Drop Hitch brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have any of you used the Weight Safe brand of drop hitch? If yes, is it a reliable product? Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One thing overlooked about the weightsafe hitches, by the time you see a weight that is "too heavy" you should already be using a WDH. They might be nice to know what the tongue weight is, but you also need to know how much the entire trailer weighs to know if your in the 10-15% range.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have any of you used the Weight Safe brand of drop hitch? If yes, is it a reliable product? Thanks.

I think so, it hasn't given me any reason to think it isn't reliable. I have a 2 1/2" shack, 10-inch drop, with the scale on my 2015 3500. The scale is awesome, for the first time I can load my equipment trailer properly without guessing or discovering while towing, I have a trailer loading issues.

I called Weight Safe before I bought, I was curious what the scale's accuracy was, I was told 50 pounds. Good enough for me.

One thing overlooked about the weightsafe hitches, by the time you see a weight that is "too heavy" you should already be using a WDH. They might be nice to know what the tongue weight is, but you also need to know how much the entire trailer weighs to know if your in the 10-15% range.

For a fixed weight trailer like a camper, yes.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
If I end up replacing my Trimax Razor it'll be with a Weigh Safe. The shop I buy my car trailers carry and recommend them.

It would make car loading a little easier for placement. It would help determine axle placement on boat trailers too. I never use WD hitches.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I absolutely love my weigh safe, three different balls sizes, 10” drop, correct shank size, and the scale is cool too. Helped me load my travel trailer properly, and has been super easy to just swap a ball out for all the other trailers I’ve pulled.

Worth every penny, and the fact it’s Aluminium makes it easy for me to move it around and I can take it apart and put it away.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After much research and Youtube videos, I recently chose the 6” drop WeighSafe 180° hitch. Gave a lot of thought to that WeighSafe with the scale built-in to it but I just couldn’t wrap my mind around that much extra cost just to have that scale. I like how that particular hitch is flat on the bottom to minimize ground clearance and all, and I almost bought that one just for that but again, that scale....lol. I don’t need it and I didn’t wanna find out if it’s reliability would ever be in question so that’s why I got the 180° instead. $276 on Amazon for the hitch and the keyed-alike locking hitch pin added in.

Besides- I figure since my truck has auto-leveling air suspension that I shouldn’t have decreased clearance due to the back end of my truck not squatting like a typical spring-ride truck would. Plus if I’m ever in rough, uneven terrain, I can pump’er up to OR-2 mode and be good to go 2 inches higher...lol. ed250947a8dc514e87374bb6430cdc09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That looks great corneileous. I still have not purchesed one but will when I can. All my extra money went to the Diamondback cover on order.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great corneileous. I still have not purchesed one but will when I can. All my extra money went to the Diamondback cover on order.

I sure like it. It fits my receiver really well. Almost like it was made for it. I still bought a hitch tightener for it just to minimize any rattling as I could in the receiver tube. The ball mount/holder is also a nice tight fit. Seems like a really well-made hitch.

But yeah I was going to tell ya since you haven’t bought one yet but just in case if you don’t need that little scale like I didn’t and if you might be concerned about ground clearance, one of them times I was on the phone with Weigh safe asking product questions, they did tell me that they were currently designing a new hitch that I’m pretty sure they said was flat on the bottom but it wasn’t gonna have a scale on the side of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one on my previous 14 2500 6.4 mega cab and when we traded for this 18 1500 I bough the 2” shank with 6” drop/rise. Switched all the attachments over, absolutely love it. I don’t have the one with the scale, I have the one with the turn over balls, I have both sets of balls in the event I need them.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought mine in the mid 90's for my 2500 4x4 diesel. and I think it was made by Anderson. I believe at the time they called it the "rapid hitch". It has served me well, and I kept it after I sold the diesel, and now use it on the 1500. I like the idea of the weight scale and would consider that if I didn't already have one.