Does anyones else's GPS navigation just plane suck ! Awful !!! on the 12 inch u connect. ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramdogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
I bough the Ram over the GMC for the 12 inch uconnect system and beautiful nav display. So having the truck for 2 weeks now, i discovered some bad things, making me p*****. One, the routing system on the truck nav system is just awful, awful !! It has me leaving highways and taking blocked alley ways, etc,,,repeatedly bad, cant use it without also using my iphone to check on all this trucks bad moves... I need my iphone maps to find the route. So then i use apple car play, and the map is then in a small 6-8 inch window.. wtf Ram !! Can the routing program just be as good as apple maps or google maps ?? And when connecting the phone using apple car play, why cant the full 12 inch screen be utilized. Really p****** me here Ram !! For the $75 K i spent on the diesel limited im p****d off. FYI its a 2021 with the latest map installed, so thats not an excuse.Anyone else have this issue or concern, or is it just a crappy set up... Thank you.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That's the same for all of us with 19-21 5th gens. I was disappointed about the AA (& Carplay) not going full screen either on my 12"UAX 4c radio and have never found the factory maps as good as Gmaps (although factory map turn info shows up on the Cluster, AA & CP don't)

Supposedly the 2022 trucks will have wireless AA & CP with full use of the new 5c radio's 12" screen.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow, I question if you really have the latest updated maps. Not sure how to check though. My 16 came with nav, but I always use my phone. I still think you bought a better truck than a GM.

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm surprised that people actually try to use the baked in NAV of the UConnect... they are so far behind it isn't even funny.

I picked up the 12" screen for the 12" screen... it certainly wasn't for the UConnect which seems to be 1990/2000 tech and I'm not holding my breath that UConnect 5 will be significantly better, it may be close to 2010 standards...

AA and Carplay are lightyears ahead of anything UConnect has as far as ease of use and simplicity....

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The 12" display needs some time to mature. On the 8.4 you get full screen AA or ACP.

Outside of that, Uconnect is the best infotainment system on the market. Pretty much all reviewers of cars/trucks, who aren't biased, say the same. Even TFL who has a hard on for Ford.

The nav, though, does suck. I'll give you that. Go in to settings and change it from "Shortest Route". That should help a good bit.

Last edited:

wwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2021 2500 with the 12" screen. I agree with the unfriendly map, but have an additional problem. When I turn the interior lights from day to night (to dim the lights) the 12" screen goes from bright to reasonable night mode to really dark black in less than a second. It is so dark that I cannot even use the GPS for guidance e. Is there an issue with the dimmer control or does anyone else have this same issue?

OP
OP
R

Ramdogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
I just bought a 2021 2500 with the 12" screen. I agree with the unfriendly map, but have an additional problem. When I turn the interior lights from day to night (to dim the lights) the 12" screen goes from bright to reasonable night mode to really dark black in less than a second. It is so dark that I cannot even use the GPS for guidance e. Is there an issue with the dimmer control or does anyone else have this same issue?
Yes, thats a problem unless you lock the dimmer switch up . Rotate the dimmer dial upward until you feel it click or lock in its max position, then when you turn your lights on, the display will be the same brightness. Unfortunately with this work around there is no level of dimming to be had, so its sort of an all or nothing situation. An engineering fail for sure, but this does fix the problem. I prefer it stay bright and forego the dimming.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The Nav won't "learn" a new route when it goes to "recalculate". I came back from a trip south through Richmond on I95. Nav insisted I take the 295 loop around and kept wanting me to take a route through small city streets just to get back on 295. Right up to the very end where I95 and 295 merge back together, it still wanted me to actually take the last exit on I95 just to drive about 1 mile on 295 and then merge back on to I95.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have been very satisfied with my 2020 12" screen and the NAV. But I only use it for A to B routing, and have not had any bad info or bad routing.

Because of threads like this, I have run my Garmin alongside the NAV, and they appear and route the same.

I can say the same for my 2016 8.4 NAV.

newtoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wait until your 1 year Sirius XM subscription expires then navigation goes offline. No search ability. Big disappointment

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wait until your 1 year Sirius XM subscription expires then navigation goes offline. No search ability. Big disappointment
Sirius expired on both of my trucks. I did not renew, and my Navs were not effected. Both work as advertised.

NealS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ RAMBoxs
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
2019 Limited, my big screen GPS sucks too, and it doesn't like a lot of addresses, even old ones that have been around for centuries. At least it recognized one close to me so I can find my way home from wherever I'm at. It apparently uses a limited database for specific addresses rather than calculating where it might be.

Fred Palencia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not buy a ram mount and a iPad Pro it’s what I was thinking but then I said hey I utilize a vehicle for mobility reasons only not to watch my videos on my iPad

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
Just bought 2022 2500 night edition Laramie. 15 miles on it. Used Nav to go to my house from the dealer. It took me to a dirt road a block away.….. use Apple or Google.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
compared to the wifes nav in her mazda cx5,the ram is outstanding.seriously,the mazda is the absolute worst.i only use google maps when i drive it out of town,i don't live anywhere near a city so i rarely use my nav,but when i do it works fine and doesn't send me on a wild goose chase.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
LOL, are you getting screwy directions like I got last week in my 2019 Ram Laramie traveling to a tradeshow in Florida??? Unreal - wish I could send this to someone who cares at Ram.

RAM Navigation.png

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’m not sure why any of you are using the built in nav over the nav in CarPlay or Android Auto. Hands down better, no question. Even if you have a 12” uconnect 4, it’s still better at half screen than built in nav.

Suzyq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just bought my 2022 2500 Laramie 5 days ago and yesterday the 12 inch Uconnect screen blacked out for the first time and stayed that way for 2 hours. Then suddenly it came back on. It has happened 3 times total so far. And that’s in a 6 hr window! Also my forward collision warning light is on!

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GPS is only as good as the Navigation Database. There are only a few providers of navigation info and databases. Tom Tom is one of them. Garmin another. Mapquest maybe. Current data and updates are key.

All this is spendy. Updates are expensive and if a unit has a weak database and weak software processing from the start we get problems.

Enter Google and Apple Maps. Car play and Android auto.

My Stick on the windshield Garmin is better than the factory installed vehicle GPS. Why? It’s updated often.