Dreaded Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I did search , I did a tire rotation at 7k and now I have the dreaded tire vibration between 60 /70 MPH they are going to road force balance them today.
Should I just put them back to original position ?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Ask them to use a pin plate to mount the wheel on the balancer versus the cones. Pin plates center the wheel on the stud holes versus the center bore of the wheel. Those two circles might be concentric.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Well I did search , I did a tire rotation at 7k and now I have the dreaded tire vibration between 60 /70 MPH they are going to road force balance them today.
7k is enough to cause some “cupping” sometimes it will not balance till you wear it down some. If the cupping is severe, then it will wear close to even in 800-1200 miles.
Or it got balanced with a rock in the tread. ( happened to me)
Or you tore of a “lug” (chunk of tire)
I have experienced all 3.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
anyone have a good contact at Chrysler to put this into ?
I just called whatever number google gave me. Explained to them the situation. They were cool about it. I have 12k miles on mine and its on tire set 3. keep in mind the good years are junk. I bet thats your problem and doubt the wheels are bent.mjust from my experience. good luck

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
anyone have a good contact at Chrysler to put this into ?

Hi @Sunnysideup - Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support in addressing the concerns that you are experiencing. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you Ram Cares , I will reach out to them as well. Really like the truck but cant put my wife and kids in it with the front end shaking like it is

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Mabey you have some juice but I have gotten blown off by two dealers , care team and good year

I certainly understand your frustration. Please follow up with me via private message to provide your VIN so I can look into this further for you!

Mark
RamCares

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bent rims and you didnt ask to see or they didnt offer to show you? i dont even know what to say

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sent PM , I did get ahold of Goodyear and they gave me a claim # and were very helpful. I really am disappointing in Dodge right now.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I wouldn’t be so quick to throw the disappoint around.

Look at it from FCA’s perspective first. They built this truck with the intention of it getting beat around, and bending a rim is on the might happen list that isn’t warranted. For arguments sake, let’s set this aside for now.

What shop told you your rims were bent? Are these the ones that came off the front or the rear? Did they show you the bend? Did you ask to have them show you? Take it to another shop for their opinion.

If shop #2 says the rims are bent have them show you and get out a tape measure and take measurements across the middle of the supposed bent rims in multiple spots.

I’ll venture a guess that your rims are in fact NOT bent. Bent rims don’t hold air well and any tire tech worth their wouldn’t balance them.

You’ve said nothing about alignment or getting it checked and adjusted. Are we to assume this has been checked and adjusted as needed? Check this more frequently especially if you use the truck as intended to keep its on-road manners in check.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When my '16 finally had one of the OEM GYs blow mid-treadline at 15k miles and many assorted versions of vibrations prior, I got the best response from an independent GY shop. They contacted GY, got payoff toward replacement.

That's where I learned details of the stock tires: mass produced to manufacturer specs and usually out of a dedicated run or factory. It's not that the GoodYear SRA tires are a bad tire, but the loose specs they produce OEM tires under are crap and allow a huge variance on the tire QC. Blame manufacturer (Ram in this case) and GoodYear for accepting the bid/job. If you were to buy replacement GY SRAs (non OEM produced), they're actually a good to better than average wear tire.

Think back to the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco for how bad OEM specs can lead to ridiculous product release. It's a major pathway for how good original engineering gets cheapened to a point for overly aggressive bottom line priority. All manufacturers have different levels of it. (As a Product Manager, I can tell you it's the cancer of product development and QC.)

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
I like the no glam former forged pw rims. Regarding tires,Toyo's have never given me a problem balancing. Minimal weight if any.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
they said 2 of the rims are bent
Really?? Does not sound right. That would have shown up on the machine when they try to balance it for the rotation.
This does not seem to be PW issue and you would have more support from all 5th gen owners if you posted it here. https://www.ramforum.com/forums/5th-gen-2019-present.179/

W
e have bent some rims rock crawling in the rocks. And I have seen a buddy hit a pot hole and bend a rim. But never 2 at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry guys been out of pocket at work , I agree that is would be unlikely that the rims are bent. They did not show me I picked the truck up and noticed the vibration on the way home.

The tire manufacture gave me a claim number and told me to take it to a particular shop they deal with in Nevada. They actually were helpful once I got to the right person.

Should know more some time this week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn