Dreaded cold start lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
On my 2011 ram 1500 4x4 5.7, I have 159k. Since I have another daily driver this truck now sits, three months at a time.

I run redline 5w30 and a SRT filter. If I start it after three months of no start, it knocks like it's coming apart.

If I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for 15 to 20 seconds, it will circulate some oil and it does not knock on start.

So my remedy is hold gas pedal to floor, crank for 15 to 20 seconds, then let off the starter, then tip start as normal.

No knock or tick.

This works, it's free, and is built into the computer program for the hemi as a safe guard.

Just my .02

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
On my 2011 ram 1500 4x4 5.7, I have 159k. Since I have another daily driver this truck now sits, three months at a time.

I run redline 5w30 and a SRT filter. If I start it after three months of no start, it knocks like it's coming apart.

If I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for 15 to 20 seconds, it will circulate some oil and it does not knock on start.

So my remedy is hold gas pedal to floor, crank for 15 to 20 seconds, then let off the starter, then tip start as normal.

No knock or tick.

This works, it's free, and is built into the computer program for the hemi as a safe guard.

Just my .02

Way cool. Thanks for sharing.

How did you find out they put in pre-lube function @ WOT? Never heard of this before. Very useful if applies to all model variants with Hemi's.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Oil viscosity always decreases with increasing temperature (with no load). The only question is how FAST the viscosity decreases with temperature - this is what viscosity index tells you - it's just the slope of the viscosity vs. temperature curve.

Those are just the basics - when we discuss viscosity in highly loaded and highly shear machine elements, very strange things happen. I won't get into that here. You can see discussions elsewhere.

- Former Mobil Industrial Lubrication Engineer

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Way cool. Thanks for sharing.

How did you find out they put in pre-lube function @ WOT? Never heard of this before. Very useful if applies to all model variants with Hemi's.
I saw it on a you tube video. Then tried it with my ram. You can set your evic and see the oil pressure come up. It's used mostly with dry engine start up on replacement.. like 16.20 on the video

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I saw it on a you tube video. Then tried it with my ram. You can set your evic and see the oil pressure come up. It's used mostly with dry engine start up on replacement.. like 16.20 on the video

Thank you!

Sheeeeit.....you'd think they would publicize the snot outta this pre-lube feature to prevent failures?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anybody try the pre lube on newer rams?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Anybody try the pre lube on newer rams?

I can't remember to try it. If 2017 even qualifies as newer. It's previous gen already.

I'm lucky I can still remember where the can is instead of ******* down my pantleg.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can't remember to try it. If 2017 even qualifies as newer. It's previous gen already.

I'm lucky I can still remember where the can is instead of ******* down my pantleg.
Just went out and tried it on my 2017. Worked

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Keyless go so I had to stand on gas and brake at the same time. Took me a moment to realize that's why it didn't work first try. Cranks for longer than I expected.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keyless go so I had to stand on gas and brake at the same time. Took me a moment to realize that's why it didn't work first try. Cranks for longer than I expected.

This was going to be my next question! How it works without something to actually crank (i.e. no key to turn)