Does anyones else's GPS navigation just plane suck ! Awful !!! on the 12 inch u connect. ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure why any of you are using the built in nav over the nav in CarPlay or Android Auto. Hands down better, no question. Even if you have a 12” uconnect 4, it’s still better at half screen than built in nav.
^^ THIS ^^
I've researched this thoroughly for months and tested the RAM internal nav alongside Garmins and numerous smartphone apps.

The winner hands down is Google Maps with Andriod Auto (or CarPlay). The navigation is far better, far easier to use, always up to date, and free. Apart from the need to attach your smartphone to USB, which literally takes about 5 seconds, using AA and Google Maps is an incredible navigation system that will do everything you require, including waypoint navigation which very few nav systems can do.

I'm using it extensively as I'm constantly away from home on an RV trip for months and need to use a nav nearly every day. Google Maps and AA have been excellent.

You can do the same research for yourself, but, if you know what you're doing, you'll come to the same conclusion.

Waze is also a good alternative to Google Maps if you require speed trap and other hazard warnings. Overall though, Google Maps is a bit better and more integrated with an Android smartphone. Together, these two can't be beaten by any other nav systems I've tested.

The internal RAM UConnect 4 nav system is pretty to look at, but it's far, far behind Google Maps in functionality, accuracy, smartphone integration, and ease of use. UConnect 5 is supposed to be an improvement adding better integration, speed, and graphics, but few of us have it or can get it without buying a new RAM. My guess is that Google Maps will still be better overall. And you never need to pay $150 per year for updates which, given the fact that Google Maps is free, is a total ripoff.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
Factory nav is terrible. Can't find its *** with both hands. That they have the stones to charge for updates is a laugh. Looks pretty though.
I think that’s their plan, make a thoroughly awful Navigation system and people will buy the upgrade hoping to fix the obvious problems. Laughs on us. It’s the most inaccurate navigation system I’ve ever used, I’ve never had a GPS take me on a wild goose chase, this has. I’ve never had one, ever, tell me it’s 55 when it’s 25 or 35, on this unit it’s very common. And whoever decided to put dark red letters on back Blackground probably knows how to rub elbows, but not run a company.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Both my 2015 Eco and my 2020 HO nav systems work fine. I also use a Garmin GPS, it and the trucks' nav track the same

RDNKB34R

Reaction score
GPS is only as good as the Navigation Database. There are only a few providers of navigation info and databases. Tom Tom is one of them. Garmin another. Mapquest maybe. Current data and updates are key.

All this is spendy. Updates are expensive and if a unit has a weak database and weak software processing from the start we get problems.

Enter Google and Apple Maps. Car play and Android auto.

My Stick on the windshield Garmin is better than the factory installed vehicle GPS. Why? It’s updated often.
My old garmin was awesome once I bought the " lifetime updates ". Finally gave it to my youngest son before he moved to Nashville for school.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Overall, the Nav seems to work pretty well on my 22 BigHorn. I did call support yesterday because realtime traffic was not displaying, that is definitely annoying.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only used the navi in my new 21 BTS twice in the 10 months I owned it and both times it had me drive right by the location's. I got an email a couple weeks ago regarding an "update" for it that's available for purchase. I posted in the forum asking if it was worth spending the money on it and just about everyone that replied said no it wasnt worth it. They said the update screws up other features making those features inoperable. They said they were getting the runaround from unconnect and they dealer when they went to get it fixed. The 12" screen is fantastic but the service or navi software sucks in my opinion

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Every built-in GPS that I've used is crap, no matter the vehicle manufacturer.
Apple and Android play are the only way to go.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The scaling issue (not filling the screen) is a Carplay problem not the RAM NAV unit. Carplay simply uses the NAV screen as a display and touch input device with the iPhone / iOS / App controlling the display aspect ratio and resolution. Even jailbroken iOS phones can't change the Carplay aspect ratio / resolution to fill the screen.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
I’m not sure why any of you are using the built in nav over the nav in CarPlay or Android Auto. Hands down better, no question. Even if you have a 12” uconnect 4, it’s still better at half screen than built in nav.
I think when you spend $68,000 for a truck you would expect the navigation to be not the worst you’ve ever come across. The data and routing is screwy, the posted speed limits rarely matchup, the colors on the screen or poorly selected for visibility, like dark red numbers with a black background, the numbers showing distance to the next turn, I have to look close and squint to figure out what it is.
Who did the engineer at ram blow to get the job? Half of the streets in my rural area display the wrong speed limit, usually 55 when it’s only 25 or 35. Route between Sacramento and Santa Rosa want me to turn off at routes that should never be part of the route. Since my Hondas GPS always worked, couple times I followed the Rams GPS assuming it had to be right and realizing it took me on a 20 mile loop for some reason.
Yes I use Apple play and Google maps now, but that’s ridiculous, it says ram really needs to get rid of some useless managers and get people that actually know what the hell to do and not just how to play golf.

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the purpose of getting where I need to go in places I am unfamiliar with, Apple and Google maps are vastly superior. That said, I like the factory nav for a few reasons - none of which have anything to do with rout finding.

1. Shows real-time location data: town/city/county/state - I can see what municipality I’m in. A & G maps do not.

2. Easier to find gas from the touchscreen - A & G maps require you to add a stop along the rout using the attached phone’s keyboard.

3. It goes full-screen - self explanatory, half the 12” display’s real estate - ANNOYING!

4. Magnified intersectional detail - A & G are adding but still half the display.

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apple uses Yelp reviews for food, mostly. I cannot stand Yelp. Yelp make me eat to punch myself in the face. Google reviews are much more reliable but … Google doesn't integrate as well with my Apple Watch.