Does your Gen 4 have this windshield wiper fluid defect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used it for decades, most recently in my 2000 grand cherokee that I sold when I bought my Ram and in my wifes 07 Pacifica with no issues.
Older ram`s (and your cherokee) didnt have the ww sensors like the 4th gen truck`s use today.
So, i guarantee you`ll eventually have problems with the warning light staying on due to rain-x ww fluid.

The "rain repellent" in the RAIN-X ww fluid coats the sensor, which eventually keeps the sensor from reading correctly.
The new RAIN-X formula is the problem. Likely why you hadn`t had problems in your past vehicles that use electronic sensors.

micbegls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine seem to spray the same time the wipers come on. They wipe on dry glass for the first 2-3" if that. Seems normal to me.

And as for the Rain-X/Orange washer fluid, stay away from it. What others here have said is correct. It leaves will destroy your sensor. So much so that we (i work for an Audi Dealer) have a tsb for it that if you have orange fluid in your car, bring it in and we drain it out and check the sensor. If its just a film its cleaned and replaced along with a new gasket. If its to far gone, the sensor itself replaced.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine seem to spray the same time the wipers come on. They wipe on dry glass for the first 2-3" if that. Seems normal to me.

And as for the Rain-X/Orange washer fluid, stay away from it. What others here have said is correct. It leaves will destroy your sensor. So much so that we (i work for an Audi Dealer) have a tsb for it that if you have orange fluid in your car, bring it in and we drain it out and check the sensor. If its just a film its cleaned and replaced along with a new gasket. If its to far gone, the sensor itself replaced.

I have stayed away from it on my Audi, and every other vehicle since they changed their formula.

But just to reiterate, it is just the Orange that is the problem, the Blue is fine as it doesn't have their "Rain-X" compound in it.

I also have no idea if they went back to their original formula that didn't have the problem, but I know I won't be the wont to find out...

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine has the rain sensing wipers and if i leave them in the on position and use the washer fluid it will wipe before spraying but if i have the wipers in the off position and use the washer fluid it will spray for a very short time before wiping