DRL fog wiring recomendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi.
I'm wondering if there is an easy to access nearby wire I could tap into for my drl fog lights that doesnt require running a fuse tap in the tipm.
I have projector headlights and currently tapped into the park light wire #2. However this means that the fog drls only run when the headlights are on or parking lights are on. I want them to run when my headlights are on, parking lights are on and when my headlight's drl are on.
I could tap into wire #4 which is the drl for the headlights but then i have the opposite problem where it only runs with the headlight drl but not when headlights are on.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the projectors, it doesnt appear any of the 9 wires in the bundle will accomplish what I want. So do I settle, or is there a correct way to do it?

Any advice is appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi.
I'm wondering if there is an easy to access nearby wire I could tap into for my drl fog lights that doesnt require running a fuse tap in the tipm.
I have projector headlights and currently tapped into the park light wire #2. However this means that the fog drls only run when the headlights are on or parking lights are on. I want them to run when my headlights are on, parking lights are on and when my headlight's drl are on.
I could tap into wire #4 which is the drl for the headlights but then i have the opposite problem where it only runs with the headlight drl but not when headlights are on.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the projectors, it doesnt appear any of the 9 wires in the bundle will accomplish what I want. So do I settle, or is there a correct way to do it?

Any advice is appreciated.
@Mpgrimm2 might be able to make a custom harness for you that will integrate into the factory switch and give you the functionality you are looking for.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the offer but I dont think it would be worth the efforts. I think I just need to look around for a fused wire that gets power when I turn on the vehicle that's within reach of the fogs. I will report on my findings if I have sucess for anyone to reference in the future

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thanks for the offer but I dont think it would be worth the efforts. I think I just need to look around for a fused wire that gets power when I turn on the vehicle that's within reach of the fogs. I will report on my findings if I have sucess for anyone to reference in the future
You asked for the correct way to do it, @SitKneelBend gave you the correct way and it's not worth it? SMH ...

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You asked for the correct way to do it, @SitKneelBend gave you the correct way and it's not worth it? SMH ...
What I meant is it's not worth his time to figure it out because I probably wouldnt be able to afford it to make it worth his time. And i dont have the time in the near future to tear into myself. Was wondering if I had missed something simple, but yes good to know thank you. I dont mean to offend sorry. Everyone is so touchy these days with all the politically correctness if I dont fully explain myself people like you jump in and get offended.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
What I meant is it's not worth his time to figure it out because I probably wouldnt be able to afford it to make it worth his time. And i dont have the time in the near future to tear into myself. Was wondering if I had missed something simple, but yes good to know thank you. I dont mean to offend sorry. Everyone is so touchy these days with all the politically correctness if I dont fully explain myself people like you jump in and get offended.
Nope, it wasn't me getting offended ... you asked for the correct way and he posted what it was ...but you cleared it up and he sees your point of view ... nothing to do with politically correct here lol ... but if you want to see it that way hey ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be fair, I get it. He wants to do it himself using minimal modification.

I do agree though that the custom harness is the best way, but not the only way...
Turns out I'm an idiot, the fogs are backlit, not drl so the light isnt even visible in daylight. Problem solved. I hadn't even tested them during the day till this weekend, so having them with the park lights is the only option that makes sense. I was hoping the amber back light would be bright like the projectors drl and compliment it, but that was not the case.

AaronW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Mpgrimm2 might be able to make a custom harness for you that will integrate into the factory switch and give you the functionality you are looking for.
I have an ‘08 1500 without any fog lights & wanted to add some. What would a rough cost be to have a wiring harness made that can use a factory switch?

Thanks,

Aaron