Drive belt for electronic power assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin petro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan to be driving my truck on the desert every weekend. In the Sand, the vehicles often get stuck with the wheels buried deep in the sand. A friend of mine has an f150 with an electronic power assist steering and had gone through three steering racks before finding that what was failing was the drive belt in the steering rack. So I think he said he bought 10 of these drive belts because they fail really easy in the desert.

So my question is, does anyone know where to buy these drive belts for the Ram 1500 for the electronic power assist? I'd like to get a couple in case it can save be a few thousand dollar bill for replacing the entire steering rack.

OP
OP
Kevin petro

Kevin petro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, it seems my request is already disappearing into the abyss of unanswered posts, so maybe someone can point me to someone who knows how to order special parts for a Ram.

I need a subcomponent of the steering rack, while it seems you usually have to buy the whole steering rack. Can someone point me to a person or website that sells all parts for the Ram?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is news to me. I know I few people running 40s and hardcore off-roading and as far as I know no broken steering yet. The ram setups are actually pretty well put together in my opinion. I’ve heard of a few getting dead spots in the steering. Curious if it’s the belt getting worn or the actual electric motor getting a dead spot on the brushes.

OP
OP
Kevin petro

Kevin petro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Steering-Seals-Electronic-Drive/dp/B07NDS1HGG

https://powersteeringseals.com/prod...13-2016-electronic-power-steering-drive-belt/

Just did a quick google search and came up with this one. This is the first time I have heard of someone replacing just the belt.

I think this is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

In not sure if this will be a problem yet, I know it is for f150s on thier power assist system. 54$ for a belt is << 2000$ for a new rack. Add on top of that that I don't think they keep replacement parts in stock in the UAE. I think they order them from the US when you need a replacement.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think this is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

In not sure if this will be a problem yet, I know it is for f150s on thier power assist system. 54$ for a belt is << 2000$ for a new rack. Add on top of that that I don't think they keep replacement parts in stock in the UAE. I think they order them from the US when you need a replacement.
Did the belt did your problem? What were the symptoms? My steering wheel seems like it has a little play when I turn it slightly left or right.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My steering wheel seems like it has a little play when I turn it slightly left or right.
That sounds like worn front end components not a failed steering rack. Need to check all the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie-rod ends

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like worn front end components not a failed steering rack. Need to check all the ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie-rod ends
I do agree but I did take it to a shop and they said its the rack. I want to think that they checked all of the front end components but you never know. Also, the inner tie rods are inside the boots on each end of the rack but I would think its possible one of those may have slop. They are replaceable too. I just want to be double sure they are correct since this is an expensive repair. I have to say that based on how it feels it does make me wonder if a bad belt would cause what feels like slop when wiggleing the wheel left and right. If the 'teeth' on the belt are warn it seems like it could feel like mechanical slop. The electric motor does change direction in there.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have to say that based on how it feels it does make me wonder if a bad belt would cause what feels like slop when wiggleing the wheel left and right. If the 'teeth' on the belt are warn it seems like it could feel like mechanical slop. The electric motor does change direction in there.
The steering rack is all mechanical connected to the front wheels, any slop in the steering can be found. If the electric motor wasn't doing it's jobs, the power steering would feel heavy or intermittent.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The steering rack is all mechanical connected to the front wheels, any slop in the steering can be found. If the electric motor wasn't doing it's jobs, the power steering would feel heavy or intermittent.
Could be. I did get under there yesterday and the noise that sounds like slop is indeed coming out of the rack. It's most prominent right where the shaft comes out of the rack on the right side of the truck. Coincidence or not, this is right where the gears and drive belt are.