Does the 5th gen 5.7L have the dreaded MDS lifter issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a low-mileage 4th gen that may be experiencing this.

Wondering if FCA has addressed the issue on the current gen.

From what I can tell, there were no valvetrain changes.

Thanks.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks.
The part number for the lifters changed in 2016 I believe. The 2015s still had problems because my previous RAM had the cam/lifters go out at 32K miles. My buddy has a 2019 Laramie bought two years ago with approx. 33K miles on it that I've rode in many times and I've never heard any Hemi tick from it and I know he gets his oil changes done at the local speedy lube place so he's not running anything special in the crankcase.

OP
OP
D

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dumped a big bottle of Lucas premium fuel cleaner in the tank and topped it off as the truck has been sitting for about a month.

So far, it's been a few days and just got another P0300. :(

Last edited:

m1lkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks.

Great question. I was going to ask the same thing! :)

Flint60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 BigHorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the 2019 Big Horn with 19000 and nothing yet. My 07 had the tick , sure hoping this one doesn't get it.

4wdRookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I might be wrong on this, but from what I recall reading in the various threads here on this subject the tick isn't related to MDS. Hopefully someone can clarify that.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I want to do a full MDS delete, in conjunction with a fully forged Whipple upgrade!! When are they coming out with a '20 kit????

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
The lifters roller going bad and wiping out the cam is not a lifter problem. The problem is, there is barley enough splash/thrown lubrication from the crankshaft that makes it's way to the roller bearings. Has nothing to do with MDS, has to do with a bad crank/rod/block/lifter/ oiling location design. It was a problem with Hemis before MDS was added and has seem to got worse with VVT.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
2019 1500 Limited with MDS and E-torque, 11K miles, no tick.

This guy says that Uncle Tony is full of it. Posted without further comment:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Limited with MDS and E-torque, 11K miles, no tick.

This guy says that Uncle Tony is full of it. Posted without further comment:

There are opposing views on what is causing the lifter issues, the good news it looks like there is a newer lifter design to address the problem. Hopefully we will see the end of the lifter/cam issues.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to believe its mostly a problem with the lifter design or quality itself. I know others will disagree and that's fine. The lifters don't just lubricate from crankshaft splash. In fact engine manufacturers do everything they can to avoid crankshaft splash as it aerates the oil which reduces oil pressure plus the crankshaft slapping the oil reduces horsepower and mileage. This is why we run dry sump oil pans and windage trays in high performance engines. Dry sump engines basically have no oil in the pan and run fine. Many standard factory engines come with windage trays for better mileage and performance. I know people have gotten rid of the Hemi tick by using Redline oil and other additives and I'm sure they will all chime in but that's not my point. The lifter tick is caused by the lifter plunger or valve actually sticking or not having enough oil pressure to pump up and take up any excess valve lash. I'm thinking the moly additives help the lifter internals lubricate better plus I'm sure it helps the roller bearings as well. Think about this, if your engine is ticking and you can correct it buy changing the oil its Not the roller bearings causing the issue. It's an issue with the lifter internals themselves. Roller bearings don't tick, they just eventually lock up. When they lock up it starts to wear the cam lobe down to a point that the lifer can no longer adjust out the valve lash and it starts to have valve train noise. I agree with the advantages of oils with a moly additive. My engine is extremely quite with no valve train noise at all with 46k miles. I have been running standard Penzoil Synthetic. This tells me my lifters are receiving enough oil pressure to pump up and remove any valve lash that may be in my drive train. The excess oil coming out of the lifter galley should be enough to lubricate the roller bearings in the lifter. I honestly don't know why the lifters fail but I don't think it's a complete issue with the engine block casting itself. I saw a post Burla made suggesting that the Hellcat lifters will fail as well if installed in the 5.7. I personally haven't seen any instances of that but if he is correct and that has happened then my theory is wrong and its not a matter of a bad lifter design. We can debate this until the cows come home but in reality the whole situation sucks. I always listen to my engines when I start my vehicles. If there is any noise I address it. I plan on switching to Redline oil on my next change because I do agree with Burla that the extra protection on the roller bearings will help. If I hear any ticking or valve train noise at all I will tear it down and change the lifters and cam before it's an issue or I have metal running through my engine. My 98 Chevy pickup started having a very slight knock under acceleration when it was warmed up at 237k miles. You could barely hear it. I pulled the pan and sure enough one of the rod bearings was ready to go. The crank measured out fine and I replaced the rod and main bearings plus oil pump and timing chain from the bottom side of the engine. It ran fine until the day I gave it to my son in law. I love my truck and plan on keeping it so I guess my point is the only way to deal with this for now intill we know a thecexact reason it happens plus the correct fix is to use a quality oil like Redline with the additives and change it regularly, try not to idle your truck to much and listen to your engine everytime you start it and pay attention to any new valve train noise that might indicate a problem and address it quickly if you hear it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I believe the issue still exists. Maybe not as bad as before. Mine has to go in for really bad pinging whenever it’s between 3500-4500. Anytime I pass someone pings real bad. Doesn’t matter what octane either. So I believe it still happens to some. My issue maybe a bad spring or lifter so who knows yet.

Blkram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone point me to the direction as to what oil/filter and molly product to use? Or a thread that has it. I have a 2020. I don’t have this issue but I only have 450 miles. I rather start using the good stuff now to help the engine have a long life.

I was planning a change after the break in period anyway.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had a 2007 Daytona Charger,(just sold it last spring)a 2008 BigHorn and now a 2019 Laramie and I never had the tick... The BigHorn had 90,000 on it when I traded.
But I run full synth from the very first oil change!

D Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 21,000 now and for the first time using remote start I heard the dreaded tick on a cold start. My 2014 Ram and my 2017 Ram had the same thing very annoying. I had hoped this 5 gen was going to be different but I was wrong plus 20 recalls for the 2019 is absolutely ridiculous. Now I'm considering getting out of this Truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye