Driver's side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Bad news my 2018 was side swiped while parked the other day, my local autobody shop gave me an estimate that nearly knocked me over. i think they are overcharging for some parts, an example being my drivers side mirror. When checking online there seems to be many replacement parts mostly around $500, they're quoting me over a $1000. Looking at my build sheet I can't determine the part number only the following description:
EXT. MIRRORS W/SUPPLEMENTAL SIGNALS EXTERIOR MIRRORS COURTESY LAMPS TRAILER TOW MIRRORS EXTERIOR MIRRORS W/MEMORY POWER-FOLDING MIRRORS RADIO/DRV SEAT/MIRRORS/PEDALS MEMORY and MIRRORS-TOW SPTTR PWR CONV MEM BLK

Is there anyway to determine the correct part number?
There is also a slight dent in the driver's door that they are telling me can't be repaired because of some law that specifies doors must be replaced because of structural integrity. my windows work perfectly fine so I doubt there is any structural damage inside the door. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
maybe, it's not creased at all. There are some scratches but that would be just paint work. My step is trashed but I was looking for an excuse to replace them anyway. The mirror is actually still functional, it was folded when hit, plastic on bottom was broken along with the light that points down. all motors and signal light work. Some wires are exposed/disconnected but I'm assuming they were for the broken light and maybe heater.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, without a doubt check with a different body shop.

Not being able to take a little dent out of the door is absolutely ridiculous. Chances are a paintless dent removal guy could completely fix it (aside from the scratching) in less than an hour for chump change.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First off, without a doubt check with a different body shop.

Not being able to take a little dent out of the door is absolutely ridiculous. Chances are a paintless dent removal guy could completely fix it (aside from the scratching) in less than an hour for chump change.

Agreed. I have heard of stranger laws but if it's just a panel dent in the door it should be fixable without replacement.

As for your mirror costs, I could ABSOLUTELY believe it could run $1k or better - you've got the memory function, meaning the mirrors auto-adjust to your last saved setting when you switch between towing position and normal position.

Ford has some tow mirrors that run upwards of $1500 each for replacements, so $1k is not out of the ballpark. Many of the replacements you find online are buyer beware - there's some guys on here who bought them and either didn't get the options they paid for or the mirrors didn't fit properly.

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks, today I decided to check the part numbers in my original estimate and found two wrong part numbers. I also was being charged some 30% more for the same oem parts than what online retailers are getting. I'm going to get another estimate or two and see how much they vary. I think I can replace at least two of the parts myself saving 30% on parts and associated labor.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could check with Benny from allmoparparts in the vendor section for a price on the OEM part. Never heard that requirement to replace the door, ask them for the statute that mandates that action.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Pictures or it did not happen

we can't make something up in our minds & reply

if you take pix with your phone, hold you phone horizontally

pix taken vertically, only work for pix of skinny things

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
From what I have read you have found a body shop I would steer well clear of. Check the wreckers and Ebay for a used mirror, you may be able to get just the broken parts, but even the whole mirror will be a ton cheaper than a new one. As far as the door, get a paintless repair guy to straighten it out, then get a quality shop to paint it if needed. Let us know how you make out.

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks all, will do. Weather hasn't been cooperative for pics but should be ok today. Went for a 2nd estimate yesterday afternoon and should have it today.
A little off topic but I also learned that the ambient air temp sensor is located in the lower part of the driver's mirror arm, my dash temp was reading 185 and turning on my AC in 24 degree weather for awhile and now is reading -37 :-0. My stock side steps took a lot of the impact saving more damage, I'll need to replace it. Does anyone know of a frame mounted version? I know White Knuckle and Maple Off Road have offerings but the long lead times and shipping costs to the east coast would make it a really tuff choice,

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
As promised, still waiting for 2nd estimate. Looking closer at it (it's been hard) I still can't see almost $6k for a repair. Amazing I just had it in the body shop 6 months ago to have the paint refreshed and normal dings and scratches from road debris (and parking lots) cleaned up.

Attachments

• 20230118_141313.jpg
    20230118_141313.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230118_142528.jpg
    20230118_142528.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230118_142535.jpg
    20230118_142535.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230118_141301.jpg
    20230118_141301.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 37

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From the first image, i can't tell whether that one part is broken or just moved out of place

I guess that you would have to remove the mirror glass & using a screw driver, take the mirror housing apart to see if it repairable or not

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Why are you getting estimates? Just go thru your insurance company. If you use one of their prefered shops you won't even need to have an adjuster look at it. A hit and run is a non-surcharge incident. You'll most likely have to pay your deductible, but I even got that waived once for something similar.

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The mirror housing is toast, found pieces in the street along with the broken temp sensor. I was hoping that housing was replaceable but unable to find the mopar part number. The body work "clean up" I had done 6 months ago was prompted partly by a ding and crease I had received parked in a parking lot and had gone through my insurance so I am concerned by another claim so soon. Here in NY there is additional paper work and notifications that have to made to the PD and DMV (depending on total damage value) also which was a royal pain last time. That said if the 2nd estimate is in the same ball park I will probably go that route. Also the 1st shop I went to is basically "just replace parts" and paint with fast turn arounds. I'm hoping this 2nd shop which is family owned and around for awhile is more into repair/metal work, offering a more realistic estimate.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The mirror housing is toast, found pieces in the street along with the broken temp sensor. I was hoping that housing was replaceable but unable to find the mopar part number. The body work "clean up" I had done 6 months ago was prompted partly by a ding and crease I had received parked in a parking lot and had gone through my insurance so I am concerned by another claim so soon. Here in NY there is additional paper work and notifications that have to made to the PD and DMV (depending on total damage value) also which was a royal pain last time. That said if the 2nd estimate is in the same ball park I will probably go that route. Also the 1st shop I went to is basically "just replace parts" and paint with fast turn arounds. I'm hoping this 2nd shop which is family owned and around for awhile is more into repair/metal work, offering a more realistic estimate.
Yeah I can get why going the insurance route is concerning you...Sounds like you need to live/work in an area where you aren't parking on the street. (I jest - I know many don't have the option).

Does make me glad I live in the country, work at a place with a fenced-in lot, and rarely have to park on a city street.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Amazon has replacement mirrors for cheap, they have lots of options too including powered ones

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the mirror…i have purchased an aftermarket replacement mirror assembly before. Never again. Looked perfect, but was a piece of junk. Poor quality. When driving down the road the glass would vibrate around and made it basically worthless. While the price will suck you in, i would pony up for an oem unit if i had to do it again.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad news my 2018 was side swiped while parked the other day, my local autobody shop gave me an estimate that nearly knocked me over. i think they are overcharging for some parts, an example being my drivers side mirror. When checking online there seems to be many replacement parts mostly around $500, they're quoting me over a $1000. Looking at my build sheet I can't determine the part number only the following description:
EXT. MIRRORS W/SUPPLEMENTAL SIGNALS EXTERIOR MIRRORS COURTESY LAMPS TRAILER TOW MIRRORS EXTERIOR MIRRORS W/MEMORY POWER-FOLDING MIRRORS RADIO/DRV SEAT/MIRRORS/PEDALS MEMORY and MIRRORS-TOW SPTTR PWR CONV MEM BLK

Is there anyway to determine the correct part number?
There is also a slight dent in the driver's door that they are telling me can't be repaired because of some law that specifies doors must be replaced because of structural integrity. my windows work perfectly fine so I doubt there is any structural damage inside the door. Any thoughts?
Be wary of any layperson who quotes law as a reason for their action or, in this case, inaction. Although they may sincerely believe they are spewing truth, most often they couldn't be more incorrect. Check it out with a licensed barrister.
Get another opinion from another body shop.

Interpreting law is difficult for laypeople (us peons) to elucidate into regular jargon, and the proper spirit of that law in how it has been written. Heck, even cops get it wrong often.