accident. She loved her previous vehicle, but hates the new one as there are just too many "nanny state" electronics that drive her crazy, that she cannot turn off.

On my 2022 4x4 Diesel Ram, I have all the annoying stuff turned off, but the truck regularly hiccoughs with some type of electronic issue. Last week, the touch screen system was blank for a day. Now it's back. Yesterday, Car Play stopped working for some unknown reason.

Short of buying an older used vehicle, there's just no way around this garbage that I can discern. It's extremely annoying.

Yes, but what can you do?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We (consumers) kind of asked for it I think. Lots of requests for fancy options, even if not everyone is on that bandwagon.

Seems to me you can cut out a lot of the extras that you may not want by buying a Tradesman. Much more simple, many controls are manual.

I would not want to be without blue tooth, for convivence and safety. In many states, you can't hold your phone while driving, so it kind of becomes a must. You don't have to pair your phone, or you can turn off blue tooth if you want to.

I would miss my backup camera. I still use mirrors, and turn around depending on the situation, but the camera is a big plus for me. Especially when connecting a trailer.

My truck is a Big Horn, so it does not have all the options by any means, but I use most of what is there.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We (consumers) kind of asked for it I think. Lots of requests for fancy options, even if not everyone is on that bandwagon.

Seems to me you can cut out a lot of the extras that you may not want by buying a Tradesman. Much more simple, many controls are manual.

I would not want to be without blue tooth, for convivence and safety. In many states, you can't hold your phone while driving, so it kind of becomes a must. You don't have to pair your phone, or you can turn off blue tooth if you want to.

I would miss my backup camera. I still use mirrors, and turn around depending on the situation, but the camera is a big plus for me. Especially when connecting a trailer.

My truck is a Big Horn, so it does not have all the options by any means, but I use most of what is there.
I just don't answer my phone when I'm driving. Matter of fact, I usually put it in either Driving Mode, or Airplane Mode depending on how long I'm going to be behind the wheel. If it's going to be a long drive I silence my ringer so I don't hear phone calls, and I use Driving Mode as it sends an automatic reply to whoever is trying to text me that says, "I'm driving right now. I'll get back to you as soon as I make a stop." Keeps people from repeatedly trying to text me, which I'm not going to reply to anyway while I'm driving.

My phone is a very miniscule part of my life. Pretty much the only reason I even have a cell phone is because I hunt and fish a lot alone and my wife wants me to be able to call for help if I fall and bust a knee, or something. I haven't mentioned to her that half the places I hunt and fish at have minimal, if any, cell reception. I make and receive a total of maybe 2 - 3 phone calls a month, and although I text almost every day I have gone many days with sending or receiving a single one.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I like most of the electronics on my truck. I purposefully avoided the automatic braking and lane assist, which I didn't want. I just want them to work correctly. I know how to read a paper map and keep them, but I like that I can easily reroute around a crash before I even get stuck in the backup. I know how to use mirrors, but I like that I also have a 360 camera system. I can get out of the truck to lock the hubs, but it's nice to do it from the comfort of the cab.

I've driven trucks that had power nothing. No AC, no power brakes, no power steering, manual transmission (with non-synchronized 1st gear just for extra fun) etc. Sure, it's simple as a cinder block but it's also a gym on wheels to drive and pretty tiring over the long haul. Everybody draws the line somewhere, I doubt many want to have to re-jet their carb for a mountain trip, but if you *really* want a simpler vehicle it's not like they aren't out there. Buy one of those instead.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I parked my truck in the gatage and left it for 2 years because I didn't like the control layout and all the bells going off all the time. I've been driving it for the last 4 years though. Still drives me nuts. Driven the new trucks of all brands through work fleets. I like them even less or I'd have traded in by now. Been considering a restoration of a 2011 as thay was my favorite ram truck to drive. Thinking if I can do one for the price of a new truck I'd like it a lot better. Or just go buy a couple low mileage older trucks in decent shape. Warning lights and buzzers because of a few idiots who sue because they can't drive or take responsibility for their own mistakes. Even when the features are off they still chime to tell you they're off and why do the front park sensors still go off to warn you of something in front of you while in reverse. Plus the ding to let you know you're backing up too fast for them to work.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Agreed. But Ram is better (less bad in that context) than some options. We bought a 2022 Ram and 2022 Honda CRV. Love the Ram in spite of the relatively minor nuisances. Hate the CRV due to all the electronics.
Funny you say this about Honda.
My brother special ordered a 23' Ridgeline Black Edition with every single conceivable factory option available (less the roof rails...lol), and in the 4 months of ownership thus far it's been in for three electronic issues, and one fitment issue with the front bumper...

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
My 2004 Jeep is my favorite ride. 202,000 miles on it. Crank by hand windows. Tops off and 99% of the trips are in it. The Ram gets the long comfy drives.
It still has too many electronics. I miss my old Gremlin with points and a cassette radio.
Heck yesss!
I miss my 77' Granada with bucket seats, floor console shifter and 302 carb engine! (I couldn't get my old school charger at the time... so this had to do...lol).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It would seem that Auto Manufacturers are building the current vehicles to the needs of a 70 year old person that does the house hold shopping.

They do not consider Security at all

We walk through the Dealership sales lot & think, WOW this vehicles does everything accept drive itself up to the front door & opens the door for you.

A car thief walks through that same lot & thinks, i be driving that Black vehicle on Tuesday, & that Blue one on Thursday & that Red one on Saturday