DON'T USE OPEN TOP LEVEL SPACERS

Discussion in 'Lifted' started by hodge-xj, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:55 PM.

1. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Now that i have your attention, save yourself the trouble of chasing down noises and constant ride quality issues only to have to replace everything on your struts.

The previous owner had installed these and since the day I brought it home I had a terrible squeak, and it generally rode like shit. I knew I was getting rid of them so I just ignored it until I installed my new setup.

The problem is, our strut top hats are not solid and don't support the center bushing, that's done by the actual frame mount itself. Hsving an open center allows the shock shaft to travel through the spacer until it hits something to stop it. Mine had been on long enough it wore through the spacers almost all the way, and the center shock shaft wore a groove into both frame mounts. So do yourself a favor and spend money on a properly engineered leveling suspension.

Pics of the damage:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm likes this.
  2. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    Damn somebody don’t know shit about mechanics.
    I’m glad you found the problem.

I love my truck!
    Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

3. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Ouch, Thanks for sharing Hodge, just another reason why top spacers are the biggest POS you can do to your precious truck or vehicle, i know people get lured by their prices and everything, but they're not worth the price, nor the time to install them, dump those suckers out and burn them to hell, lol.

McBroom likes this.
  4. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    This is a perfect example of why they're junk, cheap, not thought out and potentially dangerous. The strut was mangled. I'm not trying to be dramatic but the wear it was causing was getting borderline dangerous in places. Had it not been audible I may not have replaced these quite as quickly which could have been bad.

5. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Dang that’s terrible

6. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    No wonder my ride was so bad. The shaft literally has a 2" dead spot where it had to travel up before it would stop free floating and actually engage the shock shaft. And these were nice looking aluminum spacers too. LIES....THEY ARE JUNK

7. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Senior Member Military Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I also made the mistake of buying those POS spacers. But like most I didnt want to spend teh cash on a proper lift. What a waste of money...

[​IMG]

hodge-xj likes this.
  8. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Pic didn't work. It's unfortunate because the spacers get pushed like they are worth the savings. 5100s are worth the low cost for their performance. Spacers aren't. Not saying all spacers will damage the strut like mine, this was an extreme example and I have no idea the overall mileage on it. But I do know, if the spacer has an open center/top, this WILL happen.

joshuaeb09 likes this.