Doors swing open way to easy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jberry805

Reaction score
2014 ram 2500 crew cab.

Is there an adjustment or something to slow down the Doors opening? Maybe something is broken?

I barley open my door and they just swing open, sometimes so hard I think its going to bend or break something.

Any help?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welll cant say i have heard of this before lol take a pic of your door hinges on one of the doors.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look at your truck door's lower hinge. There is a 'roller' and a spring. The spring puts pressure on the roller as it rolls across a bar with two bumps in it. The roller has a bushing ..but it is also under a fair amount of spring pressure. More than likely the bushing on your roller is worn (does it seem 'loose' on it's shaft?). When it does that it removes a bit of the spring pressure that would otherwise 'catch' in the valleys of that bar with bumps on it.

It could also be the spring is missing/fell out, or the bar with bumps is worn, or the hinge bushings themselves are worn (causing the two halves of the hinge to 'push out' ..again less pressure on that 'bar'. To check for a worn door hinge, grab the back/bottom of the door and pull 'up and 'out' on it ...up/down hard. If you feel movement, check the hinge bushings.

The fix is to replace the lower hinge assembly. If it's just a worn roller bushing, and you're the DIY crafty sort, a guy could compress and remove the spring (they make an inexpensive tool for that), and make or source a new bushing for that if you have a lathe or similar tool.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a total aside, but worth throwing out there when it comes to hinge issues:

Generally speaking I would advise people to NOT oil or lubricate Ram bushings, which some guys might (I'm not saying you did). Chrysler for the most part (unless your truck is different), has used for many years, a sort of braided wire impregnated with a graphite compound on a small metal bushing frame. The graphite/wire compound is highly compressed into the hinge bushing form. I've found out the hard way years ago that oiling the hinge bushings (like you'd do on the old bronze bushings) actually accelerates hinge bushing wear a lot. On an old Jeep, when I stopped lubricating the bushings, I never had to touch the door bushings again. My truck has 171k miles and the door hinge bushings are still tight, no free-play detected when I go to lift up on the back of the door.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I don't lubricate mine Thay creek real bad i use fluid film on mine and i quiets them down, are you sure the 5th gen have this type of material on the bushings.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I don't lubricate mine Thay creek real bad i use fluid film on mine and i quiets them down, are you sure the 5th gen have this type of material on the bushings.

Sorry, I was talking about "some/many' 4th gen and other Ram & Chrysler vehicles. 5th gen Rams look like they use a different type of hinge assembly. It's available as a complete assembly only. I don't see any replacable bushings (for 5th gens) on the Mopar website.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, do some investigating and determine if it *is* the roller or spring on the lower hinge. If the spring came out, you could find a replacement at a junk yard or ebay. Probably a hinge spring from any 80's vehicle and later would work. If the hinge itself was good ...and you wanted to go extremem DIY, a guy could re-bush the existing roller (with bronze), or buy a new one. But buying a new hinge (if that's your door's issue) would be the easieast.

This link below is for a GM, but they look to be the same as the Ram's. Door hinges have used a version of the 'spring-pressure roller' going back to at least the early 60's ..although sizes and designs may have varied slightly. But from the late 70's on, there hasn't been a lot of change. And the ram design is fundamentally the exact same as GM's of the late 70's and 80's. It's simple, cheap and effective. 5th Gens use a different strategy tho...