Dreaded vibration!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve owned my 17 1500 hemi for a week now and it’s been in the shop 3 times. It came with aftermarket rims and tires but when I drove it, it vibrated crazy. They had no luck balancing the rims and tires so the dealer ordered me brand new stock 17’s and tires (265/70r17), Now instead of vibrating at 60 it starts at 75 mph. Only gets worse the faster I go. I travel the parkway (NJ) everyday so my speeds average 70 to 80. Has anyone experienced this bc I’ve read this is a known problem but I haven’t heard of a fix. What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has the balance of the wheels been checked?

Had 2015 with stock 17s - never an issue.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
It is not normal. I run 37s on 20x10 -24s at 90 mph, I don't have wobble. Dealer needs to sort this out for you.

OP
OP
IronCity

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure if the new stock set was checked but the previous set, Kmart specials couldn’t even be balanced since the center hub wasn’t even drilled to center. I’ll be putting in another call tomorrow first thing. This sucks and it’s annoying.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 17 with the SRAs had this problem. All 4 tires were out of round. I had them replaced with a set of Trailrunners. Much happier now, warranty covered them (Goodyear), but I had to replace with a set of Goodyears . I was not going with another SRA. Good luck

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2wd or 4wd ?

If a 4wd
Does the truck have a leveling kit installed ?
If you don't have 2.5"-3.5" of take then it may have leveling spacers above the coils up front ? On some trucks this causes the death wobble .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just a little south of you in West Creek. I've had the same thing for almost two years on the GSP. I hit 65 it starts shaking the center cup holders , seat, and floor but not the steering wheel. I even used the stock wheels when I went to 35-12.50-20's to try to avoid an issue like this . I have changed a few parts balanced them about 4 times which had no effect in the least . My 03 had a similar vibe but new CV shafts fixed that so I did that after the second balance . Good luck as not many have cured it from what I have seen

OP
OP
IronCity

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just a little south of you in West Creek. I've had the same thing for almost two years on the GSP. I hit 65 it starts shaking the center cup holders , seat, and floor but not the steering wheel. I even used the stock wheels when I went to 35-12.50-20's to try to avoid an issue like this . I have changed a few parts balanced them about 4 times which had no effect in the least . My 03 had a similar vibe but new CV shafts fixed that so I did that after the second balance . Good luck as not many have cured it from what I have seen

Ya read this is a very common issue. I’m afraid to upgrade my wheels and tires bc I hear the issue gets worse. Btw, I work in tuckerton, just down the street from u.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Working in Tuckerton thats cool. Tim at shore wheels seems to think he may be able to help with the vibe . I have to get down there and see one of these days . I used my stock wheels just to remove wheels from the equation but it went all to hell anyway. I just retired so I spend a lot more time below 65mph making its easier to forget about the vibe more often. Usually when I get on the Parkway I come home and go right to Car Gurus looking for a different truck again.

OP
OP
IronCity

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya, I’m def going to bring it to Timmy.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had shaking in my truck when it was factory. It was like someone before said where my center cup holders shook etc but it didn’t actually feel like it was through the steering wheel.

Had a lift installed and 35s on the factory OEM wheels and it’s gone. Not sure which part(s) solves the problem but it actually went away.

I’d be curious to know but I’m going to guess it was the tires/balancing???

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
FWIW, the presence or absence of vibration in the steering wheel is the key indicator of where the problem is. Vibration in the steering wheel means the problem is in the front wheel(s). No vibration in the steering wheel means the problem is in the rear (or in the drive shaft(s)). It is possible to have an out-of-round situation in a tire/wheel that "will balance out" on the wheel balancer, but will still shake the truck. In a case like that, it is often fixed by repositioning the tire on the wheel and then rebalancing.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, the presence or absence of vibration in the steering wheel is the key indicator of where the problem is. Vibration in the steering wheel means the problem is in the front wheel(s). No vibration in the steering wheel means the problem is in the rear (or in the drive shaft(s)). It is possible to have an out-of-round situation in a tire/wheel that "will balance out" on the wheel balancer, but will still shake the truck. In a case like that, it is often fixed by repositioning the tire on the wheel and then rebalancing.

I thought that was supposed to be one of the qualities of road force balancing to recommend that along with measure run out of the wheel. Been Road force balanced 3 times at 3 different places in my case and may be going to a 4th . I had no steering wheel vibe in my 03 and it ended up being CV shafts , so much for the have to be in the rear theory huh. knowing that I switched the CV shafts first and had no effect as did replacing two day old tires because RFB machine said two tires had hard spots . That too had no effect along with tire rotation.

Last edited:

Jake12213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’ve owned my 17 1500 hemi for a week now and it’s been in the shop 3 times. It came with aftermarket rims and tires but when I drove it, it vibrated crazy. They had no luck balancing the rims and tires so the dealer ordered me brand new stock 17’s and tires (265/70r17), Now instead of vibrating at 60 it starts at 75 mph. Only gets worse the faster I go. I travel the parkway (NJ) everyday so my speeds average 70 to 80. Has anyone experienced this bc I’ve read this is a known problem but I haven’t heard of a fix. What to do?

I have a 17 big horn with stock 20s. It’s honestly one of the smoothest riding trucks I’ve been in. Could it be a junk tire? I’d be up the dealers ass trying to get it fixed.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 big horn with stock 20s. It’s honestly one of the smoothest riding trucks I’ve been in. Could it be a junk tire? I’d be up the dealers ass trying to get it fixed.

When mine was stock it was not too bad but was far from the smoothest I have ever had plus a stock tire is also no comparison to a BFG KO2 35-12.50-20 10ply tire . 35-12.50-17 load range D is more sensible for a half ton truck . We have no use for a 10ply on a 1500 but sticking with a 20" wheel 35s are 10ply. Its my own fault I knew better but didn't sell the OE 20s like I have done a few times in the past

Jake12213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When mine was stock it was not too bad but was far from the smoothest I have ever had plus a stock tire is also no comparison to a BFG KO2 35-12.50-20 10ply tire . 35-12.50-17 load range D is more sensible for a half ton truck . We have no use for a 10ply on a 1500 but sticking with a 20" wheel 35s are 10ply. Its my own fault I knew better but didn't sell the OE 20s like I have done a few times in the past
I guess I may just be calling it the smoothest truck I’ve been in because before I bought mine I had a lowered 2013 camaro as that ride like a radio flyer wagon haha

Jake12213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also. I thank it you lifted your truck. Did you regear. I’m looking at doing the maxtrac 7 inch kit and 35s. What kinda fuel economy you getting?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't buy it lifted . Lifting has nothing to do with needing to regear plus the tires are barely over an inch taller just heaver and a little more rolling resistance . I run a tuner Diablo I3 Platinum also . When I was working it used to get about 17-20. Now its just used occasionally and only to transport a Kayak locally getting about 14-15.5. Now I see yours is also a 4x2 so this whole comparison is kind a useless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf