Does anyone have a slide-in camper on their Ram 4wd 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've been looking at the Travel Lite Super Lite 625SL .. any thoughts or experience with these?

https://www.travelliterv.com/come-and-see-our-models-of--super-lite

It looks like the dry weight of the lightest full size 1/2 ton pickup camper sits at 1,100 pounds and the 625 is pushing 1,300 pounds. Again, that is dry weight. Add in people, camping gear and other cargo, I'd say a 1/2 ton's payload runs out before the first piece of camping gear was loaded. I'd say these are in 3/4 ton territory.

Another consideration is if you plan on towing, for example, a boat. You need to look at the camper overhang off the bed. This will block the receiver required a hitch extension that brings along its own set of demons including increased tongue weight.

The 625 looks impressive and it just might fit what I've been looking for (no bed overhang). The problem is, the few dealers listed in my neck of the woods are non-stocking. I need to touch and see first.

Last edited:

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I would never buy a wood framed rv, travel trailer or camper. All of them (wood frame or other) WILL leak at some point. If they are wood framed, the frame will require repair, which is very involved, if it is aluminum framed, you may just have to repair "finish" items like wall covering, floor coverings, etc.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would never buy a wood framed rv, travel trailer or camper. All of them (wood frame or other) WILL leak at some point. If they are wood framed, the frame will require repair, which is very involved, if it is aluminum framed, you may just have to repair "finish" items like wall covering, floor coverings, etc.

Saying all RV's leak at some point is simply not true. Any RV will leak if the owner does not maintain the unit. My 13 year old diesel pusher does not leak, nor my 15 year old wood framed travel trailer. If owners simply maintain the roof, seams, sealant and caulking most will never leak. However most owners abuse them by not inspecting these things a couple times a year, letting them sit in the weather uncovered or ignoring them all together.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
1500s and slide-in campers just aren't meant for one another. It's kind of like 5th wheels and 1500s only worse. Even SRW 3500 trucks with upwards of 4000# of payload run out of capacity quickly with campers. Most of campers of any size you see are 3500 DRW territory. That's not to say you couldn't be within specs with a 2500 but a 1500? Hard to imagine once you put people in the truck and gear in the camper.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Saying all RV's leak at some point is simply not true. Any RV will leak if the owner does not maintain the unit. My 13 year old diesel pusher does not leak, nor my 15 year old wood framed travel trailer. If owners simply maintain the roof, seams, sealant and caulking most will never leak. However most owners abuse them by not inspecting these things a couple times a year, letting them sit in the weather uncovered or ignoring them all together.

100% spot on accurate. My Layton is 30 yrs old. It has very little water damage (occured occurred prior to my ownership). I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you.

I'd also add, I'll take my wood frame tt any day over an aluminum frame one.
You bet leaks and delamination on an aluminum/fiberglass sided rig and your replacing large panels to repair. No thanks.

To each their own though and that's why they build them

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
If you are looking for the lightest truck camper for your half ton then your options are very limited. Lots of 1500 owners seem to push the limits of their half tons with their capacities. That is fine and nothing wrong with that so long as you know your limits, trucks limits and are safe. What I would suggest is that if you MUST keep your truck because you really love it or don't want another car payment or whatever, the I would look buy a nice small, yet capable travel trailer that meets your needs. You can get so many more options and creature comforts in a small travel trailer that you could in a truck camper for probably the same price or less. IMO, there are more upsides to a TT over a Truck Camper. Just one guys thoughts.