Drivers Seat Bottom Interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My 96 Ram had developed about a 6" tear on the bottom drivers seat cushion. The foam below it had also split all the way down to the frame, and the foam was starting to deteriorate, so fixing the lower cushion wasn't an option. I have access to a 99 (I believe) parts truck that had the same color/pattern seats, but the drivers seat was also torn. Well, the passenger seat lower cushion was in great shape, so I pulled the pass seat out and tore into it, separating the base/tracks and the seat back from the bottom. At that point removing the lower cushion/fabric from the frame is easy - there are no hog rings, just plastic strips that lock over the seat frame. Pulled my drivers seat out and did the same. Upon looking at the two cushions side by side, I could see there were some differences, but the pass cushion would work. I had to trim some foam to make room for the seat back angle adjuster, cut a small hole for the recline handle spline, and slice open some material along the rear flap - this doesn't show once the seat back is on. All in all, I was able to attach the pass lower cushion over the drivers base fairly easily. There are a few main differences in the covers. First, the shapes of the front corners are slightly different; one is slightly rounder than the other if you a nit-picking. The detail welt lines for the panels are off, so the lines running down the seat back don't align with the lower cushion - again, a minor cosmetic flaw that you kind of have to look for. Biggest issue I see to this swap is that due to a difference in the padding and shape in the side of the cushion at the rear, the seat back adjuster handle doesn't fit well, so I used the pass side one, and due to the indexed spline in the handle, it gets installed facing the rear, and you end up having to push down on it to recline the seat. Not an issue to me, since I set it to be comfortable and rarely touch it.

The job probably took me about 3 hours to pull the donor pass seat, my divers seat, do the cushion swap, and install my drivers seat. I had zero funds into this, due to the donor truck. Due to the slight cosmetic differences I mentioned, while this probably wouldn't work in a pampered show truck, I would defiantly call this a worthwhile upgrade project for a daily driver truck. The minor cosmetic differences look a lot better than the torn seat that was starting to shed orange debris onto the carpet. Sorry I can't post before/after pics - I don't use the I-net picture hosts.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Nice job, need mine done too. Think I’m going to junkyard one, can’t take the metal seat anymore.

OP
OP
E

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I tried the junkyard search for 6 months with no success. The drivers seats for 2nd gens are pretty picked over. I had found tons of nice pass seats, which got me thinking about the swap, and when the freebee donor showed up, it was just labor to see if it could work. If nothing else, this swap makes the seat way more presentable than a torn cover.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for sharig that's a great idea. I,m also sick of sitting on that steel edge. If I drive for an hour my hip is killing me.

sandlapper091064

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a manual bucket driver's side seat for my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 out of a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500.The base of it where it bolts to the floor is totally different than the base of mine.Is there any way that I can change bases and make it work?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I’ve found out that it’s cheaper just to have my original seat reupholstered. Junkyard wants 200$ for a seat that is disgusting, soaked/stained, smells bad, and don’t even know if it works. f that! Upholstery lady only wants 90$.

OP
OP
E

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I got a manual bucket driver's side seat for my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 out of a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500.The base of it where it bolts to the floor is totally different than the base of mine.Is there any way that I can change bases and make it work?

On both the seats I just had apart - mine is a '96, donor was a '99 - I unbolted the base from the floor - mine had a 15mm and 13mm nut on the rear studs, 2 - 13mm bolts holding the front, and 2 - 13mm bolts holding the center seat on. Once the seat and base was out, there were 4 - 13mm bolts holding the base to the seat bottoms frame, and a cable from the seat back release lever to the base. I would think you should be able to just bolt the 2000 seat bottom to the 1997 base.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I’ve found out that it’s cheaper just to have my original seat reupholstered. Junkyard wants 200$ for a seat that is disgusting, soaked/stained, smells bad, and don’t even know if it works. f that! Upholstery lady only wants 90$.

Yeah, that was my next option, had my "creation" not worked. The guy that owned the donor truck I got my base from had just paid $100 to have a panel replaced and some foam added. I know I've had both good and bad luck with seat repairs. I had looked for a good drivers seat for 6 months with no success, but lightly used passenger seats were plentiful and cheap. As I said, I had nada funds and about 3 hours labor in what I did, and it opens up a cheap option to us guys that don't need a show quality seat, just a comfortable one.