Dreaded vibration!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was a service writer at a national brand auto repair/tire shop. You can diagnose almost any vibration very simply.

If the vibration occurs within a certain speed range (for example, starts vibrating at 55 mph and stops at 70) it is most likely a balance issue, either in the tire or the wheel.

If the vibration is consistently present and increases frequency with speed, it is most likely a tire out of round. It could also be a loose or missing lug nut.

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, it is a problem in the front tires/wheels, if you feel it in your seat, it is with the rear tires/wheels.

I think most of these vibration issues are tires most of the time.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think most all of us who have been having this issue understand what you are saying and many have been through many sets of tires and wheels and balanced and rebalanced, dynamic, high speed to Road Hunter force balancing with smart balancing turned on and off over and over again . As simple as you want to make it sound many of these issues are far beyond a tire issue. Do a little searching and see what some of us have been through to trying to find a cure. Read some of the threads that are linked to in this thread alone . Do you really think Ram would be buying back new trucks if a new set of tires or wheels would cure it , I don't think so either. You have a little catching up on the vibration issues of today's vehicles and what we and the service writers of today are dealing with. When you have two or three different vibrating objects it can easily sound and act like its one issue when you have two and the harmonics make it sound like something else like a tire vibe just because of the frequency you feel it at. A lot of rotating parts on most any of the late model half ton 4x4s these days and I guess thats why all brands seem to have similar issues . CV shaft is in the front end and when I had one go bad the seat ,floor ,console all vibrated, steering wheel never had a quiver in my 03. A lot of what we used to know about finding vibrations don't help a lot in todays 1500's . My present truck didn't do it til about 40,000 miles so you may still get some more experience with this BS as their is no set time as for when it just may start. Some start on day one so ya just never know when you may get lucky and you too can try your luck at this horse ****

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, I didn't mean to minimize people's problems. I wasn't saying that there are only problems with tires. Even these suspension issues can be narrowed down by carefully noting when the vibration occurs and where it is felt.

Lots of problems can cause vibration, from bad rotors to a poor alignment to serious suspension issues. I have read these threads often and I wonder how many trucks exhibit other symptoms.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had same vibration issues,had roadforce done by 2 diff tire shops..still had vibration..took it to dealer who said they upgraded their roadforce balancer...had shop foreman do it ,he removed 2oz of weights ...vibration gone .. cooper h/t plus tires

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I even resorted to the Dealer to road force balance mine the last time figuring they would have the correct collet the TSB a while back mentioned . They said rt front tire was 3oz of. Had 0 effect , dealer blamed the vibration on what he called " the tires have a real aggressive tread that created the vibration I was feeling" . First time I have ever heard any one call a BFG AT tread aggressive and I have had them on my daily drivers since BFG came out with them around 1977. I then asked why I never felt this on my 2012 Jeep JK with the same 35" tire just in 17" instead of a 20. I got the dear in the headlights look as he knew a soccer mom answer was not going to fly. 2966, you got lucky . Thursday I have an appointment with a local shop so he can give it his best attempt on his new Hunter RF balance. Maybe 5 times is the charm

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After about a year and a half of dealing with this vibe I have finally done something that had an effect on it . I went from 42 psi to 48 just because I remembered reading a thread where BFG recommended 55psi in this tire on a Ram 1500. I noticed at lower pressure I would get kind of a slight shaking effect at lower speeds on a rough road kind of like how jello jiggles. I went to 42 psi and that removed that effect. I got to thinking about what BFG said so for the hell of it I went 48psi in the front and 44 in the rear. Later that day I had the truck on a road that made this thing vibrate terribly. Got up to 67 and noticed a slight vibe , went to 72-3 no vibe . I am new to the 20 wheel thing as I have sold every stock 20" set that came on previous Rams and used 17s for the taller sidewall. So I really have no experience with these wheels let alone 10ply E rated tires combined. I never thought air pressure could do this. I have run like 24-26 in my 35s on my wranglers with never an issue and 35 on previous Rams. I was just trying to get a better ride with these tires by running 39-36 in them but I became my worst enemy by doing so. I thought this high of air on a light reg cab short bed would make the truck ride like in was mounted on rocks instead of rubber but it don't. I guess the 5100s are better matched to these tires/truck than the little OE tires were to the oe shocks. At 39 the OE tires and shocks felt terrible when I bought the truck so I figured the 10PLY BFGs would to . I guess I should of stuck to my usual plan and sold the 20s right from the get go. So long story short air is the only thing that has had any effect . Sucks knowing how much I have spent trying to find something just to give me an idea as to what is doing this , shame being air is free......

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO MORE VIBES. No more BFG KO2 E rated heavy ass tires either . I went with a NITTO terra grappler. KO2 was 34.5 Nitto is 34.09 tall and maybe an inch narrower . It is roughly 20lbs per tire lighter and it is rated as an SL rating which is equal to the OE tires. Rides much better not a single vibe

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NO MORE VIBES. No more BFG KO2 E rated heavy ass tires either . I went with a NITTO terra grappler. KO2 was 34.5 Nitto is 34.09 tall and maybe an inch narrower . It is roughly 20lbs per tire lighter and it is rated as an SL rating which is equal to the OE tires. Rides much better not a single vibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thats good gary2 problem vibe solved by tires...plus 80lbs less rotating mass