Don't know what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckl5899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the write-up I got from my dealership about a clicking/popping I have been hearing coming from my front end. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 with 16K miles. This happens when I turn into parking spots or back down my driveway. Can anyone help? The dealership says there is nothing they can do.

Chad, we were able to duplicate the popping noise only when the steering is turned all the way to its stop one way or the other. We checked for any loose or worn components and found where the steering knuckle and the control arm are rubbing. The popping noise occurs when the control arm is moving up or down when they are touching each other. I thought I would send pics to you so you can see where the contact is happening.

Here are the pictures they sent me:

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipO2AWgIWb5UQxpHT69fWBGIn7TL8EeS3qCu7jd3
https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipO2AWgIWb5UQxpHT69fWBGIn7TL8EeS3qCu7jd3

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail_image000002.jpg
    thumbnail_image000002.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image000007.jpg
    image000007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image000006.jpg
    image000006.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 46
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How much of a lift do you have on the truck?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Send a PM to @RamCares with the details and your desired solution and see what they can do, I'm assuming with the year and mileage you're still well within warranty period.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thank you so much for tagging us in this post. We would definitely like to see how we can help. Please send us over a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

OP
OP
C

Ckl5899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing from RAM, was going to follow up tonight. Did talk to the dealership and the service agent told me, to correct the problem don't turn sharp and the rubbing/wearing won't happen. I did not like that answer since there is visible wear/damage to parts.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You are going to have to get someone above the dealership level involved & get a STAR CASE number

( maybe even keep bugging them, so the Star Case is not dropped )

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
That’s something any IFS suspension will do if the design has the steering stops designed into the mating surfaces of the A-arm and the spindle. It’s a common design.

Some cars will use a rubber isolator at the point of contact, or designed a stop into the rack instead.

If it bothers you a little grease on the contact point will quiet it. I wouldn’t, because it’ll just attract dirt.

Looking at the photos, you might get some relief by smoothing the castings where the two parts touch.

From the wear marks it looks like you are frequently hard up against the steering stops. I avoid that myself because it’s a lot of load on the steering components. Backing off the steering wheel a minor amount after reaching the limit takes away most of the pressure, stops any creaking and popping, and it still turns 99% of maximum.

OP
OP
C

Ckl5899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sent a message to Ram Cares tonight. Should hear back rather quickly.

Always Late

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The pictures posted it appears that the steering knuckle is contacting the control arm. The flattened area (with the appearance of some lube applied) is called a steering stop. In the old days those areas should lube at every oil change service. They will make alot of noise when full lock steering if not lubed and going over uneven surface. On some vehicles especially with extended oil change service and hardly any chassis grease fittings, these are frequently missed.

Update: I should have read Travelin Ram post, it is spot on. No insult/hurt feelings intended! Sorry!

I hope this helps. Until next time.

Always Late

Hope to be late to my funeral!

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The pictures posted it appears that the steering knuckle is contacting the control arm. The flattened area (with the appearance of some lube applied) is called a steering stop. In the old days those areas should lube at every oil change service. They will make alot of noise when full lock steering if not lubed and going over uneven surface. On some vehicles especially with extended oil change service and hardly any chassis grease fittings, these are frequently missed.

Update: I should have read Travelin Ram post, it is spot on. No insult/hurt feelings intended! Sorry!

I hope this helps. Until next time.

Always Late

Hope to be late to my funeral!
On the older D-series Dodge pickups putting grease on the stops was on the list to do at every oil change. They'd make a heck of a noise if you didn't.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87816 miles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There ought to be a Limiter of some kind on the steering

On my Ram, i can hear when i am backing up with the steering cranked all the way, i back off just a touch.
I can't hear it when i am going forwards, so i am making myself back off just a bit when it touches whatever it is that limits it.

I don't know if you can burn out the electric motor, but i know when it is hydraulic power steering, it makes a mess

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the write-up I got from my dealership about a clicking/popping I have been hearing coming from my front end. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 with 16K miles. This happens when I turn into parking spots or back down my driveway. Can anyone help? The dealership says there is nothing they can do.

Chad, we were able to duplicate the popping noise only when the steering is turned all the way to its stop one way or the other. We checked for any loose or worn components and found where the steering knuckle and the control arm are rubbing. The popping noise occurs when the control arm is moving up or down when they are touching each other. I thought I would send pics to you so you can see where the contact is happening.

Here are the pictures they sent me:

Oh, gee! This problem has existed for many years since the early 50's when front suspensions were re-invented. Try putting VERY thick grease on those contact points. STA-LUBE makes a very thick grease which I keep a tub of in my shop. It is technically called "Drum Brake Wheel Bearing Grease" It is the consistency of very thick snot, and will not get hot and run off. This is a point of regular maintenance. You'll have to apply the grease every other oil change, or so. I've been doing it since the 70's when I got into this business. Maybe the "new" generation of so-called techs should be mentored by an old crusty geezer such as me. I had a mentor when I was young and had hair. He was a Rolls-Royce Master, and worked on antique cars as well. He taught me a lot of what ain't in any manual or service info.

One interesting note: The use of aluminum for steering knuckles is crazy, IMHO! Cast iron all the way, I say!