Does ECU keep record of check engine codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wickenburg Geezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does the ECU maintain a record of check engine codes after code has cleared? Reason I'm asking is I have an intermittent code while towing that will clear after I unhitch and drive a while. Would like to take it to my selling dealer when I get home. Just wanted to know because trying to get it to a dealer when in failure mode is almost impossible.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is your dealership in Blythe, Quartzite or down in Yuma ?
If it is close just pull your trailer with you to the dealer.
I just had another thought, pick up one of those trailer emulators

It just plugs into the Rams trailer plug & is used to tell if the wiring for the trucks is as it should be.

It will not tell you about possible trailer faults

OP
OP
W

Wickenburg Geezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply, but your response doesn't apply to my situation. To clarify the issue here is a copy of my previous post concerning the history behind the current thread.

I've had a check engine light come on for a second time while towing. Here is the scenario: Doesn't come on until second or third day. Running 65 mph plus or minus. Both times it came on after a very long gradual uphill pull of 50-75 miles at altitude.

First time I found a local NAPA store that was able to pull a code saying air fuel mixture bank 2. He didn't have the updated software to give me the number. Both times it has cleared after unhitching and driving for a while. Talked with selling dealer the first time and he said it was probably a software bug and not to worry. Anybody got a clue?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think some historical codes are saved but may be erased after x amount of stop starts.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on the software you use with an OBD scanner, you can bring up stored/historical codes, and also clear them.