Drivetrain 'Shudder' when backing up and turning. Rear Suspension, Differential, Transmission or what ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamnq6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ive got the same shudder / grumble both forward and reverse. It certainly differential related as the shudder goes away when steering axle returns to zero. I'm planning a dealer trip here in 2 weeks for some other issues.

I've got a 2020 with under 17k miles...

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let me know how the dealer treats you. I will do the same when I get in there.

It is starting to do it going forwards now. As if making a slow acceleration from a right hand turn, like after stopping for pedestrians at a signal and then pulling away.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 ram 2500 with limited slip had a similar issue. Around 15k mile, the truck would shudder on turns from a dead stop. Noticed it was more prominent when warm. Especially towing. kept getting worse. Figured it out. The rear end helical was locking up. changed the diff fluid and that fixed it immediately. Have ran the new fluid for 30k miles with zero shudder.

Now the difference between our trucks is the locker. I'm assuming you have a true Power Wagon. They did not come with a limited slip.

Unless i missed it from not reading all the posts, change the fluid. cheap. See if that helps. And to some of the other posters, no friction additive is require. No clutch packs.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 ram 2500 with limited slip had a similar issue. Around 15k mile, the truck would shudder on turns from a dead stop. Noticed it was more prominent when warm. Especially towing. kept getting worse. Figured it out. The rear end helical was locking up. changed the diff fluid and that fixed it immediately. Have ran the new fluid for 30k miles with zero shudder.

Now the difference between our trucks is the locker. I'm assuming you have a true Power Wagon. They did not come with a limited slip.

Unless i missed it from not reading all the posts, change the fluid. cheap. See if that helps. And to some of the other posters, no friction additive is require. No clutch packs.
While the power wagon does have an electronic locker in the rear (and front) diff, the rear also has a helicoil limited slip.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While the power wagon does have an electronic locker in the rear (and front) diff, the rear also has a helicoil limited slip.
Went back and read in full the OP. My advice is irrelevant to him (already preformed)… but I want to know more about this. How can you have a true locker and limited slip? Not questioning you, want to educate myself.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '08 2500 does it also forward pulling off from a stop after a long drive (couple of hours of highway driving) while turning. Just feels like something underneath would be binding or something either U-joints or my 3.73 rear diff and same thing when backing up in my driveway while turning. Started about a year ago while pulling my 5ft wheel RV to the point I actually thought something underneath was just gonna pop. I've replaced both front wheel bearing hubs few weeks ago and did inspect the front axle U-joints while at it but didn't see anything wrong with them. Truck has 85k miles on it. Changed both front and rear diff fluid 2 years ago at around 70k miles.

Last edited:

John Lardino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greeting, all. 2019 1500 - I have been the only owner and have no mods. I have noticed this same phenomenon with my truck (43K miles) for a while and finally decided to search our forum about it. I get this same shudder at low speeds while putting in steering input and to me, it feels as if it's maybe a problem with the power steering - almost like the pump doesn't have enough pressure to smoothly drive the system... almost like it just bogs down or lugs like if you grab too high of a gear in a manual transmission... I'd love to know what is going on! All the best!!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 PW had the same symptom from new. A shuddering groaning feeling when reversing and turning hard. Got better as it broke in on mine. I have read occasional similar reports. My 2022 has never done it.

The PW rear differential is unlike any other model, there are posts in the forum discussing this, so I’m not going to rehash all that.

I suspect these complaints result from some quality control variables in the helical torque biasing components. By its nature, a torsen diff wants to go in a straight line when power is applied. Under the conditions where this is felt, it’s not surprising to feel some stress being built up and released as the differential and the rear tires contend over whether they’re going to rotate at different speeds or not.

Considering yours is getting worse, it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a tech to ride with you and demonstrate the issue in a parking lot. Not the service writer, a mechanic!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 PW had the same symptom from new. A shuddering groaning feeling when reversing and turning hard. Got better as it broke in on mine. I have read occasional similar reports. My 2022 has never done it.

The PW rear differential is unlike any other model, there are posts in the forum discussing this, so I’m not going to rehash all that.

I suspect these complaints result from some quality control variables in the helical torque biasing components. By its nature, a torsen diff wants to go in a straight line when power is applied. Under the conditions where this is felt, it’s not surprising to feel some stress being built up and released as the differential and the rear tires contend over whether they’re going to rotate at different speeds or not.

Considering yours is getting worse, it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a tech to ride with you and demonstrate the issue in a parking lot. Not the service writer, a mechanic!

When you had this special rear diff noise, wasn't it pretty obvious that it was originating at the rear end?

Any time I've heard power steering pump noises, they're usually quite obvious to be at the front end.

Maybe, @John Lardino could get a couple of buddies to drive around with all the windows opened, then closed, and collectively decide which end the noise originates.

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Decided to post a reply here as this was the exact same issue and symptoms I was experiencing on my truck… but it has been resolved!

I checked all the u-joints, and everything else suggested in this thread before doing a fluid change.

Fresh Redline 75W90, and it’s done. I can’t replicate the shudder at all, at any speed, any wheel turned direction, going forward or reverse.

Fluid change was 3 days ago. The day after doing it, we got evacuated from the city due to wildfires and I’ve put 700km on it now with zero repeat of issues, even when trying to do it in a parking lot after 7+ hours of driving.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation scratching their head on where to look!

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not to add on to this... and I don't have a power wagon... just a lowly 1500. But I'm chasing something similar. It does seem to be after the truck is warmed up... although I don't have to drive many miles on the highway first. Even just 5 to 10 min of in town driving.

Always at low speeds. Very similar to what's been described. I did lift up the rear end the other day...
How much "slop" would you expect in the system. So truck is in park, one rear wheel off the ground, free spinning the wheel. Obviously the wheel doesn't go very far as it starts to come against the driveshaft that's locked through the trans. But how much play would you expect there to be with a system that's working well??

Wyowagn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Got a 21 PW with 14k and the only mod has been 35's. About 5k on the tires and have the same shudder started about 2 weeks ago. Really curious on this also as the local dealer is less than awesome and the next closest is 2hr away.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Buddy had something similar, they replaced rear end and did not help, internet thinks a bearing in the drive shaft...nonissues on my 17 he has a 19