Does The Ram Dealership Service Dept Need a Key Fob to Repair My Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I recently had a Mobile Locksmith make a 2nd Passive FOB for me.

Actually the mobile locksmiths were out, but they also have a store front.

I handed the gal in the store my Primary working FOB,
I also handed her the FOB that i had not been using, believe it or not, it some how shorted out, as it sat on the Entertainment Center shelf. When it shorted out, it caused my Ram's horn to start beeping, right up until i removed the battery.

30 minutes later, i had a new FOB
she had a programmer in a suitcase, that she plugged into the OBD2 port
By the way, for a new FOB, the programming & a brand new Valet Key, she charged me $145.98
IF, you brought in a NEW FOB, they will program it for $49.95

========================
unfortunately, the dealerships prices are not as kindly
That's actually not a bad price at all. I bought 3 OEM fobs on ebay for $85 shipped with tax, had them unlocked for $39.99 ($10 each plus shipping back to me $9.99), and programmed them with AlphaODB using MX+ I already had but it took more time overall to do with the shipping time. If I was to do it again, I would see if I could buy OEM unlocked fobs on ebay so when I recieved them I could just go straight to adding them to the truck with AlphODB. Still not as fast as yours though.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I read something on a Locksmith site

They suggest if you have 2 people & they both drive the same vehicle, that you should have 3 FOBS

Right now OEM FOBS are very hard to come by
many locksmiths, like ACE HARDWARE have FOBs that are NOT OEM

The same goes for Wireless Ignition Nodes, WIN Modules

• Genuine:
    mopar.png
  • SKU:56046937AG
  • Other Names: Hub Receiver, Receiver
  • Description:
    WIRELESS IGNITION NODE
  • Replaces:56046937AC, 56046937AD, 56046937AE, 56046937AF
Location rear wall, behind Rear Jump Seat, drivers side

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So fobs where designed to learn and be paired to one vehicle...learned once. But a locksmith or someone with the right tools can "unlock" your fob and then reprogram it to another compatible vehicle.
All I know is what is written in the owners' manual under "KEY FOBS"

NOTE:
 Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be repurposed and reprogrammed to another vehicle.
 Only key fobs that are programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start and operate the vehicle. Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

Duplication of key fobs may be performed at an authorized dealer. This procedure consists of programming a blank key fob to the vehicle electronics. A blank key fob is one that has never been programmed.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
All I know is what is written in the owners' manual under "KEY FOBS"

NOTE:
 Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be repurposed and reprogrammed to another vehicle.
 Only key fobs that are programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start and operate the vehicle. Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

Duplication of key fobs may be performed at an authorized dealer. This procedure consists of programming a blank key fob to the vehicle electronics. A blank key fob is one that has never been programmed.
Understood, probably because they want you to spend more money than necessary at the parts counter...just sharing so others can save some money, especially in today's economy. Did a quick search and found one of many third party tools that a locksmith can use for this....https://www.locksmithledger.com/keys-tools/article/12384679/remunlocker-unlocking-automotive-keys-in-seconds. Not endorsing, but just to show how it can be done.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are people that sell Refurbished FOBs

They must be de-magnetizing them ?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
They have a tool or software on computer that they connect through specific contacts on the fobs remote board that allows them to interface/communicate with it. Then they basically wipe the information of your vehicle the fob is programmed to, as there can only be one car it is set to, off of it. This leaves the fob in a state where it can be paired to another vehicle - just like when you buy a new fob. Is called unlocking/refurbished/renewing a fob. Any fob on like eBay that doesn't reference these terms or doesn't say ready to be programmed just needs this step done to it so you can use your AlphaODB app and MX+ to program it to your vehicle. BTW you can also add fobs to other vehicles as well - probably not all unless you are a locksmith with right equipment. This week I just added a new Toyota fob to my wife's Highlander with a Autel MX808. And I'm getting ready to order fobs for another vehicle as well to do the same thing. You can save save some money if you have the AlphaODB SW with your truck if you need/want to add more fobs. Just need to ensure the fob is in a state where it's ready to be programmed which could be New/unlocked/refurbished/renewed in order to then add it to your truck.....and it's the one that matches your truck!! :)

Last edited:

ShartsOfFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a service technician at a different manufacturer, I’ll lay it out. If your FOB is required to start and run the vehicle, we need it. If it only unlocks your doors, no need, but we need the key…
We are not going to touch it until we get the FOB. We will not burn time we could be working on other cars to make a FOB for your truck.
Either bring it in or mail it in. It’s gonna sit there collecting dust and maybe some dings you can’t prove they provided until they get it. They may start charging you per day storage fees if you let it linger.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is about the silliest thing I have heard here, How the hell are they suppost to work on your truck with out a key?
I don't know why you would have to ask ?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, they d not need YOUR key fob.
The Technician can read your VIN,
look up what FOB is required,
go over to Parts Dept and have them get that FOB,
then use it to start the truck and attempt Repairs.

Would you rather pay for all of this at the Shops hourly rate or, save yourself soem money, and justs give them the FOB.

The Tow Truck driver flat out does not give a crap, about anything.
He;s there to hook up, secure and transport that vehicle as rapidly as he can so he get on to the next paying job.
Less crap that he has to deal with, the better.

Regarding repossessions, that's the Bank, not the Dealer.
I'm not sure on RAMs, but once a FOB is programmed for a particular vehicle, it cannot be reprogrammed.

In either event it'll cost you more whatever they have to do to workaround not having your FOB.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80240 miles

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Who does that? I would have been embarassed to start this post:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

No call for that kind of comment.

Lots of folks do not know, all kinds of things, that many others take for granted or think are basic as can be.
That's why we have Forums.
place where those, who care about a certain topic, can gather together and help each other, by sharing their combined knowledge & experience.

It's not unreasonable for a guy to figure, that with today's sensing a signal from a FOB, that the Dealer would have a machine that could reproduce every FOB's frequency.
Kind of like how a Lock Smith has blank keys of every type and style.

GM can unlock your Doors with just a phone call.
Can't fault a guy for wondering why can't they start the car.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to have my 2019 3500 towed 95 miles to the dealership last Friday because it would not start. The tow truck driver did not ask me for the key fob and now the Service Dept Director is saying they can not work on my truck w/o a key fob. But, what if I fell behind on my payments and they repossessed my truck? Would they wake me up in the middle of the night to get my key fob?
Yes. And is that the closest dealership that’s a long way

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At this point, everyone is beating a dead horse. He mailed the fob to the dealership after the first response…a week ago.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point, everyone is beating a dead horse. He mailed the fob to the dealership after the first response…a week ago.
I'm not surprised, I'm a garage door tech. People lock themselves out of their house and call me. They think they can call me and that when I show up I have some kind of magical box that can talk to their opener and make their garage door go up. okey dokey