Driving with lost key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butthead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I’m curious about losing my key fob and I’m far from home. I have Uconnect so I can enter and start but there’s no way to drive? Middle of nowhere and my truck runs but I can’t drive it. I understand the security part of it but it seems like there should be a solution.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Only solution is to keep a spare FOB, with battery removed, and the battery hidden somewhere in the truck. Outside of that you are SOL. (Take the battery out so a thief can't just push the start button, doesn't even have to find the FOB. Also, it allows the truck to go to sleep properly, which it won't if the battery is in the FOB. Not sleeping will flatten the battery.)

P.S. What BCB said is accurate as long as the truck was running to start with but that is not the common case in my experience. It does however make a good argument for not starting the truck and walking away to let it warm up or leave it running while you pop into the convenience store. A thief can hop in and drive off, even without the FOB.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i've left my keys in the community mailbox twice and drove away in to town and only noticed when the evic told me the keys were away from the truck.i had to drive the 6 kilometers back to the mailbox and retrieve them.as long as you don't turn off the truck you can still drive it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you pay the monthly fee for Uconnect, you can call Uconnect & have them Open & Start your Chrysler product, you should be able to drive to a Locksmith that has a programmer, ie: Ace Hardware
They can make a FOB for you, you just need to ID yourself
call them in advance, to make sure that that store has the ability to make a workable FOB for your Ram.

Pressing the ASSIST BUTTON on your rear view mirror connects you to Ram Headquarters, i don't know much about that service.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you pay the monthly fee for Uconnect, you can call Uconnect & have them Open & Start your Chrysler product, you should be able to drive to a Locksmith that has a programmer, ie: Ace Hardware
They can make a FOB for you, you just need to ID yourself
call them in advance, to make sure that that store has the ability to make a workable FOB for your Ram.

Pressing the ASSIST BUTTON on your rear view mirror connects you to Ram Headquarters, i don't know much about that service.
Uconnect can open and remote start the truck, by phone or on the Uconnect app, but as far as I know, it will not allow you to drive it. As soon as you touch the brake to put it in gear, it shuts down if you have no FOB, just like any other remote start.