Driver's side door window glass replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm going to need some help. I'm a GM guy for the last fifty years and I still work on my own vehicles. Last night my driver's side door window was shattered in a smash and grab. I don't know if the alarm went off or not. This happened in a senior residence so noises may not have been heard.
I spent the morning cleaning up shattered glass shards on the interior of my truck. With a $500 deductible I might as well replace the glass myself. I need some information/ and possible diagrams of the door panel on my 2018 Dodge Ram regular cab 2500HD.
If there are any tips or suggestions I'd welcome those as well. Thanks in advance!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This video shows a guy that has a glass shop
That has never worked on a 4th Gen Ram door window

He makes several mistakes, he is more or less experimenting
his experimenting should help you

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear about your truck. You still have a deductible with glass on your insurance? That sucks!

Check this video out. It is for a, "window regulator replacement." But, our trucks actually have carrier plates and not regulators anymore.

This is a step-by-step video and is really good at showing everything you need to do. Look at 4:25 mark of this video. Also, to actually remove the glass, all you have to do is remove all of the weather strip/felt guide from around the window. So, pull all of that off and slide the new glass into the door. If you watch the video you should understand how to do it really quickly. Overall this is not a difficult job but it is a bit time consuming.

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to difficult at all had to do mine.just get to the white push clips get them pushed in and it comes right out.i went with a mopar window.got it shipped thru tasca.tried an aftermarket but the wind noise was noticeable.went oem and it was like it wasn't replaced.worth the extra money in my opinion.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to difficult at all had to do mine.just get to the white push clips get them pushed in and it comes right out.i went with a mopar window.got it shipped thru tasca.tried an aftermarket but the wind noise was noticeable.went oem and it was like it wasn't replaced.worth the extra money in my opinion.
100% agreed. When it comes to glass OEM or nothing! Especially the windshield. I have seen too many thin or cheaply made ones to risk it.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100% agreed. When it comes to glass OEM or nothing! Especially the windshield. I have seen too many thin or cheaply made ones to risk it.
Agreed... my wifes 2020 Laramie has had 2 windshields replaced since new and only has 20K on the odometer...rocks kicked up...Had to wait 2 months for the first one...only 3 weeks for the second...all due to supply chain but wouldnt accept the Chinese aftermarket glass, even though the insurance company really tried to push it...OEM or nothing...plus the OEM glass is part of the sound deadening system that is used,,,

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glass doesn't typically have a deductible, usually a "waiver of glass deductible". May want to check with your insurance company.
That is what I thought. I know I don't have one.

OP
OP
Mr Rich

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I watched two YouTube videos and I feel confident about the window replacement. It's just the cost that's difficult due to a senior's fixed income. I'm fortunate I can still do this kind of work. I'm definitely going with OEM glass.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I watched two YouTube videos and I feel confident about the window replacement. It's just the cost that's difficult due to a senior's fixed income. I'm fortunate I can still do this kind of work. I'm definitely going with OEM glass.
Bummer!! How expensive is the glass? If you have to, you could try a pull a part or auto recycler.

OP
OP
Mr Rich

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll let you know. Online prices quote MSRP as +$3XX. I'll call locally on Monday.

OP
OP
Mr Rich

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I called a local dealership in the high desert yesterday. There is no door window glass available in Southern Calif. For as many Ram trucks as there are on the road I find this absolutely ridiculous. I ordered a door window from wholesalemopar.com. We'll see how long that takes.

OP
OP
Mr Rich

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
wholesalemopar.com cancelled the order because they don't ship glass. Another website online had glass in stock but stated local pickup only. For now I've had to go with non-oem glass. I'll start working on it later this morning.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
wholesalemopar.com cancelled the order because they don't ship glass. Another website online had glass in stock but stated local pickup only. For now I've had to go with non-oem glass. I'll start working on it later this morning.
Why not try contacting Benny on this forum , he is the mopar parts man on here.

OP
OP
Mr Rich

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed my window last Thursday. The hardest part of the job was cleaning out all the broken glass from inside the door and there was quite a bit of it. I don't think Safelite would've taken the time to do that and I would've had to listen to out of tune maracas going down these bumpy desert roads I travel on had I gone that route.
I went with non-OEM glass that I found locally online. I think the site was autoglass.net, IIRC. The window is comparable to OEM other than the stamp in the corner. Seems to be the same tint, and 4.5mm thickness, and it says tempered. That has to be good enough for now.
It was rough driving around in 32 degrees minus windchill with a broken window.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know-its after the fact now but did you check any salvage yards?

juanluis

Reaction score
Ram Year
By just watching the videos, you can't be professionals either your are going to choose OEM or other. I recently got replaced my door glasses through experts and they did perfect job quickly.