DOOR WEIGHT SPECIFICATION STICKER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My vehicle is a 2019 Ram 1500 hemi etorque. Can anyone tell me to meaning of my door sticker concerning weight capabilities of this truck. The GVRW says 7100 pounds and what I assume is the axle capacities at front 3900 and rear 4100 pounds. Totaled together that’s 8000 pounds. What does this mean if the truck can only handle 7100 pounds. The tire sticker shows a cargo capacity of 1424 pounds. I’m confused.

Do I just stick to the 7100 pounds and the number not to exceed? Thanks Dennis

D2127286-6D9B-4D70-BD40-79BD0A73823D.jpeg

8B4D5BCE-26F4-466F-8191-4AD78C10A8F8.jpeg

291B351D-8642-4FA4-A696-B1EF377FC9CC.jpeg

220C2608-D612-4F91-8008-C96362BB1333.jpeg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have 1424#s of payload from the factory. Go weight your truck with a full tank of gas as all your gear in it plus you. Take that number and subtract it from 7100. That is your real payload.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
GVWR is the gross vehicle weight rating i.e. the max your truck should weigh loaded up including fuel, passengers, gear, accessories, tongue or pin weight of trailers, load in the bed, etc...

You just need to know the weight of your truck and anything you want to tow with it, carry in it, etc...

Here is a link to the 2019 Ram truck capacity chart which will help with your truck's model:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuild...jGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBAvoEbjA+c5q

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kind of figured the 1424 was the factory number even though it was on the tire sticker. The chart MADDOG directed me to shows it should be 1780 pounds. Am I to assume the other numbers posted for my truck aren’t really accurate and not to go by them? Do I have a 11250 pound towing capacity and 17000 combined? Are these numbers correct? Seems impossible that they are correct in the real world towing.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I kind of figured the 1424 was the factory number even though it was on the tire sticker. The chart MADDOG directed me to shows it should be 1780 pounds. Am I to assume the other numbers posted for my truck aren’t really accurate and not to go by them? Do I have a 11250 pound towing capacity and 17000 combined? Are these numbers correct? Seems impossible that they are correct in the real world towing.
The numbers in the chart are for a tradesman in that configuration.

The door jamb is your payload.

Take the 7100 minus your 1424 and that gives you the base weight of your truck.

This means your truck with full fluids and no passengers and cargo weighs 5676.

The axle weights combined weigh more than the gross because the axles are more capable than the brakes on the truck.

7100 is what you can load your truck too and expect your brakes and steering to work as designed.

You can load an axle to the 3900 front and 4100rear...but your braking and steering will be affected.

Again...the chart is not an accurate representation of a specific truck. It is the confirmed numbers for that configuration in a tradesman trim.

Once you add the components of the trim you get to where you are...with the 1424 payload.

With RamBox and MFT we have seen payloads down to 900lbs.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
And to add to this. A gas truck has a 60/40 split empty.

So your 5676 base weight will be 3405 front and 2270 rear. So you have 495 lbs left for the front and 1830 in the rear. BUT, you really should not exceed 7100...unless it is a short, slow travel cautious trip. AND, of course the engine can move more than gross...but the brakes really do not like to stop it...and loading the rear can lift the front...moving where your headlights point and making your steering light and your tires led helpful in stopping.

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have RamBox and MFT. I have a small TT that comes in at about 6800 pounds loaded with a tongue weight of 650 pounds. According to all the numbers I’m at max with with just me the wife and my dogs. Nothing in the bed of the truck. This really is depressing as I though this truck was exactly what I needed. This is the best vehicle I have every owned. I was hoping with this truck I could get a little larger trailer.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I do have RamBox and MFT. I have a small TT that comes in at about 6800 pounds loaded with a tongue weight of 650 pounds. According to all the numbers I’m at max with with just me the wife and my dogs. Nothing in the bed of the truck. This really is depressing as I though this truck was exactly what I needed. This is the best vehicle I have every owned. I was hoping with this truck I could get a little larger trailer.
Well you have a substantially good payload for RamBox and MFT.

Yes this is what sucks about the 1500 truck.

If you can load your stuff in the camper you will be fine. And you can exceed gross some...as long as you understand braking and steering will be affected.

Getting your weight distribution hitch setup you can actually put some weight back to the trailer.

Why a CAT scale trip is very necessary to set up the truck.

With your travel trailer having less than 10% Tongue weight will not be a good tow though.

Is the 6800 dry weight or an actual scale weight? The travel trailer should have 12 to 14 % to tow well.

If 6800 is dry weight...you are going to be way over. If it is gross weight...you have room to make it work.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The above posts are accurate. You cannot max out both axles at the same time as you will be over GVWR but can max either one as long as you stay under 7100lbs.

Max towing can rarely ever be achieved legally due to payload. A typical 1500 has about 1300-1500lbs of payload. There has been plenty of discussion on here about 2500 Cummins. Typical payload on those is only about 2100lbs so you are limited to about a 10,000-12,000lb trailer even though they are rated to tow about 17,000lbs.

1500's really are only meant to tow small trailers but you need to get actual weights with your travel trailer and everything loaded as you would be driving on a trip. As long as the truck axle weights are under 7100lbs and neither axle is over max then you are ok. A CAT scale will weigh all 3 at the same time, meaning front axle, rear axle, and trailer axles. Most truck stops have a CAT scale and it is about $12 for a weighing. Each additional weighs are I think $2 as long as it is within so many hours. You only need one weigh to see if you are over max.

Here is a copy of a CAT scale slip of my sons 2018 2500 6.4 and his 26' travel trailer. Truck was about 8100lbs and the trailer was 8100lbs. The truck axles total 9000lbs but that has the tongue weight included. The trailer says 7000lbs but you have to add that 1000lb tongue weight back onto the trailer to see it's actual weight.

Blaise_weigh_slip.png
Blaise_truck_and_camper.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be going to the scales in the next couple of days. The 6800 is fully loaded with fresh water in the tank, 52 gallons. I have a husky center line WDH that I’ve been trying to set correctly but I’m not satisfied how the trailer pulls. It sways a bit to much for my liking. Still adjusting things. I have never pulled a trailer so I really don’t know whats right or wrong. The truck certainly has enough power pull my trailer.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you have a substantially good payload for RamBox and MFT.

Yes this is what sucks about the 1500 truck.

If you can load your stuff in the camper you will be fine. And you can exceed gross some...as long as you understand braking and steering will be affected.

Getting your weight distribution hitch setup you can actually put some weight back to the trailer.

Why a CAT scale trip is very necessary to set up the truck.

With your travel trailer having less than 10% Tongue weight will not be a good tow though.

Is the 6800 dry weight or an actual scale weight? The travel trailer should have 12 to 14 % to tow well.

If 6800 is dry weight...you are going to be way over. If it is gross weight...you have room to make it work.
100% agree here. The dry weight will be way under what you actually are by about 1000lbs after you load it up. My son had about 13% tongue weight on his in that weigh slip I just posted. His GVWR on his trailer is about 8400lbs so he was close to maxed out. Take your trailers dry weight and add about 1000lbs and that will get you a ballpark but you really need to weight it to know for sure.

Now with that said, and I am not telling you it is ok to do it but many people tow an 8000lb trailer with a 1500 with no issues.

Do you have much towing experience? That will make a difference too. My son just came back from Minnesota (1400 miles) last night towing his TT. He did have some trailer sway with side winds and was sort of surprised by it but with a 1500 that side wind can really affect your handling. Braking is also an issue. I towed his TT with my 2013 1500 and it was ok but did get quite a bit of sway from semi's passing but I have been towing trailers since I got my license 35 years ago. My step-son has a TT he has towed with his 2015 1500, his 2019 1500 and now his 2020 Tundra. His TT has a dry weight of about 5500lbs so probably 6500-7000 loaded. He has never weighed his but only tows it a few times a year and short distances as he leaves it at the campground all summer

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be going to the scales in the next couple of days. The 6800 is fully loaded with fresh water in the tank, 52 gallons. I have a husky center line WDH that I’ve been trying to set correctly but I’m not satisfied how the trailer pulls. It sways a bit to much for my liking. Still adjusting things. I have never pulled a trailer so I really don’t know whats right or wrong. The truck certainly has enough power pull my trailer.

ok. so you just answered a few questions here. You can download the CAT app and enter a debit card so you can get your weights right on your phone without having to go inside. Here is what I would do. Go get a weight of everything like I said. Then pull out of the way and chock your trailer wheels and disconnect the trailer and weight just the truck. Now you can get your tongue weight. Add that tongue weight back to your trailer axles to get a total trailer weight. Now divide the tongue weight by the total trailer weight. In my sons case from the slip above he had about 1000lbs tongue weight divided by 8000lbs trailer weight = 12.5%.

My son also has the Husky TS Centerline WDH. Very good hitch. If you aren't in the 10-15% range then try adjusting the hitch to get that. The Husky has a pivotable ball (by moving the washers) and that will affect how much torsion is on the bars.

Question for @392DevilDog (or others that know this) do you need to disconnect the WDH to ger an accurate tongue weight? Thought I read that before. We did not disconnect my sons but he is way under max and it tows like a dream so we knew it was close enough. He has towed this over 7000 miles in 2 years and has never had an issue. He is leaving tomorrow morning for a 5 hour trip to West Chester, PA with it. He lives in it near his work sites so it goes where he goes.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, and at 6800 fully loaded you should be good as long as you keep your truck axle weights under 7100lbs

IMG-5919.jpg

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes. You need to do 3 weighs at the CAT scale.

You can do them in any order. But it is easiest to drive in and weigh

Truck and trailer with WDH attached.

Then if no one else is there, just unhook the WDH bars or chains and weigh again.

Then drive off and park the trailer. Then drive back on with the hitch and bars, no trailer.

This will give you all the weights you need.

The scale has 3 pads. One for steer axle (truck front axle) one for drive axle(truck rear axle) and kne for the trailer axles.

Be sure to hit all 3 with the proper axle.

Like I said there is no lack of power. The 5.7 l Hemi in the 1500 is actually more powerful than the 5.7l that was used in the HD trucks.

It is brakes and steering that limit the GVWR.

Any questions feel free to ask. There is alot of knowledge here and alot of helpful folks

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What you will find is you may need to travel with empty tanks. That will help alot.

Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png
As you can see...my trailer is light enough to tow with a 1500...but because I load the truck with passengers wood and bikes and kayaks etc. We can not use a 1500. Got about 2400lbs payload in the truck.

With a 1500 you can tow or haul...you can not do both.

With putting as much in your trailer as you can...you will be able to tow more...if that makes sense.

My trucks base weight is 7002. As you can see it is loaded to 9420. Your trucks gross is only 98lbs more than my base.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And for reference our 2500 have much higher axle weights, which is why we are ok with that much weight on them. My front max is 5500 and rear max is 6500. My sons is the same (our trucks are 100% identical other than color).

And yeah, it is tough to tow a larger trailer and haul anything in a 1500. Just for reference anything in or on your truck adds to payload. Larger/heavier tires, wheels, tonneau cover, heavier bumpers, cup of coffee in the cupholder, etc.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Dennis2, when you are going on a trip, keep your water tank as low as you can until you get close to your destination for day.

Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon

10 gallons should be enough to flush the toilet a couple of times & still have enough water to cook
Anything more than that, you will be wasting fuel & wearing out brakes.
Fill up your tanks when you get near your final destination.
Good luck & have fun.

You can't go by the weight on the side of the tires, except when you are purchasing them to make sure they are adequate for a particular vehicle.
Tires that may be on a 1500 Ram, may also fit on heavier & lighter vehicles
The weight imprinted on the tire is only to state what that particular tire is capable of handling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have very little experience pulling a trailer or driving a truck for that matter. I just get stressed being able to see what’s going on around me. I have a rear camera that’s on all the time and tow mirrors. Using mirrors for me is difficult trying to judge whats near of far. By the time I get where I’m going I’m worn out. Something I’m working on! Many thanks for all the advice. Next trip is Sunday so a little more experience gained. Hope to get to the scales before then.

Speaking of payload capacity the sticker shows 1424 pounds an tire pressure of 38 pounds. Should I keep my truck tires at 38 psi or go by what’s on the tires themselves for maximum payload, 50 psi.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
That is about 400lbs of water. Do the sites you go to not have water?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have very little experience pulling a trailer or driving a truck for that matter. I just get stressed being able to see what’s going on around me. I have a rear camera that’s on all the time and tow mirrors. Using mirrors for me is difficult trying to judge whats near of far. By the time I get where I’m going I’m worn out. Something I’m working on! Many thanks for all the advice. Next trip is Sunday so a little more experience gained. Hope to get to the scales before then.

Speaking of payload capacity the sticker shows 1424 pounds an tire pressure of 38 pounds. Should I keep my truck tires at 38 psi or go by what’s on the tires themselves for maximum payload, 50 psi.
i would follow what is on your sticker, not the tires.

And just go slow, make wide turns and don't be afraid to get out and walk back to take a look behind you before backing up. As many walks back there as it takes