Does the media hub/USB port ever go dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last weekend I got myself a Motorola wireless Android adapter, installed it and revelled at the wonder that is technology that works as you expect it. No problems all week, truck would sit a couple days while I commute on the bike.

Fast-forward to this Saturday, I go out to leave on a little RZR ride and the truck is dead. I had moved it Friday to wash and hook up to the trailer, so it had sat for maybe 12 hours. Whatever, jump it and it's fine.

So today I check ignition off draw in the truck and it settles to 130-150mA. Yank the wireless adapter and it's down to 40-50mA. I'm also suspect that the battery may be in it's end game, but that's really a side quest. Does the USB media hub stay live at all times? Is there an option to make it key-on? Has anyone else crossed this bridge and had a neat solution?

My current plan is to find it's power feed and put a switch on it, or feed it from a different keyed source but I'd like to consider options (aside from not using the adapter)

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Last weekend I got myself a Motorola wireless Android adapter, installed it and revelled at the wonder that is technology that works as you expect it. No problems all week, truck would sit a couple days while I commute on the bike.

Fast-forward to this Saturday, I go out to leave on a little RZR ride and the truck is dead. I had moved it Friday to wash and hook up to the trailer, so it had sat for maybe 12 hours. Whatever, jump it and it's fine.

So today I check ignition off draw in the truck and it settles to 130-150mA. Yank the wireless adapter and it's down to 40-50mA. I'm also suspect that the battery may be in it's end game, but that's really a side quest. Does the USB media hub stay live at all times? Is there an option to make it key-on? Has anyone else crossed this bridge and had a neat solution?

My current plan is to find it's power feed and put a switch on it, or feed it from a different keyed source but I'd like to consider options (aside from not using the adapter)
If it's the center console plug you can unplug it under the drivers seat.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My media hub is in the upper portion of the center console and the harness runs underneath, though it may still have a plug under the seat that I've not looked for. Thinking about it today, I think I may just interrupt the power feed and put a switch on the side of the center console.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My media hub is in the upper portion of the center console and the harness runs underneath, though it may still have a plug under the seat that I've not looked for. Thinking about it today, I think I may just interrupt the power feed and put a switch on the side of the center console.
I would think the harness would still be under the driver's seat for one point with an easily accessible connection but I don't know for sure (I have a jumpseat).

If its the same, as you sitting in the seat it would be in the front right corner nearest the center console.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The hub is connected to the Uconnect and may have an update you can check this link with your VIN

I have read others having had issues with Uconnect not shutting down .

Maybe look at the news feed or follow RamCares for post regarding these types of issues?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the USB media hub stay live at all times? Is there an option to make it key-on? Has anyone else crossed this bridge and had a neat solution?
YES the power stays hot.
I just tackled a similar problem but for my AAWireless module (does the same as the Motorola). Mine would cause the radio to wake up partly if I was near the truck, I have a UAQ radio.
I pulled the panel at the back of the center console and put a small relay wired into +12V that goes to the media hub power.
It is the plug pictured here and it was the red wire in the #5 position ('15 truck)
IMG_20220620_184059774.jpg
Similar relay I used: Directed Electronics 8616 Relay Assembly Mini https://a.co/d/7GX3M1Y
I wired this to the power outlet in the try part of the center console as the one in the back I have the fuse set for constant power.
I can't take all the credit for this as @Mpgrimm2 helped with the idea and wiring diagram and he posted this:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The USB in the console of my 2016 is on a timer and does not continuously stay hot after the keyed ignition is off and only stays on for approximately 3 minutes.

Is it possibly an additional combination of remote start , or a premium level head unit that requires the unit to be on standby?

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent, I think I have some relays with pigtails left over that I could use for that. I like the idea of automatic.

Fwiw, I have remote start, standard fobik (not push to start) and the 'big radio' but not navigation, no idea which radio code that is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The USB in the console of my 2016 is on a timer and does not continuously stay hot after the keyed ignition is off and only stays on for approximately 3 minutes.
I find this peculiar as the USB/Media ports are powered direct from the battery.

Fwiw, I have remote start, standard fobik (not push to start) and the 'big radio' but not navigation, no idea which radio code that is.
If your '18 radio doesn't have navigation built in, it's a UAS. The 2018 radio similar to yours I installed in my truck has built in navigation, it's a UAQ