Driver air bag eliminate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Del Hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to the forum so im not sure im in the right spot to post this or not. I have a 2012 1500 Tradesman. And I know its not a big deal or special by any means but hey its paid off and I traded the wife 2015 Tahoe for it straight up and a 2013 Grand Caravan for it from a dealership the day she singed the title. That aside I've been doing slight upgrades to it here and there and have a stupid question. I'm not a fan of air bags and was wondering if there is a way to remove the air bag from its housing and still retain the center part or if there is somewhere I can get a replacement unit that still looks like a factory steering wheel insert but just does not have the air bag in it? And I want to keep the factory steering wheel since one of the upgrades is steering wheel controls for radio. I purchased all the parts to go from a plain base model wheel and generic radio to the head unit with everything but navigation. And I've had the dealership already unlock the rpo codes in my computer for the radio, trailer brake module and tpms. I've done a few of these upgrades on my 2011 but never dug into the steering wheel or air bag. And the reason behind why I'm doing this is because my son who will be learning to drive in this truck has cochlear implants. For those that do not know they are hearing aids under the skin that they have to drill into his skull and place wiring inside his head, and also run implants under the skin that are held in place by drilling holes just deep enough into the skull so they stay in place so they dont slide around under the skin. So if the air bag deploys and hits his head where the implant is it can drive the part into his brain and potentially kill him on the wortse case scenario. Im eventually going to remove all the air bags in this truck and have access to get the dash light shut off so I dont have to see it daily. But my OCD will drive me nuts with no center to my wheel or an aftermarket steering wheel, hence why all my upgrades to the truck are pointless to many but to me the couple extra bucks to make it all appear OEM is a must. I thank any of you for any insight or help in this matter. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the center piece out, disconnect the wire and put it back. But you still have passenger side and side air bags to deal with. I'm not sure if they are all on the same fuse. And you'll probably end up with a CEL and maybe more. I'm not sure if they are tied into any other systems as a safety measure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Del Hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the fast reply, but im trying to eliminate the air bag completely. Dont want an accidental detonation. Small chance of it happening, but im a firm believer in "**** Happens". I know how to eliminate all the other air bags without being noticed its just doing it to the steering wheel and retaining the stock appearance Im having difficulties with. Thank you again for the reply.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
So if the air bag deploys and hits his head where the implant is it can drive the part into his brain and potentially kill him on the wortse case scenario.
Rest assured that even if your son was shoulder checking the airbag is not capable of the damage you fear.

The same adjustment made to the side and front airbags in your RAM to keep deployment safe for people with glasses makes it safe for cochlear implants.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Here is a video of the side and front bags deploying in real time and slow motion from a few angles. You can see the bags won't drive the implant into your son, and how the side bag would keep him from smashing the implant on the hard side window if his head was at a worst case angle.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Better to leave them be . He may not survive at all with out them . What’s next ? No seat belt ? How do you think your auto , health insurance feel about your plans?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about get him a 78 Trans Am and you keep the truck?

My concern would be (1) *potentially* opening myself (and family) up to (again Potential) to legal repercussions should someone else get behind the wheel and the airbags not deploying. The system does a self-check after the vehicle is started. I don't remember how it works nowadays, if the other airbag system determine's there's a fault, I *think* the other airbags would deploy, but I don't know for sure.

And (2) an owner willfully tampering with a factory safety device could be financially ruinous in the court of law. I know that's probably a 1,000:1 chance of happening, but I know a number of guys in the last couple years who were in terrible accidents and were saved by the SRS. And one of the guy's was broadsided by a new driver too. But I read about your son's needs too. That's an odd circumstance.

And (3), I would think if your son got into an accident w/o airbags, he'd be much more inclined to suffer a sharper head impact (windshield? ..A-pillar, steering wheel?) than if cushioned by an airbag.

Yeah, IDK. Ask him what kind of vehicle he wants to drive? Go from there. Maybe start a father-son Mustang restoration project. I've noticed when kids get involved in their car project (emotionally/physically (work) and financially) they tend to not wreck it and be pretty careful drivers ..most of the time.

One has to think the chances of the airbag system saving his life are a lot greater than killing him. Supposedly airbags of the last many yrs deploy at a various rates depending on the anticipated severity of a collision.

Best of luck ...our daughter was a new driver not that long ago. It raises a whole new level of parental concerns...

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
What’s next ?

It's not an uncommon question, and even doctors get confused.

I often see/hear doctors recommending air bags be disabled after a pacemaker, implantable defibrillator, median sternotomy, mastectomy, facial reconstruction, etc. and writing notes to have them disconnected. Testing has shown it improves outcomes over seat belt alone where force is more sever and less localized, so the NHTSA, the AMA, and other similar organizations have recommended they remain in place and active for almost 30 years.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
OMG I know crap happens so I'm shocked to read this, no way in heck would I take air bags out or turn them off.. I know that the many air bags in my kids 2015 Journey saved her life and she was only doing 45 MPH at the time of the accident, even though she received a mild brain injury without the air the many bags she would of had severe brain injury aka a vegetable...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Del Hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your input and advise. I will discuss it with him further in the future when the time comes. But regardless it will be his decision. Ive seen pros and cons to air bags. Ive seen them save lives and take them. We lost my dads friend in a 15 Ram BigHorn from the airbag. So I know from experience the Ram SRS is a very advanced system and works great. But there is a chance of it doing harm. As far as insurance goes as long as I make a visible label stating there are no airbags in the vehicle on all entry points im in the clear. Some may not agree with the decision, but until you have a disabled child please keep rude remarks to yourself. I have no problem with constructive critism or even questions. But ive done the research as well. Air bags save lives in most cases but not in all. Thank you all for your input and have a great day.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IDK if it came up before, but take a look at your (his) driving environment too. For example, I live in a rural environment. Hitting a deer is a real danger, where airbags don't usually deploy. Less so hitting another car. If most of your (his) driving is during the day in areas of good visibility and you teach (and stress) defensive and carefull driving, that will go a long way to staying safe. Absolutly no texting, buddies, drinking, less driving at night as possible, etc. All the things that put young people at high risk (there's no secret what those are). Show him some videos of car accidents.

I went through with our daughter when she got her license, all the high risk things that kill/maim young people. There were two kids in her high school who were killed. Honestly, as tragic as it was, they were both goofing off and doing typical high-risk young-kid things. We went through the don't do's. Saw some badly wrecked cars at the junk yard and on youtube. Kind of scared her straight. I stressed it wasn't to punish her but to make her aware of the dangers and how to 'best' avoid high risk situations. She's a lot more defensive of a driver than I think she would otherwise have been.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Made a career of working in the emergency room and can tell you air bags save lives. The type of injury your describing is not realistic. My best advice would be to talk to the surgeon who put the implants in.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would think hitting the steering wheel would break more bones than a air bag. Just try to have him drive with seat as far back as possible. A air bag is supposed to inflate fully and be deflating when you hit it.