Doing the Power stop pads and rotor upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Just ordered the powerstop z36 tow and haul pads with vented and slotted rotors. The one thing besides the transmission in this truck I have never really cared for are the brakes. I have 161k on it now and the rotors have never been replaced that I can see. I removed the star clips that are installed at the factory to hold the rotors on to know this. Pretty impressed with the way they have held up and still are doing good at this point but I can’t stand the soft feeling pedal. I did replace the fronts with the Wagner pads a while back but didn’t seem to help so I figured I would just upgrade all four.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought my truck back in 2014 its one of the first thing I did. No regrts! they hold up really well. Just be careful on that first stop they grab weird the first couple times. I had some thoughts about upgrading the calipers but I think that is bit overkill... idk have you guys considered it?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I bought my truck back in 2014 its one of the first thing I did. No regrts! they hold up really well. Just be careful on that first stop they grab weird the first couple times. I had some thoughts about upgrading the calipers but I think that is bit overkill... idk have you guys considered it?
I didn't upgrade the calipers ... remember you have to do the bedding of the pads ...

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Caution with the drilled rotors. They will crack and are more for looks than performance.

Amazon had AcDelco performance slotted rotors for $88 each and that was for the 2500 and 3500.

$1k for brakes is outrageous!

Attachments

• 7294AA62-14E2-4626-81AE-E177A123F352.jpeg
    7294AA62-14E2-4626-81AE-E177A123F352.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 21

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I was thinking of going with the PS Z23 moderate package when the time comes, which has ceramic pads instead of carbon fiber ceramic pads in the Z36 tow package. I'm not using the truck to tow through mountainous terrain, so good enough?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking of going with the PS Z23 moderate package when the time comes, which has ceramic pads instead of carbon fiber ceramic pads in the Z36 tow package. I'm not using the truck to tow through mountainous terrain, so good enough?

Thoughts?
I would think you would be ok. I had thought about going that route myself but ultimately went with the tow package. Figured I do tow heavy at times and would be beneficial to just do it. May be over kill but it is what it is.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I would think you would be ok. I had thought about going that route myself but ultimately went with the tow package. Figured I do tow heavy at times and would be beneficial to just do it. May be over kill but it is what it is.

How heavy you tow? I go up to 7,000 lbs total trailer + load.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How heavy you tow? I go up to 7,000 lbs total trailer + load.
Just depends on work usually. I’ve had this truck maxed out at around 12k - 15k at times. I don’t like to do it but sometimes when I get to the site its never what is suppose to be and don’t want to make a second trip. I know it can handle the load but I also know I don’t have a lot of room to spare. Like I’ve said in previous posts, the trans is the weak point so I just set it in 4th gear and and let the engine rev. It does pretty well considering the weight behind it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just depends on work usually. I’ve had this truck maxed out at around 12k - 15k at times. I don’t like to do it but sometimes when I get to the site its never what is suppose to be and don’t want to make a second trip. I know it can handle the load but I also know I don’t have a lot of room to spare. Like I’ve said in previous posts, the trans is the weak point so I just set it in 4th gear and and let the engine rev. It does pretty well considering the weight behind it.

Yep, that's a full load for a 3/4 ton. Definitely PS Z36 application.
I'm not trying to be cheap, just optimizing as I did throughout my working days. If there's no real benefit to my application, no point throwing more $$ at it when a lesser option is available. If they were out of Z23, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade since availability these days is critical.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, that's a full load for a 3/4 ton. Definitely PS Z36 application.
I'm not trying to be cheap, just optimizing as I did throughout my working days. If there's no real benefit to my application, no point throwing more $$ at it when a lesser option is available. If they were out of Z23, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade since availability these days is critical.
It’s not all the time but peace of mind for when I do. I think a lot of people underestimate what the 6.4 can do. It’s a work horse of a motor. Just needs a little bit of upgrading around it.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I yanked the Brembo pads off, and replaced them with Power Stop pads on my GM plastic car at 600 miles. Much cleaner running with liitle dust, and they stop the car like they are supposed too. I'm quite happy with the Power Stop pads.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The stock pads are pretty darn good, You are not going to see a big difference for the money invested (unless your stocks are just completely shot). It's just the nature of the beast for HD trucks. I did the Z36 pads on the front of my cummins and they work fine but it's not a noticable difference over the OEM pads, and yes they were bedded properly.
Most people are referencing what they had on a car or 1/2 ton pickup. Big difference.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The stock pads are pretty darn good, You are not going to see a big difference for the money invested (unless your stocks are just completely shot). It's just the nature of the beast for HD trucks. I did the Z36 pads on the front of my cummins and they work fine but it's not a noticable difference over the OEM pads, and yes they were bedded properly.
Most people are referencing what they had on a car or 1/2 ton pickup. Big difference.

I can understand. I’m not expecting it to stop like a sports car. I don’t have the stock pads now but do have the stock rotors. The pads I have now squeal almost every time I break and not that great compared to other hd trucks I drive from time to time. Plus with the amount of miles I have on the rotors it’s time to change out to something better.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thoughts?
Yes, that's my choice of pads I don't need the Z36 package, and I like the ceramic pads, I got the PS Z23 pads from rock auto don't know about the rotors yet, what are your thoughts?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, that's my choice of pads I don't need the Z36 package, and I like the ceramic pads, I got the PS Z23 pads from rock auto don't know about the rotors yet, what are your thoughts?

I was gonna try PS drilled and slotted, for less rim dust, if nothing else. Up to now, we've been using solid rotors with coating. They work well, maybe drilled and slotted are noticeably better for HD trucks with mid size loads? Drilled and slotted were originally for race cars, with frequent high speed braking, so they needed better cooling. Slots and holes did that.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Would you recommend just a solid, coated rotor and ceramic pad like OEM?

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I yanked the Brembo pads off, and replaced them with Power Stop pads on my GM plastic car at 600 miles. Much cleaner running with liitle dust, and they stop the car like they are supposed too. I', quite happy with the Power Stop pads.
What are you thinking to do on your new rig?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If brake dust is an issue, ceramic coating the wheels will make it easy to just spray it off with water, "once they are cooled" don't spray your wheels with anything until they are completely cool off ...

These z36 pads on my truck don't dust much which I was told they would, but I really do love the stopping power they have with these 20x12 with 37" tires ... the OEM brakes just weren't stopping the truck how I wanted them too, so no brainer

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What are you thinking to do on your new rig?

As I've gotten more mature (re:eek:lder) I find I don't use a truck like I did back in the day. This one will be basically a weekend warrior, and my daily driver. Also, we do enjoy long roads trips, that can be up to 5K miles, to see this beautiful country. This Ram is so comfortable I'm sure it will be on a few of those. The biggest thing is once you've owned a truck it's quite difficult to do without one.

As far as mods my plan is to leave this one stock, except for things like a bumper step that I installed yesterday But, it's a bit early to know if that plan will be successfull. :)