Dreaded lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If there is down pressure on the lifter in the bore, you can't build a cam that will survive it. Metallurgy on failed cams have shown the cam metal isnt the issue. It is a lubrication issue, this forum has proven by using extreme pressure additives, the additives that survive poor flow (in most situations), you can protect that cam better.

And hardness checks of cams from engines with a wiped cam. All were high hardness (from reports I've read, anyway).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
220/228 113+2 "Mark 82" (best seller). Great daily driver cam. Noticeable idle, but not rough. Makes great power from 2000-6800 rpm in both 5.7 and 6.4. Phaser limiter recommended. Converter not required in car or truck but would benefit from one. . Perfect camshaft for daily driver cars/trucks. Our demo 392 Challenger went 10.94 on E85 at 4000 lbs, 2300 ft DA, only other mods were 87mm TB, 1320 TC, longtubes, mids, Bogart drag pack, Hellcat CAI. (Same car went 11.60s on stock cam in 2600 ft DA as a baseline)
Thanks for this.

Bettywhiteram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Damn that sucks. What kind of oil and how frequent were the oil changes? I'm changing mine every 4 to 5k to try and hope this doesn't happen to me. I went the hemi route instead of another cummins because I thought my short drives would eventually lead to issues with the emissions on the cummins. I just assumed the gas would be fine, didn't start looking into any issues like lifter and cam until after I got my hemi.
4000-5000 all done at Dodge dealer. everything done on this truck a Dodge until now

jedslack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
once you get a misfire, your done.
I know this is older, but is there anything that can be done to extend the working life of the truck once the misfire from cam failure was detected?

I need this truck to last a year or so before Ill be able to replace the engine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know this is older, but is there anything that can be done to extend the working life of the truck once the misfire from cam failure was detected?

I need this truck to last a year or so before Ill be able to replace the engine.
I seriously doubt it if it is a worn cam. The two possibilities are opposing forces, you need the lifter to lift as smooth as possible and you would need a really thick oil so maybe you could have some fluid friction on the cam/lifter. But when you go that thick, it prevents the lifter from smooth operation. I'm not saying this will do it, but if something can satisfy both of those as in smooth lifter operation and possible fluid friction, it would be redline 5w30. If there was a second choice m1 0w40 and lubegard biotech. If it misfires on either of these, really all you got is some lucas stabilzer which is literally a last option, but you might be in this shape. Load is bad, I would stay as close to 2k rpm as possible and wouldnt haul anything and certainly wouldnt tow.

Now, are you sure it is worn cam causing misfire? You have misfure and rough idle or even really poor performance as in really noticable misfire?

jedslack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now, are you sure it is worn cam causing misfire? You have misfure and rough idle or even really poor performance as in really noticable misfire?
I have not pulled the valve cover, but I have swapped coils and plugs and the misfire didn’t travel. I have a slight hesitation accelerating up hills, and when I accelerate hard to 4.5k it will throw the CEL and go into limp mode.

238kmiles with regular dealer oil changes. Never towed. 90% highway miles. Single owner. I reached out to @RamCares and they are looking in to what they can do to help, as this is a known issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
dyi cam thread

Just maybe if you pop the lifter and put a new one could buy a little time if you have a bad needle bearing or the post is worn down. Sad to say other then that I don't see much hope, and if you make it a year I will be very impressed. I would never let that truck even sniff 4k rpm's either.,

jedslack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not saying this will do it, but if something can satisfy both of those as in smooth lifter operation and possible fluid friction, it would be redline 5w30.
Im game to try the redline 5w30. Im also gonna go with the SRT oil filter. Would you mind sharing a link to where I can get the oil?