Drive train clunk/pop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Been awhile since I have been on you know been busy, hopefully everyone is doing well.

Got a question on my 2016 5.7 8sp.
It started yesterday making a clunk or a popping noise if you will , what sounds like a real bad u joint.
It does this only with the rear tires on the ground and right after you take off from a stop or right after you lift off the throttle and then step back into it at any speed.
All the u joints are tight and I have checked all the bolts holding the rear axle in place , also check the brake calipers and they are tight and the noise is not coming from them either.
So my problem is I can’t figure out and pin point where the noise is coming from but to just say from under the truck. Lol

I had the wife move the truck while I was under the truck and still can’t locate it as it seems to kinda echo under there, but I put my hand on the rear diff and could not feel it as well as the transfer case.
Now with the back tires off the ground and the truck in park you can spin the back tire and the drive shaft will rotate some at the T case so the T case has play in it I guess you would say but I don’t know if some movement is normal here?

Anyway hoping someone has had a similar noise .

Thanks for any help, truck has 50k on it and I changed the T case fluid around 30 with Redline.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
does the truck have a mid-shaft bearing?

JL724877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 5.7 Laramie 4x4 and I have a similar noise. In my truck it only does it when I let off the accelerator around 20-30mph let it coast for a second or two then hit accelerator again. Definitely sounds and feels like it’s coming from rear differential. Took it to dealer and trans/differential shop nobody could figure it out. I have had this issue since the truck was brand new and it has 78k miles now. If I am careful how I drive I can pretty much avoid the issue from occurring. It must be something in the rear differential probably the yoke but I don’t know much about the internals to figure out on my own. I have inspected the u joints and they seem to be tight with no play.

Ralph Crume

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had a noise like that for 2 years. every time i let up on throttle. Turned out to be the lower control arms on the front axle

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been awhile since I have been on you know been busy, hopefully everyone is doing well.

Got a question on my 2016 5.7 8sp.
It started yesterday making a clunk or a popping noise if you will , what sounds like a real bad u joint.
It does this only with the rear tires on the ground and right after you take off from a stop or right after you lift off the throttle and then step back into it at any speed.
All the u joints are tight and I have checked all the bolts holding the rear axle in place , also check the brake calipers and they are tight and the noise is not coming from them either.
So my problem is I can’t figure out and pin point where the noise is coming from but to just say from under the truck. Lol

I had the wife move the truck while I was under the truck and still can’t locate it as it seems to kinda echo under there, but I put my hand on the rear diff and could not feel it as well as the transfer case.
Now with the back tires off the ground and the truck in park you can spin the back tire and the drive shaft will rotate some at the T case so the T case has play in it I guess you would say but I don’t know if some movement is normal here?

Anyway hoping someone has had a similar noise .

Thanks for any help, truck has 50k on it and I changed the T case fluid around 30 with Redline.
You ever figure it out?
I have similar problem, when I accelerate or brake hard I hear a pop type noise, sometimes I can almost feel in my feet, something moving up but in the middle of the moving up something pops.
And when I brake its just random sometiems it will be multiple pops or just one.

OP
OP
69GWC

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You ever figure it out?
I have similar problem, when I accelerate or brake hard I hear a pop type noise, sometimes I can almost feel in my feet, something moving up but in the middle of the moving up something pops.
And when I brake its just random sometiems it will be multiple pops or just one.
Nope it’s stopped doing it, just have no clue and since traded it in on a Power Wagon