Does The Ram Dealership Service Dept Need a Key Fob to Repair My Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I had to have my 2019 3500 towed 95 miles to the dealership last Friday because it would not start. The tow truck driver did not ask me for the key fob and now the Service Dept Director is saying they can not work on my truck w/o a key fob. But, what if I fell behind on my payments and they repossessed my truck? Would they wake me up in the middle of the night to get my key fob?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can't say for sure but lets assume they can program a fob so they could work on your truck. Are you willing to pay for that? A dealership isn't going to just eat that cost. You'll end up paying paying for it in the end.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had to have my 2019 3500 towed 95 miles to the dealership last Friday because it would not start. The tow truck driver did not ask me for the key fob and now the Service Dept Director is saying they can not work on my truck w/o a key fob. But, what if I fell behind on my payments and they repossessed my truck? Would they wake me up in the middle of the night to get my key fob?
Absolutely. How else are they to operate or run the truck? As far as repo, they take the truck and then give X amount of time to turn in the keys or the cost to replace them gets added to the amount owed on the vehicle.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They absolutely need your key FOB. At this point I would probably just fedex it to them. If they have to make one it is going to cost you a Lot more.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Here's a very simple way to look at it. Do you need the key to start your truck or to drive your truck? There's your answer end of story.

As for your repo question, that's a whole other can of worms. As mentioned if you don't hand them over when the truck is towed then you will be billed for the replacement cost.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
No, they d not need YOUR key fob.
The Technician can read your VIN,
look up what FOB is required,
go over to Parts Dept and have them get that FOB,
then use it to start the truck and attempt Repairs.

Would you rather pay for all of this at the Shops hourly rate or, save yourself soem money, and justs give them the FOB.

The Tow Truck driver flat out does not give a crap, about anything.
He;s there to hook up, secure and transport that vehicle as rapidly as he can so he get on to the next paying job.
Less crap that he has to deal with, the better.

Regarding repossessions, that's the Bank, not the Dealer.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Even if you do have the dealer program a new FOB for your truck, FOB programming is all or nothing, that is, if they program a new FOB your existing FOBs will no longer work until they were relearned, and it is possible your current FOBs ban not be relearned due to the marring process (one time only, it is a security feature) depending on the FOB level.

As suggested, save yourself a lot of possible grief, FedEx them the FOB with tracking of course.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow ahhhhhh, how are they supposed to get into it ? Then how are they going to try starting it ?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Maybe we're all missing something here. Is the OPs truck a key start ignition switch and all that his FOB does is unlock/ lock doors? ? ?
My Limited yes they would need my fob. But a base truck like maybe a Tradesman maybe all you need is a key to start.?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, they d not need YOUR key fob.
The Technician can read your VIN,
look up what FOB is required,
go over to Parts Dept and have them get that FOB,
then use it to start the truck and attempt Repairs.
That’s not how it works. They would need to order a new fob (which there is a shortage of, and most are on backorder), and program it to the vehicle.
Even if you do have the dealer program a new FOB for your truck, FOB programming is all or nothing, that is, if they program a new FOB your existing FOBs will no longer work until they were relearned, and it is possible your current FOBs ban not be relearned due to the marring process (one time only, it is a security feature) depending on the FOB level.

As suggested, save yourself a lot of possible grief, FedEx them the FOB with tracking of course.
This is not correct either. The RF Hub can have 8 fobs programmed to it, so programming a new fob just gets added to the RF Hub along with the others that will still work.
There is a function where you can erase all learned fobs from the rf hub. For instance, if one of the fobs is lost or stolen, and you want that fob rendered useless. You would erase all learned fobs from the RF Hub, then simply reprogram the fobs that you do still have.
This applies to all 2013+ ram trucks regardless of the type of key fob.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is not correct either. The RF Hub can have 8 fobs programmed to it, so programming a new fob just gets added to the RF Hub along with the others that will still work.
There is a function where you can erase all learned fobs from the rf hub. For instance, if one of the fobs is lost or stolen, and you want that fob rendered useless. You would erase all learned fobs from the RF Hub, then simply reprogram the fobs that you do still have.
This applies to all 2013+ ram trucks regardless of the type of key fob.
This makes sense now that I think about it, never trust the dealer is providing accurate info. Since the Owners' manual clearly states FOBs can only be learned once, the dealer's information has to be incorrect.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a serious question? Of course the dealer needs the key fob. You need one to start the engine right? They can most certainly program a new one but that's going to cost YOU an extra 3 or 4 hundred dollars maybe more with today's prices. Even if they program a new key they'll still need you keys or the old ones may not be functional afterwards. As far as repossessing the truck is concerned, as someone who used to be a repo man I can honestly tell you that they do not need a key to grab your truck while you sleep.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Is this a serious question? Of course the dealer needs the key fob. You need one to start the engine right? They can most certainly program a new one but that's going to cost YOU an extra 3 or 4 hundred dollars maybe more with today's prices. Even if they program a new key they'll still need you keys or the old ones may not be functional afterwards. As far as repossessing the truck is concerned, as someone who used to be a repo man I can honestly tell you that they do not need a key to grab your truck while you sleep.
Well said, I also cannot believe the OP is that stupe.........

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well said, I also cannot believe the OP is that stupe.........
I mean, I wouldn't call the OP stupid but it really should be a common sense thing to have the keys to the vehicle being worked on. And it's stupi*..... lol

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
This makes sense now that I think about it, never trust the dealer is providing accurate info. Since the Owners' manual clearly states FOBs can only be learned once, the dealer's information has to be incorrect.
So fobs where designed to learn and be paired to one vehicle...learned once. But a locksmith or someone with the right tools can "unlock" your fob and then reprogram it to another compatible vehicle. Unlocking your fob is basically like resetting it to new so it doesn't remember being paired to any vehicle. Ex: You can buy a used fob on ebay that is the right one for your truck, get it unlocked for $10-$20, and then use AlphsODB with a MX+ module (bypass cable for 2018 and up) and add the now unlocked fob to your truck. Get some keys cut that match the fob and you just saved a ton of $$ compared to dealer or locksmith supplying it all. Just did this, works great! Also allows you to use OEM fobs with embedded logo's like the ones that came with truck instead of China knockoffs.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
You can add fobs and leave existing ones programmed to truck as long as you aren't maxed out...which is 8? But agree with rest

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I recently had a Mobile Locksmith make a 2nd Passive FOB for me.

Actually the mobile locksmiths were out, but they also have a store front.

I handed the gal in the store my Primary working FOB,
I also handed her the FOB that i had not been using, believe it or not, it some how shorted out, as it sat on the Entertainment Center shelf. When it shorted out, it caused my Ram's horn to start beeping, right up until i removed the battery.

30 minutes later, i had a new FOB
she had a programmer in a suitcase, that she plugged into the OBD2 port
By the way, for a new FOB, the programming & a brand new Valet Key, she charged me $145.98
IF, you brought in a NEW FOB, they will program it for $49.95

========================
unfortunately, the dealerships prices are not as kindly