DOOR WEIGHT SPECIFICATION STICKER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have very little experience pulling a trailer or driving a truck for that matter. I just get stressed being able to see what’s going on around me. I have a rear camera that’s on all the time and tow mirrors. Using mirrors for me is difficult trying to judge whats near of far. By the time I get where I’m going I’m worn out. Something I’m working on! Many thanks for all the advice. Next trip is Sunday so a little more experience gained. Hope to get to the scales before then.

Speaking of payload capacity the sticker shows 1424 pounds an tire pressure of 38 pounds. Should I keep my truck tires at 38 psi or go by what’s on the tires themselves for maximum payload, 50 psi.

50 PSI in the rear tires will help it feel more stable. If you don’t have LT tires and are still on the P rated tires I would consider switching to a load range D at least if not an E. The stiffer sidewall will help with stabilization.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i have a capacity payload, i run my tire pressure 2 or 3 pounds more than the door sticker.
If you go much more than that, your likely to get some sort of notice on your EVIC

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
on my 2017 Laramie 1500 - I ran rated door sticker pressure -39psi, stock tires on the 20s, Eaz-Lift Elite 1000 weight distribution - towing a Dutchmen Deli 289RK 1000s of miles.

For me the key is proper load setup, proper vehicle maintenance, proper traveling mindfulness (speed, rest - human and vehicle, proper following distance) is just as important as the rest.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Also, like was just mentioned, keep greater distance between you and the vehicle in front of you than you normally would and if the roads are wet increase that distance even more. Just slow everything down and take your time. Higher speeds increase the possibility of trailer sway. When a large vehicle passes you (tractor trailer) you will feel the sway. Anticipate this by slowing down when you see one coming

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally was able to get to the scales but not with my trailer. The weights shown are with WDH on but no one in the truck. I didn’t think it would weigh this much. 7100 max minus 6080 only gives me 1020 for cargo. 600 pounds is what has to be in the truck only giving me 420 pounds for pin weight. Ouch! There are a few things in the truck bed that I could put in the trailer but not much. I never expected to be this close in weight as I thought this was a rugged truck at least it looks that way.

420D2D22-B249-4D5A-AB54-0FE8DD462615.jpeg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It adds up real fast, and there is no way to add capacity to a truck. You may read about bags, but they are just makeup, they do nothing for trailer towing. Too much weight in the rear means your front wheels have less down force which degrades braking since the larger percentage of a vehicle's braking occurs in the front. And trying to load more behind the trailer wheels just adds sway. The only way to go is reduce weight you carry. Get water, firewood, food, etc. once you arrive. You could add 100 pounds back to capacity by always driving with no more than half a tank of gas, but you stop twice as much.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
It adds up real fast, and there is no way to add capacity to a truck. You may read about bags, but they are just makeup, they do nothing for trailer towing. Too much weight in the rear means your front wheels have less down force which degrades braking since the larger percentage of a vehicle's braking occurs in the front. And trying to load more behind the trailer wheels just adds sway. The only way to go is reduce weight you carry. Get water, firewood, food, etc. once you arrive. You could add 100 pounds back to capacity by always driving with no more than half a tank of gas, but you stop twice as much.

A half tank of gas in my truck is only ~100lbs, so that is not much savings either.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wasn't sure how big the tank was, just using a 32 gallon tank the weight is about 200 pounds. Not an ideal solution by any stretch.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yeah 1500's are only made for smaller trailers. Once you get to around 25' or 7000lbs loaded you are getting close to 2500 territory. Not that they won't or can't do it but6 that they aren't legal to do it and the bigger/heavier you go the more uncomfortable it gets

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tire psi should be increased significantly when fully loaded, imo.

Years ago in the owners manual, there used to be a chart that gave the psi for the load and at max load you were near max psi on the tire.

And if you have the actual LT275/65/18 tires with a load range of 113S, I would go up in quality of tires.
Even a P275/65/18 has a higher load rating!

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just had to trade my 1500 in and got a 2500. I was over the max for both payload and GCWR for the 1500 for even a one week camping trip and we're planning on going out west this summer.
Thee 2500 is more stable, and I'm nowhere near capacity.
And oh yea the Cummins is a complete different animal.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
When i have a capacity payload, i run my tire pressure 2 or 3 pounds more than the door sticker.
If you go much more than that, your likely to get some sort of notice on your EVIC

my door jamb sticker says 34# I think..my tires say max 51#..I have run 40# front and 42# rear before while towing...got no alarm or anything from the truck's computer..folks on a cpl. rv blogs all say no need to add air so I dialed back to running 38# all the way around when towing. I cant help thinking that the extra stiffness in the tires helps the ride while towing.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
my door jamb sticker says 34# I think..my tires say max 51#..I have run 40# front and 42# rear before while towing...got no alarm or anything from the truck's computer..folks on a cpl. rv blogs all say no need to add air so I dialed back to running 38# all the way around when towing. I cant help thinking that the extra stiffness in the tires helps the ride while towing.

It is all a system. You lose compliance with over inflated tires also. I towed my 289rk 1000s of miles on stock tires at stock pressure. Never did i feel uncomfortable.

I think that is another key point, as long as you are in specs and you feel good. Then the journey is good.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally was able to get to the scales but not with my trailer. The weights shown are with WDH on but no one in the truck. I didn’t think it would weigh this much. 7100 max minus 6080 only gives me 1020 for cargo. 600 pounds is what has to be in the truck only giving me 420 pounds for pin weight. Ouch! There are a few things in the truck bed that I could put in the trailer but not much. I never expected to be this close in weight as I thought this was a rugged truck at least it looks that way.

View attachment 235718

Looks can be deceiving.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can't go by the pressure on the sidewall of the tire
That sidewall PSI means that which ever vehicle that you put that tire on, that is the PSI that you can't go over
That tire may be put on a 1/2 ton up to a 1 ton, it was not just designed for whichever Ram you are driving.

If you want to safely but not Legally raise your vehicles payload or tow capacity,
First you would have to set up your vehicle with larger diameter Brakes
Larger Springs would definitely help.
If your someone that works the vehicle like for farming or wood hauling, you should run something like 10 ply tires

I'll tell you something that police look for when trying to decide whether or not to pull you over for suspected overloading

If your bed is parallel with the road, they will not give your vehicle a 2nd look
If the truck is sagging 2" to 3" at the tailgate, they are going to look at you hard, they are going to watch the tires for walking side to side.
Having the bed parallel with the road, when pulling a trailer is also something they look for.

I know all of you have seen a car or truck with the hood emblem up in the air & the tailgate squatting & the trailer tongue doing a nose dive & the trailer rear bumper up in the air.
That person is going to be pulled over & ticketed. Then likely towed off the highway.

Keeping the trucks bed level when Towing, can be accomplished by using a properly adjusted weight distributing hitch

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well the brakes on my laramie are great and my travel trailer has 4 wheel electric brakes. I have never had a problem stopping. changing out springs sounds like an interesting idea tho. I have heard of folks putting some variable rate stiffer springs on to get more capacity. I added a leaf to my '17 gmc 1500 and it stiffened up the back end a little. my son bought a new 2500 laramie dsl and has already added some nice airbags to it so I may go that route just for extra piece of mind when towing. my trailer is about 6000# so no need to get carried away just tweaking .

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn with RAMBOX and MFT.
When hauling 16 foot lumber, does anyone haul the boards with the MFT down.
Or, since the truck has a MFT, is it safer to haul the lumber with the MFT up and fully closed?
Of course, the lumber will be strapped down to prevent movement regardless.
Please advise and thanks, in advance.
RBJ