Does the UConnect 12-inch add any functions that the UConnect 8.4 doesn't have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Heck, i don't get why anyone would want their whole cab lit up with all that nonsense

That huge screen does not make the maps any larger, it is still on a 8.4" screen & on this i may be mistaken, but i think that i read the maps is displayed on the bottom half of the screen, so your eyes are off the road for a longer period of time.
I drive from Coast to Coast every year at least once & there are several places where you don't have time to look down while changing lanes & avoiding accidents, that is when the EVIC interchange display comes in handy.

I don't want soft keys, give me manually operated knobs, switches & levers

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
On the 2022 the map is full screen.. I do like mine.. after Having both the 12 in my 2022 and the 8 in my 2019. I would go with the 12 no question. The dash does have themes that go along with the screen, so yes.

OP
OP
RichieW13

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 2022 the map is full screen.. I do like mine.. after Having both the 12 in my 2022 and the 8 in my 2019. I would go with the 12 no question. The dash does have themes that go along with the screen, so yes.

I am looking at a used 2019 for sale with a 12-inch UConnect. Is the 2019 version different than the 2022 version? (So annoying that the Ram website doesn't provide much detail on these things, or at least I can't find it.)

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I am looking at a used 2019 for sale with a 12-inch UConnect. Is the 2019 version different than the 2022 version? (So annoying that the Ram website doesn't provide much detail on these things, or at least I can't find it.)
2022 is Uconnect 5. Has wireless carplay and android auto. That is probably main difference.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Heck, i don't get why anyone would want their whole cab lit up with all that nonsense

That huge screen does not make the maps any larger, it is still on a 8.4" screen & on this i may be mistaken, but i think that i read the maps is displayed on the bottom half of the screen, so your eyes are off the road for a longer period of time.
I drive from Coast to Coast every year at least once & there are several places where you don't have time to look down while changing lanes & avoiding accidents, that is when the EVIC interchange display comes in handy.

I don't want soft keys, give me manually operated knobs, switches & levers
I'm not sure what non-sense you are referring to.

The navigation map can be full screen. The map can be half screen and placed at the top or the bottom of the screen. I like the 12" because I can have navigation and my media controls in the lower left and phone controls in the lower right. The 12-inch screen is very configurable.

In my 2015 that has the 8" display with factory navigation, I run a Garmin RV unit so the display shows the media controls. I'm not a fan of the factory navigation, especially the routing abilities in dense cities.

OP, I do not believe there are any setting differences, the setting offerings are option based. If the vehicle has an option, like deployable running boards for example, then the Uconnect (8 or 12) will have a settings page for the option.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Thank you BossHogg

I have asked how the 12" screen can be displayed for over a year

Everyone must assume that everyone else has a 12" screen & i never could get an answer

Even the YouTube videos are poorly done

I wonder if all those lights can be dimmed enough for driving in unfamiliar territories, like i often do, when i am able to work

We often travel between 8PM to 6 AM
This is what i use my pickup to do, night or day
I was not on this Connecticut job, but if you have ever seen those wind powered Generators.
This is the nose cone that the blades fit behind, way up on the tower

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wonder if all those lights can be dimmed enough for driving in unfamiliar territories, like i often do, when i am able to work
The display, at least the 12" display in my 2022 has three lighting modes, night, day, and auto. I have mine set to auto. When the exterior lighting goes on the display switches to dark mode. I don't have an issue with the way it works, some may but I'm happy with it.

You can download the Uconnect manual and it discusses in detail the configurability of the display and each of the display screens pages (like a tablet) plus the personalization of the screens based on the driver or what they refer to as profiles.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
The native Navigation is full screen for the 2019.. but the maps are very outdated.

Android Auto & Apple Carplay are just the top half and you have to plug in to use them.

You can 'window' the 12" screen, NAv up top and MEdia below or any combination you want. To my knowledge, you cannot do that on the 8.4.

I believe there are acouple features on the 8.4 & app that you do not get with the 12" display.. but I cannot recall what they are as I let the POS app expire along time ago.

OP
OP
RichieW13

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2022 is Uconnect 5. Has wireless carplay and android auto. That is probably main difference.

Ohhh, I didn't realize there was a newer Uconnect version for the 2022 trucks. Interesting.

I found this that describes some of the improvements in version 5. https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-uconnect-5

This one might be handy: "Dual-phone connectivity also becomes standard and allows two Bluetooth-enabled phones to be simultaneously connected with the ability to prioritize one over the other for certain functions, like calls or navigation."

OP
OP
RichieW13

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another question: The Uconnect 3 in my 2014 Ram annoys me with the Bluetooth connection. Two things it does:

1) When I get in the truck and start it up, it takes 30-60 seconds before the Bluetooth connects with my phone. (This has happened with multiple different phones I've had over the years.)

2) If I use Bluetooth, and turn the truck off, the next time I get in the truck, the UConnect defaults back to "radio" instead of Bluetooth. So annoying.

Do the newer UConnects solve either or both of these problems?

(Aux input with my old school MP3 player for the win!)

tadalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Here was my logic for choosing the 8.4. If that 12 screen goes out on me and it's 95 or 15 degrees outside and I cannot turn on or adjust heat or A/C how much would I be wishing I'd had the 8.4 and all my normal manual knobs?

OP
OP
RichieW13

RichieW13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here was my logic for choosing the 8.4. If that 12 screen goes out on me and it's 95 or 15 degrees outside and I cannot turn on or adjust heat or A/C how much would I be wishing I'd had the 8.4 and all my normal manual knobs?

The 12" screen has some manual controls. You can still choose temperature and fan speed and turn "auto" on or off. But, you lose the ability to turn on heated/ventilated seats.