DragLink Recall-File a complaint with NHTSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's great that you did that, but for $138 (your cost, theirs is probably 50% of that) it's amazing FCA is fighting this as much as they are. It's doing great damage to their reputation in many folks eyes...and I'd suggest replacing some drag links for folks who ask for that to be done would be far less costly....but what do I know?

OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After I bought the synergy drag link and got reimbursed, I asked them specifically if this would clear the recall (I never took it in to be welded). They advised me that the minute I was approved for reimbursement, the recall was deleted. Just FYI

Well that's good to hear.

So now it looks like FCA approves of installation of aftermarket parts by a third party to fix their screwups.

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well that's good to hear.

So now it looks like FCA approves of installation of aftermarket parts by a third party to fix their screwups.
To be fair, they also have a replacement Mopar part that is about half the price. And they are apparently paying for the parts. At least they seem to be recently. It's not perfect and it's not how I would do it. There are people out there with welded nuts and being denied reimbursement. Synergy makes a great product and Ram paid for my replacement upgrade part so you won't hear me complain too much. My recommendation to anyone is to buy the synergy and submit a reimbursement claim. Worst case...they say no and you have an upgraded steering part. As much as we all spend upgrading our trucks it's a drop in the bucket. And it's an upgrade that gives noticeable improvement in steering feel plus peace of mind. But I agree, the way it's being handled needs fixed

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Done. Complaint filed last evening. They sent a reply that it was received. That's all we can do. Hopefully they will require FCA to do the right thing and replace our defective drag links

David Mell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have a question for bluederango, your truck is a 2016? Is that your truck in the photos or a 2019 on a dealer lot it looks new underneath.
I have called a few dealers in my area and given them your part# 68338342AB and they are telling me it won't fit my truck (2018 2500 6.4)
Looking on Moparpartsonline if you look up a draglink for a 2019 I can only find it in separate pieces not the whole assembly and its a lot more
money than what you paid. If you look up a 2018 you can find your part# for about what you paid but when I call my local dealers and give them
your part# they say it won't fit. I would be surprised if they changed the steering knuckle or pitman arm from 2018 to 2019. How did you determine
which part# to order for your truck. Thank you any help is greatly appreciated!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Have a question for bluederango, your truck is a 2016? Is that your truck in the photos or a 2019 on a dealer lot it looks new underneath.
I have called a few dealers in my area and given them your part# 68338342AB and they are telling me it won't fit my truck (2018 2500 6.4)
Looking on Moparpartsonline if you look up a draglink for a 2019 I can only find it in separate pieces not the whole assembly and its a lot more
money than what you paid. If you look up a 2018 you can find your part# for about what you paid but when I call my local dealers and give them
your part# they say it won't fit. I would be surprised if they changed the steering knuckle or pitman arm from 2018 to 2019. How did you determine
which part# to order for your truck. Thank you any help is greatly appreciated!

2019 is the redesigned 5th gen HD, so it could be different? 2014-2018 ram HD should all be the same. I believe 2014 ram HD is when the frame and chassis upgrades were done.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Alright, the latest from my end of the country..
I ordered the "New design" part from a RAM dealer.. Part number P68338342AB and 2 new nylock nuts..total cost was $138.00 including shipping.
I contacted FCA and filed a claim for reimbursement yesterday, they asked for and received a copy of the invoice and credit card receipt. They said I would have my check in about a week.
No argument or BS.. Just a simple transaction..
I installed the part in my truck, took about an unhurried hour.
I suggest that anyone trying to do this themselves buy's , begs, borrows a puller such as the one in the photo, makes the job a breeze .
Re-centering the steering wheel is easy and you will have to do it to get it perfect, I marked everything but it was a hair off and a simple turn of the adjuster nut centered it.
After reading several months of forum posts I decided to just fix it and forget, no real cost involved, just a little effort which I do enjoy doing,,View attachment 192736 View attachment 192736 View attachment 192737 View attachment 192737 View attachment 192740

Thanks for this Blue. Where did you get the torque specs for the end joints? What is it? Thanks.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I can assure you I didn't crawl under a truck at the dealer for photos, My posts have several photos of my truck posted over several years.. Power washer works great and I have an 07 2500 for serious off road work at the ranch. I don't trade my trucks in, I just pass them down.
The part number is correct as I am not the only one here that has used it. If you go to the dealers parts department the first thing they ask is "what's your vin number? ", that's the way their computers are set up. If you give them the Vin and the part number the computer will kick it, saying the part is not for that truck. But of course it does work and it does fit, it's just a redesign for the newer trucks, the rest of the front end hasn't changed.
Torque specs came from my head, 65#...

David Mell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Bluederango, I wasn't insinuating that was not your truck just impressed with how clean the undercarriage is, my compliments.
I understand what your saying about the parts dept. and vin#'s having dealt with that in the past. Also I came to realize that these different
parts dept's I was calling seemed to know nothing about this drag link recall which surprised me. Your 100% correct about the replacement
drag link part# I also have seen it mentioned on many posts and found documentation from Chrysler to support this, I will try to upload a
photo of it. I have to thank you though your the first person to be really clear about what the replacement is and show photo's of it. I was
able to locate one at a dealer about 45 min. from me that had one in stock, now to try and get reimbursed from Chrysler. Also if you read
the replacement procedure in the recall it says the torque specs are (Pitman arm end 27 ft.lbs. plus 180 degrees and steering knuckle end
44 ft.lbs. plus 105 degrees) I don't know why they can't just give you a final torque # it seemed to work fine in the past. Anyway thanks
again, the replacement drag link design seems to be a perfect solution and end to this issue. FullSizeR.jpg

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After I bought the synergy drag link and got reimbursed, I asked them specifically if this would clear the recall (I never took it in to be welded). They advised me that the minute I was approved for reimbursement, the recall was deleted. Just FYI

Where can you find the Form to submit to fca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963