Driveshaft fell out of the Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So... driving on the weekend when out of no where I had this howling/whine noise from the rear end during deceleration only. Immediately turned around to go home, drove maybe 3min and the shaft fell out.

Not a case of ujoints broke or anything, it took them, and I guess part of the pinion out with it... not sure the part names.

Looked online and on carcomplaints.com and just Google in general and a LOT of people had this issue apparently... however... it seems that they only did a recall for the 2005-2008 years not 2002-2004, despite being the same gen and same issue.

Anyone know anything that may help in this situation? or sadly, just outta luck...

Part of me wants to grab a dead '05 from the wreckers and drag it into Dodge and get the recall done... don't think recall says it has to be operational. Then swap it out to my '03. :D

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pinion nut came loose and dropped the pinion yoke (along with your driveshaft) out on the pavement?

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I believe the same as this video... didn't break off at the ujoint, rather took everything up to the differential as well.

Had it towed directly to a garage locally, so didn't look at it much. Pulled the shaft out and stuck it in the trunk, then had it towed. Couldn't get it off the flatbed easily either because the truck wheels wouldn't go backwards.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
3 weeks to get fixed... wreckers damaged a part when shipped it.

$1700CAD (and a few extra fee's that are questionable) later it's back on the road. Basically swapped out the rear end and shaft. I had them check to see if the recall was done on the replacement one.