Drag Link Recall / ABS and traction light issues...my story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluecoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Have a 2017 2500 4x4, 6.4.

Drag Link Recall

In April, 2019 the dealer spot welded my drag link bar, advising a more permanent fix was being worked on. At that time I called FCA, they confirmed this and stated the warranty on the spot weld is 2 years from date it was welded....ain't that some S*%#!

Fast forward to last month... called my service rep who told me FCA originally approved the recall but are "kind of pulling back" on it, not sure why. I am sure cost and the number of vehicles involved has a lot to do with it. The rep confirmed they had one new (correct) drag link in stock. Told him I have some family members that will be driving the truck and was not comfortable with them in a vehicle having a welded drag link bar. Told him I will pay for the swap since he has the part in stock, and will sue FCA in small claims court, to me it was a slam dunk since my VIN # shows to eligible for replacement in the FCA database. I just asked him to talk to his boss to see if he can get me some kind of in house price break.

The next day the service manager called me up, he suggested before I go this route to make a claim with FCA stating word for word what I told the service rep, and to keep in mind the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Did that the next day and 48 hours later my claim was approved. Talked to a FCA supervisor and told them the dealer had the part in stock, she emailed me and the dealer giving authorization. Dropped my vehicle off at the dealer and they provided me with a free 2020 RAM 2500 loaner.

This is where the fun begins, FCA refused to now pay for the repair because the drag link in the dealers stock is a retail part and not a "good will" claim part. To make a long story short, after 18 days of numerous emails and phone calls by me and the dealer to FCA the drag link swap was completed.

FYI, to avoid this problem once your claim is approved do not take it in for repair until the dealer is in possession of a "good will" part directly tied to your claim.

ABS / Traction light issues

For the last 2months my ABS and traction lights randomly go on and off. If I am on the highway with cruise control on, it will disengage the cruise control. While this happens the message icon on the dash appears advising to SERVICE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM. This message will go away after warning lights turn off. Usually happens 2-3 times a week, then goes away.

When I took the truck in for the drag link I told the service rep about it. Told him I read a bunch of stuff on the all knowing internet about dirty sensors, faulty electrical lines, etc. He said that was a bunch of bunk, it is a faulty ABS control unit, a known problem with this year model. He then confirmed it there in the service bay with a scanner and getting code c0020-01. My truck is out of warranty but my extended warranty covered it. This is an expensive fix, however if you need it done you want a RAM dealership to do it. There is a 2 year warranty from RAM for this repair. FYI, even if the lights are not acting up the computer stores the codes as long as the codes are not cleared.

While these problems are no fun, I am still not ready to give up on the RAM. My last two trucks were Tundras, a 2006 and 2011. Both were completely trouble free right up to the day I traded them off, however, I just like driving the RAM better. I highly recommend anyone considering a RAM to budget the extended warranty into your purchase, FYI, the price is negotiable. Even if you buy low mileage used, have a RAM dealer inspect it and purchase THEIR warranty.

Hope this helps!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have two Gen 4 HD's. Both with the welded drag links. It kinda bugged me that this was they (FCA) fix the came up with for the issue, as well. But in the end it seems to be working, and I havent had any issues so far with the fix. So its out a sight outa mind for me on that whole thing.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
Yup, its a ****** fix for sure. My service advisor said when I bring the truck back he was going to have it fixed on Ram's dime. Needless to say that was BS.... Dropped off my truck and checked to see when it was going to be fixed. He told me one of Ram's inspectors was at the dealership looking at a transmission "warranty claim" and he looked at my truck. My wheel was pointing straight and truck rode well, "sorry there is no reason to replace the part, everything was normal". My service advisor told me to come back when the truck needs an allignment and wheel is not straight when I am driving..... Pissed me off

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yup, its a ****** fix for sure. My service advisor said when I bring the truck back he was going to have it fixed on Ram's dime. Needless to say that was BS.... Dropped off my truck and checked to see when it was going to be fixed. He told me one of Ram's inspectors was at the dealership looking at a transmission "warranty claim" and he looked at my truck. My wheel was pointing straight and truck rode well, "sorry there is no reason to replace the part, everything was normal". My service advisor told me to come back when the truck needs an allignment and wheel is not straight when I am driving..... Pissed me off

We can replace your drag link with the updated model at no cost to you. Feel free to send us a message with your VIN and dealer info to get started.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Michael M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L ****** Turbo-diesel
I am having the same problem with my ABS warning system. I had to do a hard brake when a guy pulled out in front of me and now the "Service ABS System" message comes and goes. It is most annoying and seems to be more prevalent when the outside temp is low. I put a scan tool on it and it didn't show any codes, but I guess a trip to the dealer is now in order.

If this is a known problem, why is FCA not taking care of it? Sounds like poor customer care.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am having the same problem with my ABS warning system. I had to do a hard brake when a guy pulled out in front of me and now the "Service ABS System" message comes and goes. It is most annoying and seems to be more prevalent when the outside temp is low. I put a scan tool on it and it didn't show any codes, but I guess a trip to the dealer is now in order.

If this is a known problem, why is FCA not taking care of it? Sounds like poor customer care.

If you end up going back to the dealership, feel free to let us know and we can escalate a case for you. A case manager will get involved and ensure the concerns are addressed.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

08taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you end up going back to the dealership, feel free to let us know and we can escalate a case for you. A case manager will get involved and ensure the concerns are addressed.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

2017 2500 power wagon with the same abs light issue. Message sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinois Hound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Same antilock brake issue on my 2017 2500. Had it to my dealer in October for the drag link recall and mentioned it to them but they couldn’t find anything because it didn’t set a code. It’s become more frequent now so will be taking it back.

711B75CE-7735-40B2-9681-AA8F8E2E84A7.jpeg

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 2018 3500 has been in the shop for over 2 months at this point, while they are trying to fix the issue with the ABS module. Stellantis "engineers" are participating in the "diagnosis", and they still haven't figured out how to fix it. They have replaced the ABS module twice, with no positive results. So they have ordered an ABS module from Canada hoping that a module from a different batch might have different results. They suspect that there might be a bad batch of modules. Fortunately, this is all being done under warranty, as I only have about 25k miles on the truck, and they are providing me with a free loaner truck. The RAM 1500 loaner however is not capable of towing my 20k lb fifth wheel. So the fifth wheel sits in the driveway all summer instead of Glacier NP or some other planned destination that has been postponed indefinitely. Oh, but @RamCares. :)