Driver side stub shaft loose in Diff.

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys need some help here on next steps. 2017 1500 4x4 crew cab. Been chasing a front end vibration at 65. Been through 2sets of tires countless balances and have now moved on to the CV axles. The driver side has slop so I figured it was the stub shaft and CV. I swapped those today and to my surprise the slop is actually the stub shaft in the diff. Is there a bearing on the inside that could be an issue?
I only have 34k on the truck so possibly covered under warranty but I’m concerned my bilstein 6112’s set at + .75” may be an excuse for them to not honor warranty.
What are my options here? Passenger side is way tighter but I also have new cv axle and stub kit ready to go as it still could be the passenger side causing the vibration.

Attachments

• 96072111-FA62-414C-9A54-0A893AC0730B.jpeg
    96072111-FA62-414C-9A54-0A893AC0730B.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2E89E320-62EE-447C-8003-83C4A26E06BD.jpeg
    2E89E320-62EE-447C-8003-83C4A26E06BD.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 18

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dont quote me but i think the slop may be normal. my tacoma is the same way and has been for as long as i can remember. never has leaked or vibrated so thats how i know its normal. i havent investigated why its like that but i think its just the cv design and not slop of the splines.
i noticed your after market shafts. typically those arent very good qaulity. good luck

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If by slop you mean you can move the inner joint up and down a bit when the CV axle is installed, that’s normal. Both sides will have a little bit of movement.

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. By loose I mean the shaft it’s self will go up/down side to side. The driver side is 2-3 times looser than the passenger side. It probably wouldn’t have even been noticed if I haven’t been chasing a front end vibration for the past 8 months.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently replaced both CV axles and rhe drivers stub shaft at 75k, I noticed the same thing you did with the stub shaft play in the diff. I had originally thought it was because I went aftermarket but maybe it's normal?

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently replaced both CV axles and rhe drivers stub shaft at 75k, I noticed the same thing you did with the stub shaft play in the diff. I had originally thought it was because I went aftermarket but maybe it's normal?
It may be "normal" but not correct. I just can't get rid of my front end shake and can't find anything else loose or out of sorts to investigate further and I don't want to just throw money at it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do you wheels have weights on both the inside and outside? I’ve seen a lot of shops will try to get away with just doing a static balance instead of a dynamic balance.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i see no possible way any part of those factory cv axles are worn. unless youve beat the tar out of it every day. the truck is barely 5yo with just 34k. sorry but something isnt adding up. like some of us already told you, some movement will be there. my tacoma has same movement at the inner cv joint going into the diff. perfect normal by design. im not exactly sure why but thats just how it is.

if you have modified the suspension. perhaps its damaged your cv or is causing them to be at a strange angle.
in all honesty i wouldnt be suprised if its your tires.

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i see no possible way any part of those factory cv axles are worn. unless youve beat the tar out of it every day. the truck is barely 5yo with just 34k. sorry but something isnt adding up. like some of us already told you, some movement will be there. my tacoma has same movement at the inner cv joint going into the diff. perfect normal by design. im not exactly sure why but thats just how it is.

if you have modified the suspension. perhaps its damaged your cv or is causing them to be at a strange angle.
in all honesty i wouldnt be suprised if its your tires.
Jerry,

Truck is not beaten on at all. It isn't the tires. As I noted in my original post that I'm now on the 3rd set of tires and countless balances. When I go under the truck the passenger side CV is nice and tight. The driver side has several mm's of up down/ side to side movement and it is the stub moving in the differential NOT the CV on the stub shaft. CV and stub have been replaced with no change.