Door expander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Crazy question. Just locked my keys in my truck for the second time. This time the engine was running/ Thank god for AAA. So here is my question. There are kits you can buy just like the ones the guy used. However where would I store it. If I lock my keeys in the truck that means all four doors and the tailgate are locked. I have a tonneau cover but cannot open it unless the tailgate comes down. Can't store it inside the truck obviously. Can't store it in the bed since I would not be able to get at it since the tailgate locks. Any suggestions on where it could be stored?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As mentioned above a magnetic key box, another place to stick the box would be through one of the headlight access openings in the front wheel well.
You an also have the emergency key that in the fob cut in a regular Chrysler key

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to store, have another emergency key cut. Put that on a small ring, and get in the habit of carrying it WHENEVER U use the truck, period. About a $4.00 fix and solves issues. I go NO WHERE off of my property without the "extra" key in my pocket. I personally was never a person fond of storing a key in a magnetic box. If for no other reason, U got fob in truck. They get in and not by say breaking window, bye bye truck. Just saying.

ADDED: When U open the truck with the "emergency" key, alarm will sound, so U R not surprised.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could Buy what they call a Transponder Key
ponder-key-blank-y170-pt-aftermarket-ilco-brand-28.jpg
The blade opens the door, the head of the transponder key is a chip, just like your FOB
Of course keep security in mind

Go somewhere besides the dealership

ACE Hardware may be selling them again, if they are they can cut the blade & program them also
If not, many locksmiths now carry Fobs & program them too

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're in the habit of losing keys, keep a spare one on the vehicle. There are dozens of places you could keep one that aren't visible where you could sneak one and find it by touch in an emergency. I used to do that when I was single but now I just have one at home where my wife could bring it if I locked myself out. When we both go on a road trip I clip a spare key on a carabiner under the vehicle.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another option, is the emergency key on a stainless ring and put it behind the license plate using the plate bolt to hold it in place behind the plate.
Often is pretty easy to find a screwdriver or even a coin to get one of the those bolts out.

The magnetic ones are good, but I have had those corrode shut from salt, etc. So look for a clean dry place to put it :)

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I see that the OP's truck is a 14 so it may not be applicable,
but locking ones self out is the best advertisement for U-Connect I can think of.
Then it could be unlocked by his phone or long distance.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The magnetic ones are good, but I have had those corrode shut from salt, etc. So look for a clean dry place to put it :)

Plastic ones that won’t corrode are available, and even the metal ones won’t rust if tucked inside the upper rails of the box.

best,
DG

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the hardware store make an all metal copy of the key inside the FOB . I only have a Caribiner on the fFOB . All other keys along with the copy is on a key ring with tool box key ,house key, bottle opener, Hitch lock which stays in my pocket . This way I can still get into the truck if I lock my keys inside

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the local locksmith cut me a regular plain simple key. I have push button start, so I just wanted a key to open the doors if I needed it. It is on my key ring that is always in my pocket.

1mFdj0.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20211206021.jpg

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Talk to me about UConnect. How can I use that in situations like this?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Talk to me about UConnect. How can I use that in situations like this?
If your truck supports it, it is an app to install on your phone.
I had it on my "15" RAM and my wifr has it on her "18" Jeep, I don't have it on my "19".
My "19" radio is not compatible with it.
If compatible once you have the app on your phone it has several features available to you.
1)Remote starting from your phone-no distance or structure limits
2) Finding your vehicle in large parking lots
3) Checking where your vehicle is located compared to your location
4) remote locking or unlocking- also no structure or distance limits
5) also your vehicle heath to your phone including tire pressure
6) if your wife or someone else is able to log on to your account they can also with the app they can do all the above also
7) you can call U-connect and they can unlock for you
8) I'm sure there are more but can't think of them now.

It is expensive when the trial period expires, although if you let it lapse you will get discount offers

It is very much like GM's On-Star system used to be.

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
So it looks like I have UConnect on a 5" screen although I cannot tell you what version it is. I am unaware of having to pay for anything regarding UConnect. Is UCOnnect 5 capable of using the app?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.driveuconnect.com/

The link should take you to U Connect, then the connectivity drop down tab should give you the information if you want to continue.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a key on a small carabiner attached to the undercarriage. I would hate to have to crawl under there, especially in the winter, but I know it's there.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it looks like I have UConnect on a 5" screen although I cannot tell you what version it is. I am unaware of having to pay for anything regarding UConnect. Is UCOnnect 5 capable of using the app?
You have U connect 4, or maybe even 3 that old of a truck. U connect 5 new for 2022.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
He, like many others, don't know the actual name for their Ram radios

RA 1 is the cheapest radio, the screen is only 3", it may not even have Bluetooth or the Free built in Uconnect

RA 2 has a 5" screen It does have Bluetooth, it will connect up to a tailgate camera, it does have a Touch Screen, it may have free built in Uconnect

RA 3 has a 8.4" touch screen, it has several cell phone APPS & most everything except Navigation, ( it can be upgraded to have Navigation, for about $ 600 )

RA 4 is the Premier Ram, it has all the features of the RA 3 & it comes with Navigation, it also has Stereo in some formats & 3D Nav.

Beginning in 2018, the radios began doing tricks that i have not looked at

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Diving deeper , trying to understand Uconnect

There are 2 types of Uconnect

The first type is always Free, it is built into your Ram & works with Bluetooth

The other Uconnect is only free for a trial period & after that it jumps to something like a $22 monthly fee
It some how connects your Smart Phone to the radio using APPS
One of the fancier APPS allows the truck owner to be miles from the truck & say their Better Half needs to get into the truck.
The truck owner can use an APP on the cell phone to call someone up in Auburn Hills Michigan & that person can unlock the trucks door & the Better Half can get into the vehicle.
Using another APP, the vehicle owner can Start the truck from any where there is cell service

Fee based Uconnect video

Last edited:

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unlike the other manufactures you can get a dumb flat metal key that fits our rams and will unlock the doors. As for those worried about rusting coat key in thin film of vasiline, wrap in wax paper then place in plastic magnetic key box.