Dpf fed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Gotcha
My 20 mile regens are @ 70-80 mph and my 25 mile regens are @ 60-70 mph all while tripping on wide open freeways.
My 2016 Ecodiesel takes 9-15 miles @ 60-65 MPH on local freeways. Our SoCal freeways stack up like yours, 45 minutes to go 10 miles, being retired I don't drive at those times.

My DPF gauge has never moved. I monitor with an Edge CTS3. MY 2020 HO regens start at 100% and finish at 9%.
The Ecodiesel starts at 65-70% and ends at 9%.
View attachment 514985I

My 2018 6.7 used DEF fluid at the rate of about 2.5gal every 6k miles. My 2021 6.7HO uses that amount every 2K miles. Both empty, unloaded, not towing. Don't know if that has anything to do with my low regen times.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My 2018 6.7 used DEF fluid at the rate of about 2.5gal every 6k miles. My 2021 6.7HO uses that amount every 2K miles. Both empty, unloaded, not towing. Don't know if that has anything to do with my low regen times.
DEF usage has nothing to do with your regens.

Def is injected into the SCR when Nox levels reach a certain point. The SCR system is totally independent of the DPF system.

The DPF active regen process is triggered when the pressure (soot level) reaches a certain point. The DPF passive regen process is automatic when the DPF reaches 660 degrees. Iit is not monitored, but can be by monitoring the EGT3 sensor.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2020 tradesman that has 18000 miles on it in two years, my commute is 10 miles each way. I’ve tried to do what’s right but yesterday my ram decided to regen about the time I pulled into work to park. I ran inside dialed in to start my day, went back out to drive it and it now comes up and says dpf full in limp mode see dealer. Tried to look up how to manual regen and there is NOTHING in my manual about how to do it. Took it to dealership where I service and they tried and said it has to be replaced??? At 18000 miles? Getting real tired of this smog crap that does nothing but restrict my rams capabilities. Any suggestions? Plus they can’t get the part for like 2 to 3 weeks? Must be a huge issue. Never had this issue with my 17, 3500. Don’t see a need for def and dpf!

Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with this, please reach out! We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A forced regen is a function where the truck dumps extra fuel on the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF, It's nothing like just idling your truck. It has to be initiated by a dealer tool or something like AlfaOBD, the truck doesn't do it by just high idle
What I was told from my dealership that a forced regen can be initiated by setting at 1500rpms putting the engine brake on and let it run its course. When the dealership does it the computer initiates it. But the same principle happens.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What I was told from my dealership that a forced regen can be initiated by setting at 1500rpms putting the engine brake on and let it run its course. When the dealership does it the computer initiates it. But the same principle happens.
That doesn't force a regen....

A regen can only be initiated by either the dealer computer (or AlphaOBD), or when the engine computer determines that it needs to be done.

There is a "trick" to potentially get the truck to regen sooner, but it isn't guaranteed. However, in the OP's case of just driving 10 miles he isn't allowing the truck to ever reach operating temps anyhow.

OP - you can try this. It may, or may not, work for you.

Load the bed with something heavy. Try to get to ~500-700 lbs or tow a heavier trailer.
Get on the interstate, keep the truck in a gear that will allow the engine to maintain at least 2k rpms, and maintain 65 mph for at least 20-30 minutes.

If the truck needs to regen, it will likely happen during this time (although you may not know it).

This is a diesel truck. It is not meant to take short, empty trips. It is designed to be worked, so you're going to have to work it occasionally.

OP - your 2017 did in fact have DPF AND DEF...

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I work my truck all the time . It has a 100gallonAux tank in the bed and all my hitch equipment plus my storge box in the back. I tried what you said but it still remains 100 percent full found my problem it was the sensor.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

False, I'd find another dealer they don't know what they are talking about....

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2020 tradesman that has 18000 miles on it in two years, my commute is 10 miles each way. I’ve tried to do what’s right but yesterday my ram decided to regen about the time I pulled into work to park. I ran inside dialed in to start my day, went back out to drive it and it now comes up and says dpf full in limp mode see dealer. Tried to look up how to manual regen and there is NOTHING in my manual about how to do it. Took it to dealership where I service and they tried and said it has to be replaced??? At 18000 miles? Getting real tired of this smog crap that does nothing but restrict my rams capabilities. Any suggestions? Plus they can’t get the part for like 2 to 3 weeks? Must be a huge issue. Never had this issue with my 17, 3500. Don’t see a need for def and dpf!
Find someone that would do a ghost delete if you can find someone that is. The other alternative is buy some Max Mileage by Pittsburg Power it helps keep the DPF clean.