Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPF back exhaust on a 6.4 hemi?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by Millnoff, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Millnoff

Millnoff Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Looking to replace the ugly resonator and tailpipe on my 14' 6.4 gasser. Looks like a dpf back system for a cummins would be a real close fit. Have any of you tried it? Or what needs to be modified?

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse

2. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I dont think it'll fit. I recommend a Solo Delete kit from Solo Performance Exhaust.
    Nick @gotexhaust is who I bought mine from. Its a badass setup. It replaces the stock bus muffler. Sounds awesome!
    Then you can cut the resonator off and stub out the new tail section the way you want it to look.
    Nick is a preferred vendor here and a super cool guy that goes way above and beyond customer service.

Blue Mule

SilverFatBoy and tidefan1967 like this.
  3. Millnoff

Millnoff Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thanks, but not looking to get rid of the stock muffler. I want quiet still, but better looking at the exit. I'll just have a local shop weld something up if the dpf back wont work.

4. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Administrator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    I would agree with McBroom. I've owned both a 6.4L HEMI & a 6.7L CTD.

I looked at a diesel system and noticed that it wasn't going to fit without some new hangers and pipe mods at the back of the DPF SCR can.

What I did with my 6.4L to remove that ugly reso & tailpipe was to keep the stock pipe at the muffler, have a Magnaflow muffler installed, removed the reso & tailpipe, had a new full length tailpipe fabbed and the tailpipe was painted matte black to hide it.

Without a reso it droned a little bit. I had already planned to get a custom tune from Hemifever so I had him turn off MDS and the drone pretty much went away.

Here's a vid of how it sounded:

tidefan1967 likes this.
  5. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    A DPF back exhaust would eliminate the muffler. Banks Power makes one for the CTD version available that's 4". They also makes one for the EcoDiesel which is 3.5" which is should be your tailpipe size, either one should be adaptable.
    . You'll most likely have to cut whatever exhaust kit you buy down as they're intended to eliminate the muffler.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  6. Millnoff

Millnoff Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I really only need the section from just before the axle to the end of the pipe. That's why I figured a dpf kit, cut and fab the joint to fit the stock exhaust and should be good to go? But didnt know if anyone had done it or not? Guess I'll see what I can come up with?

7. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    you'll definitely have to do some cutting down. Take a look at the Banks exhaust install manuals, the CTD and EcoD are attached.

Attached Files:

8. Iron Outlaw

Iron Outlaw Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Id get a muffler shop to cut it out or just buy a full catback. You can get a borla for around $600 on sale but it definitely isn't quiet. Not as bad as the cheaper muffler delete but it screams pretty good at high rpms.

9. 1500ram12

1500ram12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    On my 2015 and my current 2018 6.4L I just cut the reso off and left a "axle dump" look. I think it looks cleaner. On my 15 I went with mufflex direct fit which is a 7" round magnaflow muffler with pre bent pipes. On my 18 I went with a borla xr-1 40086 Muffler and used 2 42 degree pipes to make the bend to the over axle part.

I have heard of people using a dpf back system to delete the reso but don't believe they said what was done to make it fit

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

10. ichime

ichime Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    If it's a DIY project, the junkyard would be your best friend. The 2010-12 diesel exhaust tips are easier to remove than the 2013+ thanks to the EPA