Doing an oil change and....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Finally got back under the truck, flaked off all the paint and rust, took and sanded it with some Emory cloth I had in the garage, then washed it down with some brake clean, and tossed some paint on it, not happy with the condition of the pan, but it doesn’t appear to be in danger of failing yet. But definitely next year when I drop the pan to swap the filters out, so that’s when I’m gonna replace with either an oem with a drain plug put in it, or an aftermarket aluminum pan with a rubber gasket (I like the rubber gasket option better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just a word of caution with rubber cork impregnated gaskets. they are highly reliable but the sealing face on the pan usually has a raised rib. factory pan may not have that raised rib and possibly wont seal correct.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’m looking at the magtec (I believe that’s the pan without going back to Geno’s website to look) I know it’s costly, but I’m also guessing the deeper sump and being aluminum with some fins, should help keep the fluid abit cooler which is a good thing, and it has a built in drain plug which is nice

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Get a MagHytec pan for it. Very high quality product and it has a drain plug with an extremely strong magnet on it.

Pricey but probably well worth it, and being aluminum it won’t rust [emoji23]

Octane

Reaction score
How common is the trans oil pan to start rotting like this.... it sounds solid when I knock on it... but that flaking and layers of rust have me worried abit.... on the 68rfe is there a better oil pan to go with (like an aluminum or stainless one?)
fc5f86197965fe2f7a60c62e135876bc.jpgb05128a13ef2a2e2dd56165646bcc36c.jpgdaab47d6fb225c4f8e0cfd09478a000b.jpg

Didn’t realize some pics came out blurry, can take a few more when I get home and finish my oil change (had to run my father for blood work the hospital needs ASAP)

It is common.Replace pan.

bigdodge

Reaction score
FYI the factory is using a steel and rubber gasket on the trans pan now. Should be able to get one from the dealership or online.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk