Don't know what to do about diff fluid and transfer case fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
$600 to change your diff fluid front and back?

Thats way way to much money for the job at hand.

Thanks, Ive got a few dodge dealers in the area, so I’ll bounce the question around.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There is the Magnuson-Moss act which prevents companies from voiding your warranty because you used aftermarket services and parts. Hence, if it requires GL-5 spec and you use that spec they can't void your warranty. Just keep your receipts.

MaxCare is a service contract not a warranty. MM act does not apply. Tread lightly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MaxCare is a service contract not a warranty. MM act does not apply. Tread lightly.

This.

It is the "unfortunate" truth, but one that those of us with MaxCare need to know about.

My worry is more along the lines of "if I use a non-OEM oil filter under the factory warranty, will it be noted and used against me when under MaxCare".

I dont *think* thats a big issue, but you never know and you won't find out until its too late.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This.

It is the "unfortunate" truth, but one that those of us with MaxCare need to know about.

My worry is more along the lines of "if I use a non-OEM oil filter under the factory warranty, will it be noted and used against me when under MaxCare".

I dont *think* thats a big issue, but you never know and you won't find out until its too late.

I'm not worried on that level just can't drive forever and never change the tranny fluid. My buddy got his 2015 serviced for $200 somehow at a dealer. I still think they did nothing but at least it's on paper they did. He is telling me they could void the contract for not using Mopar gear lube but I don't worry if it only says "recommended" rather than "use only" or "required".

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not worried on that level just can't drive forever and never change the tranny fluid. My buddy got his 2015 serviced for $200 somehow at a dealer. I still think they did nothing but at least it's on paper they did. He is telling me they could void the contract for not using Mopar gear lube but I don't worry if it only says "recommended" rather than "use only" or "required".

Haha $200 yer right, they probably did nothing.

I never thought about it that way, though....if its on record, its on them. I guess I should just go around trying to find a dealer happy to charge me $200 for nothing, as long as they note it was done!

On the flipside, I actually want my truck to stay working, so I wouldnt mind paying for the fluid to be changed...the problem is finding a dealer I would trust to do it!

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Haha $200 yer right, they probably did nothing.

I never thought about it that way, though....if its on record, its on them. I guess I should just go around trying to find a dealer happy to charge me $200 for nothing, as long as they note it was done!

On the flipside, I actually want my truck to stay working, so I wouldnt mind paying for the fluid to be changed...the problem is finding a dealer I would trust to do it!

That's part of my qualm. I want it to last long enough for my 9 year old to drive it through college. If I do nothing and the tranny fails when it's 15 years old the value of a new 8 speed will easily outweigh the overall truck value. Granted, they give me that said value and we all walk away. I'll probably replace the fluid at 80k miles. I have done it twice on our 4Runner. Not extremely hard just have to get truck level and fluid up to correct temp. I am thinking about using my fluid pump to drain the pan rather than replace the whole damn thing to the tune of $200. Already spent $120 on 6 quarts.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used RedLine for front and rear.
Supposedly the right RedLine for the rear, has the additive already.
Real easy to change in the rear.
The front is a little harder, but still doable in 30 minutes.
Transfer case I haven't done yet.
I have a 2014, with only 26k miles, so I don't have to do things that often to it.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used RedLine for front and rear.
Supposedly the right RedLine for the rear, has the additive already.
Real easy to change in the rear.
The front is a little harder, but still doable in 30 minutes.
Transfer case I haven't done yet.
I have a 2014, with only 26k miles, so I don't have to do things that often to it.

Wow 5year old truck with 26k miles? The transfer case fluid I'd go with mopar. It's expensive but you really only need 2L.

Is anyone using magnetic drain plugs for their diffs, transfer case and oil?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So lets see I have owned and done all my own maintenance on 98 Ram, 99 Ram, 04 Jeep Wrangler, 07 Charger RT, 08 Mercedes Benz ML350, 10 Jeep GC, 11 Ram 1500 5.7, 13 Charger RT, 16 Jeep GC limited and now a 19 Ram 2500 6.4L gas .... I have owned a few cars in my life (more than listed here but you get the idea) and 95% are Mopar .... I will always follow the recommended maintenance schedule for the cars except engine oil changes ...
I go to Amsoil.com punch in my Vehicle I am working on and use the fluids they have listed for that car or truck. I have never (**knock on wood**) had any failed mechanical problem caused by fluids. I use the signature series engine oil from amsoil and do the extended mileage change of 12 to 15,000 miles.... even in both my Chargers which I also took to the drag strip at least once a month when weather permitted. I have done 6 or so Blackstone analysis through NAPA store and they have always come back with minimal breakdown to the oil.
All I am saying is I use quality lubricants and a recommended oil change schedule either by the manufacturer of the vehicle or manufacturer of the fluid, in this case Amsoil, and I have never had a failure that was a result of fluid, only failures as a result of my abuse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As much as we obsess over exactly what oil, trans/diff fluid, etc to use....have there really been THAT many failures due exclusively to the chosen fluid?

I mean yeah, if you put trans fluid in your crankcase, sure. But I would bet even the cheapest of dino oils, as long as you change it regularly, would work just fine. I know the Hemis have issues with cam/lifters but the evidence points at a bad design, not bad oil.

Diffs, transfer case, transmission....again, just how many failures due to fluid have we seen?

Personally, I have seen none. In fact the only engine Ive ever had die on me was a LawnBoy 2 stroke that I had bought used so I could not really verify the history (I assume somewhere along the way someone used straight gas on it), and thats with countless outdoor power equipment and about 15 or 20 cars in my lifetime.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2015 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 8 speed.

I've been calling a few different places getting prices and info.

Ram dealer told me 290 for front and rear diff only without even asking what vehicle I have.

Quick lube + car wash place I got an oil change is 189 for everything but they don't take the covers off, they just pump it out and they would use ATF 4 for the transfer case and 75w140 for the diff fluid.

Local transmission shop told me about 100 for everything which seems low to me.

I asked both places about the Mopar BW44-44 transfer case fluid and the Mopar limited slip additive for the rear but they basically said they use an equivalent.

I asked another place about the Mopar additive and they said they have the Napa equivalents of whatever fluids I would need.

How important are the Mopar fluids? I changed my transfer case fluid on my Jeep a few years ago and remember paying a lot at the dealer for the special Mopar fluid.

View attachment 183373

View attachment 183374
I see your location is NY. If you are up in the Albany area call Opitz Transmissions Inc in Schenectady. These guys do great work and will not try and sell you more than you need...........Hell when I had them install a new trany in my F150, I was gonna have them change the fluid a few months later and they said there was no reason too, just service at the 30K mark. I have also had them help with a driveshaft balance issue after a rear end rebuild on my sons GMC sonoma (ZQ8 suspension truck in really good shape for 20 years old so we make sure we have the best working on it). His guys will do it right and at a fair price. (just an fyi, you may have to schedule 2 or 3 weeks out as he is one of the go to shops in the area)

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As much as we obsess over exactly what oil, trans/diff fluid, etc to use....have there really been THAT many failures due exclusively to the chosen fluid?

I mean yeah, if you put trans fluid in your crankcase, sure. But I would bet even the cheapest of dino oils, as long as you change it regularly, would work just fine. I know the Hemis have issues with cam/lifters but the evidence points at a bad design, not bad oil.

Diffs, transfer case, transmission....again, just how many failures due to fluid have we seen?

Personally, I have seen none. In fact the only engine Ive ever had die on me was a LawnBoy 2 stroke that I had bought used so I could not really verify the history (I assume somewhere along the way someone used straight gas on it), and thats with countless outdoor power equipment and about 15 or 20 cars in my lifetime.

There are people that want to open up the diff to "inspect" and clean magnets when there are drain and fill plugs. I don't get it. Unless something is wrong just drain and fill. It's a pain to clean that large gasket surface and easy to gouge it. The Dakotas use RTV and that was a real mess. Reading too much online will make you paranoid.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Dealership did my Diff change. They forgot the LSD additive....my rear dif sounded like a rollercoaster going up the first big drop....clank clank clank clank...

Once they added the LSD stuff....it has been smooth sailing.

I would make 100% certain you add the additive or use a diff oil that doesn't require it.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
$600 to change your diff fluid front and back?

Thats way way to much money for the job at hand.

So I’m at the dealer getting my oil changed right now. I brought the question up again with a new advisor. He had just run the diagnostic on my 1500. He replied “they start at $450 for all three”. I asked what he meant by all three. He said both diffs and transfer case. I said “it’s a 1500”. He looked confused, so I told him never mind. I’ll just wait on my truck..

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I’m at the dealer getting my oil changed right now. I brought the question up again with a new advisor. He had just run the diagnostic on my 1500. He replied “they start at $450 for all three”. I asked what he meant by all three. He said both diffs and transfer case. I said “it’s a 1500”. He looked confused, so I told him never mind. I’ll just wait on my truck..

What does 1500 have to do with it? 4x4 1500 still has all 3.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imagine what he thought when you said it's a 1500..... and your questions about all 3 Lol.

Last edited:

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
What does 1500 have to do with it? 4x4 1500 still has all 3.

1500 has a front dif? Then I’m the moron.. I thought we only had a rear dif and transfer case since the front is not a solid axle..

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
1500 has a front dif? Then I’m the moron.. I thought we only had a rear dif and transfer case since the front is not a solid axle..

Setups like that are only on AWD cars where there is a transaxle. Typically the engine is mounted sideways. You can kind of see the transfer case and front driveshaft leading to the front diff below on this chassis pic. Solid axle only refers to a longer/wider tube with universal joints going to the knuckles vs cv joints like on the 1500. How the power gets to the center section is the same. On a solid axle, the tube is a stressed member like in the rear.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited: