Dreaded vibration!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have almost 20,000kms on my SRA's and so far no problem. I can't for the time to change them when they wear out so I can put new skins on her. I must have lucked out with these, no vibration and no wobble at any speeds

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would think if FCA can't find the reason(s) for the vibration that this item may be of interest to them. watch

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If it has Goodyears on it tell them you want a different brand as they are notorious for being out of round and for GOD's sake tell them that you want them ROAD FORCE BALANCED and preferably by a reputable tire store like Discount Tire.

Gary2 is totally correct!!!
Replaced mine at 130 miles, 3 out of 4 Road force balanced at 28 - 35 pounds. Discount Tire warrantied them and I kicked it an extra $20 (plus 3 doz donuts, lol) for something really good.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In reality I bet they know what is causing this and it cost to much to fix so they play dumb and give us idiotic answers. They know most of us will find a way to deal with it even if it means get rid of the truck . What do they care they already made their money on us and thats what they are in the business for, we are nothing to FCA but history . Their is always another unsuspecting customer . :321:FCA

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In reality I bet they know what is causing this and it cost to much to fix so they play dumb and give us idiotic answers. They know most of us will find a way to deal with it even if it means get rid of the truck . What do they care they already made their money on us and thats what they are in the business for, we are nothing to FCA but history . Their is always another unsuspecting customer . :321:FCA

Sad but true.

I feel like a lot of the unexplained vibrations are coming from "better" materials like high strength steel that weighs X percent less. It might be stronger than "plain" steel but without mass (weight) behind it, it wont absorb vibrations, road surface variations, etc as well, leading to "unexplained" things going wrong with the truck.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see some 2019 changes that caught my eye which makes me ask why, like why 6 lugs now after a million years of 5 lug patterns on a Dodge/Ram half tons for one. Why do some trucks have some sort of a damper looking thing hanging from the frame. Have they fixed this vibe but can't really say so without fearing to much backlash , who knows . We probably never will know . I spend my days looking through Car guru and auto trader. I have a nice looking truck but I could of bought a picture for much less , I actually need to drive it above 55 some times.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see some 2019 changes that caught my eye which makes me ask why, like why 6 lugs now after a million years of 5 lug patterns on a Dodge/Ram half tons for one. Why do some trucks have some sort of a damper looking thing hanging from the frame. Have they fixed this vibe but can't really say so without fearing to much backlash , who knows . We probably never will know . I spend my days looking through Car guru and auto trader. I have a nice looking truck but I could of bought a picture for much less , I actually need to drive it above 55 some times.

6 lugs vs 5 - i noticed that on my 2017 RAM. My 2001 Frontier had 6 lug wheels, yet the RAM only has 5. But if you look closer, the 5 on the RAM wheels are MUCH beefier than the 6 on my Frontiers. So Im guessing its a wash (or at least close enough). Not sure about the lug stud sizing on the 2019

Damper things - my truck has them. Supposedly to absorb MDS vibrations. The 5th gen has active motors in place of the heavy bell weights on the 4th gen. Im guessing they send out the exact opposite wavelength when necessary, cancelling out the vibrations. Interesting to note some people have complained the active dampening creates a buffeting noise/feeling, even making some people nauseous.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had 6 lug on all of my GM and Toyota Trucks which is what I drove for 30 years and a few 5 lug Fords thrown in. Only the last 17 have been Rams and that only started because they were the last half ton with straight axle and I kind of liked the 360 magnum with 4.10s. If I could find a mint 05 Power Wagon I would have it. 6 lugs are common but not on a 1500 Ram just makes me wonder why switch now.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
watch
watch
watch
watch. Not a legit reason in the world that FCA dealer should not be able to fix our vibrations . I guess some manufactures give a crap and some don't

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree. My ‘15 annoys the crap out of me. Getting tired of chasing my tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I am lucky it will be a thing of the past tomorrow. I didn't get a chance to go today as planned but I will be going to check out a used Power Wagon . If all goes well thats the last ride in the vibrating 1500. Sad to accept defeat but I have thrown away enough money on this with zero improvement.

qman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
ram has issues with there rubber bushings. (made in mexico) the rear upper and lower control arms have rubber bushings that tend to break down and soften up. this will cause your rear axle to slightly go out of alignment while driving and could cause a nasty vibration threw the entire truck. you need to check your rear axle to make sure it is square with the frame of the truck. if its not square get yourself adjustable control arms with stronger bushings to stiffen the rear axle up.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did that . I had adjustable rear control arms thinking I may be able to adjust pinion angle to get ride of it.. Isn't to many common train of thought ideas I have not tried. I have $500.00 worth of adjustable control arms sitting in a box in the corner of the garage from that experiment

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I am lucky it will be a thing of the past tomorrow. I didn't get a chance to go today as planned but I will be going to check out a used Power Wagon . If all goes well thats the last ride in the vibrating 1500. Sad to accept defeat but I have thrown away enough money on this with zero improvement.

So did you get rid of it?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Power Wagon I went to look at last Thursday was out for service they said . I have been since been told they are waiting for a part that needed to be ordered. So in reality I have only looked at a lot of pictures and I have the build sheet . It looks to be fine but naturally seeing is believing . They said they will call me and I get first dibs when it comes back. Its a low mileage 3rd gen with every imaginable option which is exactly what I want. I would think any day now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Power Wagon I went to look at last Thursday was out for service they said . I have been since been told they are waiting for a part that needed to be ordered. So in reality I have only looked at a lot of pictures and I have the build sheet . It looks to be fine but naturally seeing is believing . They said they will call me and I get first dibs when it comes back. Its a low mileage 3rd gen with every imaginable option which is exactly what I want. I would think any day now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ok sounds good

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think this Power Wagon is part Unicorn . Its been away from the dealer 2.5 weeks for a new fuse box also known as a TIPM. Sounds like the part going bad is not all that uncommon for this brand vehicle.Now my ignition switch is acting up the last couple days . It wont let my key Fobik come out of dash by not letting it go completely to off. I now am also considering a Raptor .

EDIT: 10-16-2018 Power Wagon turned out to be a combo rust bucket / pile of undercoating to cover up . Just a big mess . Was a nice 07 truck one day. spent to much time in upstate NY

Last edited:

Tom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn I finally found someone who was able to fix their vibe and it was a dealer that took the time to look instead of blame ..showthread.php

Wow that sounds exactly like my issue. Thanks for sharing that.